Albert Einstein High School

Public | 9-12 | 1595 students

Posted May 5, 2014

This is my son's first year and he loves it. The school is very inclusive and activities are readily accessible. Great group of parents. Their participation is about average for a school this size. There are just enough folks to get quality programs going but more parent involvement would make Einstein a top tier school. Leadership is tried and true and have seen them in many after-school activities. The faculty and staff is visible and so far seemed proficient in their jobs. Word of caution: some teachers like handouts a little too much. This is usually a sign of lazy teachers who at the turn of a moment will direct you to what has been completed and what has not been turned in if your student is not doing well in class. Overall my son has found a home and I am glad. He is involved in Cross Country and they are a great and diverse group of kids.

Posted February 14, 2014

My daughter is enjoying her time at Einstein. The principle is fantastic, and the teachers enthusiastic. They have a variety of programs that meet the needs all most/all of the kids. Very happy with our decision to go there. Please note, that most of the reviews below are VERY old and do not fully represent today's Einstein!

Posted February 5, 2014

This is very teacher-dependent. We make a point of contacting our daughter's teachers at the beginning of the year, both with a detailed email and in person, if necessary. Some teachers actually get it, and our daughter does very well in those classes. Other teachers just see a quiet kid who never turns in her homework; they do nothing to reach out to help her. We are very pleased with our daughter's case manager, however, who is with her all the way through high school. She has been very helpful in setting our daughter's class schedule, intervening with teachers as necessary, and providing lunchtime and after school support to our daughter. We do feel frustrated by the county-wide policy of full inclusion, which unfortunately does not work well for our daughter. The various accommodations in her IEP can't address the main issue, which is that she needs to be in smaller class settings and have more one-on-one teaching time. A large public school system just can't provide that.

Posted April 13, 2013

Einstein is absolutely WONDERFUL as a school! While I am moving because of personal reasons, I would recommend Einstein to any kid with a desire to be a part of theatre, art, music, sports, academics, or languages. The students are very accepting, and there is a blind student in our school with a guide dog, and he is included in everything, such as main roles in the school play. While there are a few teachers who are less than fantastic, many of the teachers are very helpful if you make the effort to see them during lunch (which is 50 minutes so students can spend half of it eating and half getting help from their teachers). Also, besides the general obnoxious attitude sophomores have, there is not a "class war." However, there are occasionally fights in school, but it is usually between the kids who aren't trying to participate in class anyways. Regardless, this school is amazing!

Posted August 28, 2012

Sub par school, couldn't wait to get out of there. The students don't really care. Only a handful of good teachers.

Posted June 24, 2012

The school is wonderful, I love it so much; I can't wait to go back. I am a sophomore and when I arrive at Einstein my only attention was being in the VAC (Visual Art Center) I really didn't care about the school, in fact I thought it would be awful but the minute I step into Einstein I fell in love with it. It was not difficult at all to make new friends considering the Fact that the kids are creative, smart, artistic, and nice..... Well most of them. I m also getting a wonderful and rigorous education with the wide range of honors and AP courses at Einstein. The classes are 45 minutes (7 classes a day) NO BLOCK SCHEDULE! Which I prefer and so do most teachers. In the school you are require to choose an academy most of the student body choose VAPA (Visual and Performing arts Academy) but I'm in the VAC which is such a great place and program to be in if you re an artists. Kids from the whole county apply to this program but they only let in a small amount in each year. The school is beautiful and decorated with art and the community is very accepting and spirited. The IB program is so intense most students don't even make it by senior year.

Posted February 8, 2012

I love this school, I m so glad of the education I get from Albert Einstein High School ,The kids are just so excepting of each other but there are some kids you wonder about but don t all high school have them? The school is just great and beautiful and when I say beautiful I mean BEA-TI-FUL.The school is the location of the VAC (Visual Art Center) and the paintings the kids do in that program is so professional it will just blow your mind, but this is basically an arts school so the talent in the VAPA (Visual and Performing art academy) is just as great. The school has all 7th periods a day which is good especially if you re taking a foreign langue so you won t forget anything. The lunch is an hour so you have time to eat and visit a teacher. This is a fantastic choice if you re really into the arts ,we are a creative school consider the fact that we have the VAC and the VAPA but if your mostly in academics then this is also a great choice because we are an IB school so you can take really advance classes.It was the best choice I ever made.

Posted December 5, 2009

THe school has progressed since the older reviews were written. I am a current senior at AEHS an am thankful for the education provided. I am a minority who is in the IB program. This school has enforced education by the means of having fun with more class interaction with the material.I would recommend this high school to anyone who is seeking a good education.

Posted November 12, 2009

This school is very accepting of different kinds of people, and students are very nice and open to you no matter who you are. Teachers are of a wide variety but are all understanding and do a wonderful teaching job. This school is good for anyone.

