Jessup, MD
Before care: Yes

Posted November 12, 2014
We have seen significant improvements throughout the school over the past two years. Jessup Elementary is the 1st Leader in Me school in Maryland, a Green School and received a significant technology grant, allowing enough iPads for all students! The teachers are dedicated and listen to parents. Jessup teachers challenge my children, which is to me one of the most important aspects of the learning environment. Thoroughly pleased parent.

Jessup Elementary School 4

Posted November 08, 2014
My son has attended this school since Kindergarten and has had a great experience. There are some bad children at this school but honestly only a select few. As parents we choose to be very involved in his schooling. We have hand selected each teacher and so far my son has loved them all. The hours are good and may parents are involved when it comes to volunteering. It seems this schools bad rap is not deserved in my opinion. For those who are saying negative things about Ms. Dempsey (Principal) we have seen only good things from her. She seems to be involved, arriving at school early and staying late. The school is clean and small which we like as well. All in all this school is a good choice and do not be swayed by the less than perfect reputation. The kids are good and well mannered and as a parent you have to be involved in any school that your children attend.

Jessup Elementary School 1

Posted January 06, 2014
Ms. Dempsey is the worse principal I have ever came in contact with. My oldest had Ms. Dempsey at Manor View Elementary school and Ms. Dempsey does not care about the students we had a lot of problems with my child's teacher and Ms. Dempsey wouldn't do anything about this teacher bullying my child so we had to go to the school board over it. So we moved and my child started going to Jessup Elementary school until Ms. Dempsey was moved to Jessup and we again pulled our child out of the school. Ms. Dempsey told us as long as she is the principal of the school my child goes to she (my child) would not succeed. I feel for all the students, staff and parents who have to deal with Ms. Dempsey. When Ms. Dempsey was at Manor View elementary so many teachers and staff moved to other school or quit their jobs. We lost some amazing teachers and staff because of Ms. Dempsey. There were many parents pulling their child/children out to home school them.

Jessup Elementary School 3

Posted June 11, 2013
I could not disagree more with the last parents negative tone towards the other parent for voicing their opinion. It is pretty assuming and insulting to state that the person providing feedback is not involved. My child has been at Jessup for 3 yrs. I'm very involved. I have to be because the standard of teaching my child has received this year has been less then acceptable. Had it not been for my involvement and intervention, I'm not sure that my child would have ever gotten the assistance he needed to be successful. There have been some wonderful teachers who had a passion for teaching and do their jobs incredibly well. There are others there purely to collect a paycheck and barely teach. I found the guidance counselor exceptionally rude when I brought these issues to her attention. Thankfully, my son's teacher went out on leave and the substitute has been amazing. He's really done a 180 with her because she cares enough to actually work with him. I can't comment on the principle because she's never called me back when I have reach out to her and I was told she was too busy to speak with me when I was at the school.

Posted June 09, 2013
Jessup offers tremendous possibilities for every child (as well as staff and family members)! (I'm shocked at the negative feedback provided by the previous parent. Anyone who states that the Principal doesn't care about the children, doesn't know the Principal - and couldn't possibly be very involved at the school! It's wearisome hearing complaints written by un-involved parents. If you see a "hole/gap", then step up and volunteer - and make a difference! School-wide success depends on everyone's involvement and drive.) Jessup staff, teachers and families are phenomenal! (As in any school/organization, there are those key individuals that choose to "make a difference" - and the family members that volunteer & the individual teachers and staff that "go the extra mile" are AMAZING!) Jessup youth will be the future leaders of our community and nation! Don't miss out on an incredible opportunity! Come to Jessup and make a contribution/grow/progress!

Jessup Elementary School 1

Posted May 02, 2013
This school is horrible, due mostly due the administration. The principal is rarely accessible and doesn't care at all about the kids, I don't think she has any idea what she's doing. Some teachers are great, others are awful and nothing is done about it. There's no consequences for anything at this school. I do not feel safe having my child attend. Some of the teachers are condescending and rude to both parents AND STUDENTS (think: teacher cliques), others are absolutely WONDERFUL...I feel bad that their dedication isn't truly rewarded at Jessup. Until a new principal is moved in, this school is going downhill fast. I can't wait to have my child out of here and I've heard many people pull their kids out to home school.

Posted July 26, 2012
This year was my daughters first year at Jessup Elementary. She had the best first grade teacher ever (Ms. Lanman)!! My daughter came home and talked about her teacher everyday! I love the parental involvement and I had the chance to participate in several school activities alongside of my daughter. The staff is very caring and they made my daughter feel extra special! I would recommend this school to anyone :-)

Jessup Elementary School 4

Posted January 05, 2012
Most of the teachers are great Miss Laman a first grade teacher is outstanding great person and teacher. The Principal is ok but I feel she takes concerns lightly. I feel jessup needs a good scrubing for it is not the cleanest of schools. What I love about the school is they are open to parent involvement.

Jessup Elementary School 2

Posted June 16, 2011
I feel bad for this school. They are getting a horrible principle next year. She came from Manor View where she bullied the teachers and staff. More than half of the teachers quit because of her. She doesn't care about the students or the families. She has been in trouble with the BOE but they have yet to fire her. It took 8 years to get her out of Manor View. Good luck to the families at Jessup. You'll need it.

Posted May 08, 2011
I was a student at Jessup and but I'm in high school now. While I can't tell you about it now I can tell you that when I went to there it was the best. I wouldn't have wanted to go any where else, I loved it :D

Jessup Elementary School
2900 Elementary School Ln, Jessup, MD  20794
Last modified Jessup Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Jessup Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 43 reviews. Top