Kensington, MD

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 30, 2015
This is a two year preschool program plus kindergarten year. There is no homework, nor should there be for children that young.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted June 30, 2015
The staff did an excellent job of helping the children learn to identify their feelings and to use their words to work out issues with other children.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 30, 2015
Again, our daughter has a great experience. The incredible diversity of the school helped our daughter learn about many different cultures and life situations; all were equally valued.

Posted June 30, 2015
My child had an excellent experience at this school. As parents, communicating with the administration was challenging and they often weren't very organized. So, as parents, I found navigating Crossway to be challenging, but it was a fantastic experience for our daughter.

Posted June 30, 2015
My two daughters attended Crossway from preschool through K for one, and pre-K for the other. I cannot say enough good things about our experience with the school. My younger daughter started there at 15 months, and I feel the infant community gave her a strong foundation for learning that serves her to this day. My older daughter transitioned well from Crossway to MCPS in 1st grade. They thrived under the Montessori model and as a parent I learned so much from the teahcers, administrators and the parent education opportunities that were offered. From the moment I attended the open house, saw the amazing outdoor space, vegetable garden, and classrooms I knew that it was exactly what I wanted for my children. I knew little about Montessori when we started, but learned a lot through the teachers and staff there and came to understand why it is such an effective method of learning for children. I wish we had the resources to continue a Montessori education but I am grateful for the tools that I was given while we were there to incorporate it into our home. They led by example to instill the values of courtesy and grace - teachers sit with children at meals to model behavior, children are given age-appropriate responsibility to foster self-confidence and independence - all in a warm and loving environment. I entrusted my children to them during the most formative years and highly recommend the school. I found the teachers and administration responsive to my requests or inquiries. I didn't always agree with the choices of the administration but I felt I was able to dialog with them when I had questions or concerns. I believe they try to keep their overhead low as they are not only running the private preschool but also their program for single mothers, so they don't have extra staff and sometimes you need to reach out more than once for a response but I haven't found the administration at MCPS to be more responsive to parents and I don't feel MCPS provides as much support and educational opportunities to parents.

Posted June 30, 2015
While I would have to agree with many of the posts about Crossway's administration, we kept our two kids at the school for six years due to our belief in the Montessori system and the excellent, dedicated teachers. We also appreciated the diversity in the classroom, something not found in other private preschools in this area. Our kids loved the school and really flourished there. My older child had a very easy adjustment to an MCPS elementary school. I am indebted to the dedicated staff for providing my children with a safe, stimulating, calm environment that encouraged independence, risk-taking, and respect.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted June 24, 2015
The children are expected to be submissive and any child who is headstrong is singled out.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted June 24, 2015
The children are never given any homework. They claim that this is the "Montessori" way.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted June 24, 2015
The teachers are kept on a very tight leash by the administration, which prevents them from being effective.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted June 24, 2015
I don't think anyone at this the school has any respect for anyone else. Parents, children, teachers, and staff are all constantly disrespected by the administration. This has created a very toxic environment.

3015 Upton Drive, Kensington, MD  20895
Last modified Crossway Community Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-1
Crossway Community Montessori School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 90 reviews. Top