Posted October 3, 2009

I am a graduate of Albert Einstein and have many fond memories of my time there.

Posted March 3, 2006

Whoever wrote the Feb 04 statement is completely ridiculous. The IB program is available to all students and if your child chooses not to participate, its not discrimination. Other acadamies are available besides IB and they are available to all students. Besides, the suggestion that minorities are not as well included in these programs is just stupid ecspcially seeing as how the minorities in the rest of the US are the majorities in AEHS.

Posted January 31, 2006

While I can not speak to the overall quality of the AEHS environment or instruction, as a parent of new international/ESOL students at AEHS, I am spectacularly unimpressed by the orientation my children recieved: after a 40-minute wait in the office, a rushed visit with a clearly over-loaded counselor on the morning they started school. The staff I had access to were unable to answer my questions about ESOL class sizes and if there were other students from my children's country of origin, or at least who spoke the same language. Other MCPS high schools assign a fellow ESOL/international student to 'shadow' newbies for a week, and I was expecting a similar courtesy to help ease my children's adjustment to a new environment.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 30, 2005

I'm a student at AEHS and Einstein is a very good school. This is because the students are like a family and are there for one another. There may be some people who like to stray away but for most of the student body, everyone gets along and works out theie problems without fighting. I would recommend this school to anyone. P.S ~There will never be other classes like the classes of 2006 and 2008 at AEHS! Home of the Titans! Einstein, its the place to be! The Red Columbia Blue and White!

Posted August 11, 2005

The school is amazing. It caters to all the students and their needs. The teachers really seem to know their subjects and try to make a difference. This year we had academies and students progress was closely monitored. The new administration has been great and the overall enviornment of the school is changing. the one concern is the same parents are involved. there needs to be a way to involve the entire community instead of hearing from the same parents all the time.

Posted June 8, 2005

New administration this year trying to undo the mess past administrations have created. Now, the biggest obstacle to success for students... is students. There are fights daily. A whole new security crew would be helpful but the students have to want to learn.

Posted October 5, 2004

I just graduated from EHS. While there I found the administration abysmal. Like others have said, we learned no independence because we were treated like children. However, in four years I never felt unsafe, I never felt discrimination, the student body is the strongest I've ever seen. People accept one another and support one another resulting in the strongest community of students one might imagine. I hardly appreciated it until I got to college (that's right I am in college) and saw how shallow and trivial young people can be. Academia may be lacking but it is more than compensated for by valuable life skills such as accomadating the needs of people who are different.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 7, 2004

As a current student at AEHS, I don't like it. I don't mean to tarnish the name of einstein, but I have to. a good amount of students just roam the halls with seemingly no consequences, disturbing other classes and such. The teachers try thier hardest WITH THE STUDENTS they feel care, but not with the others. I am in calsses I need to graduate, and I can hardly learn because students are there just to be there. Seemingly there are no consequences for some people's actions. Security hurds us into class while joking with the trouble-makers. But the actions of the administration and the lack of security makes me hate coming to school every single day. Something needs to change at Einstein... and quick. I hate coming to school every day... I really do.

Posted May 3, 2004

As a former student, I did receive a good education from this school, only because we were segregated from the student's that didn't care enough to do work. However, when I was put into classes everyone needed to graduate, I was mixed in with student's that were there just to goof off, and it was difficult to learn, especially since the teachers of those classes didn't seem to care either. The administration treated us like animals, hearding us around the halls day after day. I was happy to go home where I would not be yelled at for arriving at my class not early enough. As for security, they knew all the bad kids and would joke around with them, and would treat the A-students poorly, simply because we voiced our opinions a lot about the way the administration treated us like 5 year olds. I'm glad I'm out.

Posted February 22, 2004

A parent mentioned the inclusion of the IB program, but I am a minority parent who had no idea that the school offered such a program. My child feels discriminated against daily and cites the leadership as being incompetent. Some of the teachers have low expectations of students and the building is a mess. They do not offer any programs for minority students and the certainly do not celebrate diversity during designated months. The school is failing, and I can not wait to remove my child from this school.

Posted November 18, 2003

Considering that violence begins outside of the school, the staff should be commended for dealing with the violence promptly when it occurs. Perhaps more parents should turn out for extracurricular activities. I am pleased with this school.

Grade level

Algebra

The state average for Algebra was 84% in 2013.

351 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2013.

353 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 83% in 2013.

359 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Maryland used the Maryland High School Assessments (HSA) to test students in English 2, Algebra, and Biology upon completion of each course. The HSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. Students are required to pass the tests in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Source: Maryland State Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 10% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 41%N/A42%

Teacher resources

School psychologist
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Spanish
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Staff resources available to students
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Join PTO/PTA
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

11135 Newport Mill Rd