Jessup Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 483 students

Posted January 6, 2014

Ms. Dempsey is the worse principal I have ever came in contact with. My oldest had Ms. Dempsey at Manor View Elementary school and Ms. Dempsey does not care about the students we had a lot of problems with my child's teacher and Ms. Dempsey wouldn't do anything about this teacher bullying my child so we had to go to the school board over it. So we moved and my child started going to Jessup Elementary school until Ms. Dempsey was moved to Jessup and we again pulled our child out of the school. Ms. Dempsey told us as long as she is the principal of the school my child goes to she (my child) would not succeed. I feel for all the students, staff and parents who have to deal with Ms. Dempsey. When Ms. Dempsey was at Manor View elementary so many teachers and staff moved to other school or quit their jobs. We lost some amazing teachers and staff because of Ms. Dempsey. There were many parents pulling their child/children out to home school them.

Posted June 11, 2013

I could not disagree more with the last parents negative tone towards the other parent for voicing their opinion. It is pretty assuming and insulting to state that the person providing feedback is not involved. My child has been at Jessup for 3 yrs. I'm very involved. I have to be because the standard of teaching my child has received this year has been less then acceptable. Had it not been for my involvement and intervention, I'm not sure that my child would have ever gotten the assistance he needed to be successful. There have been some wonderful teachers who had a passion for teaching and do their jobs incredibly well. There are others there purely to collect a paycheck and barely teach. I found the guidance counselor exceptionally rude when I brought these issues to her attention. Thankfully, my son's teacher went out on leave and the substitute has been amazing. He's really done a 180 with her because she cares enough to actually work with him. I can't comment on the principle because she's never called me back when I have reach out to her and I was told she was too busy to speak with me when I was at the school.

Posted June 9, 2013

Jessup offers tremendous possibilities for every child (as well as staff and family members)! (I'm shocked at the negative feedback provided by the previous parent. Anyone who states that the Principal doesn't care about the children, doesn't know the Principal - and couldn't possibly be very involved at the school! It's wearisome hearing complaints written by un-involved parents. If you see a "hole/gap", then step up and volunteer - and make a difference! School-wide success depends on everyone's involvement and drive.) Jessup staff, teachers and families are phenomenal! (As in any school/organization, there are those key individuals that choose to "make a difference" - and the family members that volunteer & the individual teachers and staff that "go the extra mile" are AMAZING!) Jessup youth will be the future leaders of our community and nation! Don't miss out on an incredible opportunity! Come to Jessup and make a contribution/grow/progress!

Posted May 2, 2013

This school is horrible, due mostly due the administration. The principal is rarely accessible and doesn't care at all about the kids, I don't think she has any idea what she's doing. Some teachers are great, others are awful and nothing is done about it. There's no consequences for anything at this school. I do not feel safe having my child attend. Some of the teachers are condescending and rude to both parents AND STUDENTS (think: teacher cliques), others are absolutely WONDERFUL...I feel bad that their dedication isn't truly rewarded at Jessup. Until a new principal is moved in, this school is going downhill fast. I can't wait to have my child out of here and I've heard many people pull their kids out to home school.

Posted July 26, 2012

This year was my daughters first year at Jessup Elementary. She had the best first grade teacher ever (Ms. Lanman)!! My daughter came home and talked about her teacher everyday! I love the parental involvement and I had the chance to participate in several school activities alongside of my daughter. The staff is very caring and they made my daughter feel extra special! I would recommend this school to anyone :-)

Posted January 5, 2012

Most of the teachers are great Miss Laman a first grade teacher is outstanding great person and teacher. The Principal is ok but I feel she takes concerns lightly. I feel jessup needs a good scrubing for it is not the cleanest of schools. What I love about the school is they are open to parent involvement.

Posted June 16, 2011

I feel bad for this school. They are getting a horrible principle next year. She came from Manor View where she bullied the teachers and staff. More than half of the teachers quit because of her. She doesn't care about the students or the families. She has been in trouble with the BOE but they have yet to fire her. It took 8 years to get her out of Manor View. Good luck to the families at Jessup. You'll need it.

Posted May 8, 2011

I was a student at Jessup and but I'm in high school now. While I can't tell you about it now I can tell you that when I went to there it was the best. I wouldn't have wanted to go any where else, I loved it :D

Posted November 8, 2010

My son is having a lot of bullying problems at this school. I am so tired of the stress of not knowing what's going to happened to my child. He's was the type to love school, but know he rather stay home. If your child have tough skin this is the school for them. If not, look else where. I don't want anyone to go through what I'm going through now.

Posted May 5, 2010

Jessup is a great school. The teachers and staff really listen to the kids and help them when they need it. They are super encouraging, and always give the children a sense of self worth and accomplishment.

Posted May 4, 2010

I love Jessup Elementary because their teachers honestly care about their students education. They always go above and beyond to help all students all the time

Posted May 3, 2010

I have Grandkids that go to this school, All the Teachers care for the children as if they was there children.The children love there school.

Posted May 3, 2010

The Principal, Vice Principal and all of the teachers have by far exceeded all expectations I had and am very glad to have my son attending Jessup.

Posted May 3, 2010

My kids loved this school. The teachers were great!!

Posted May 3, 2010

I really appreciate the time the teachers take with the parents if their child is having difficulties. The teachers are exceptional as well as the principal and the vice principal.

Posted May 3, 2010

As a teacher who has been at a lot of different schools through out the county, I can honestly say that the students and staff at Jessup are outstanding. The school is diverse in the truest sense of the word. I truly love teaching these students and working with their families.

Posted May 3, 2010

I love Jessup because the teachers are wonderful and care about the students. All three of my kids attend Jessup and are all on the honor roll.

Posted May 3, 2010

As a former teacher, I speak very highly of the school, the dedicated staff, and the talented students that I met. Go Jaguars!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 28, 2010

The parents and teachers are genuinely concerned with the education and well-being of my children.

Posted April 28, 2010

Jessup provides a safe and caring learning environment for my child. It is such a joy to know that my child is getting a quality education at a great school with great teachers and solid leadership. Jessup Elementary is the best!

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Maryland used the Maryland School Assessment (MSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The MSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2014.

48 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

72 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2014.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 39%N/A42%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2900 Elementary School Ln