PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

NHA has some of the most diligent, dedicated and self sacrificing teachers I have met and I have known a lot of teachers from my personal work in education. Some of the classroom management strategies can seem excessive times or lacking in other cases, but across the board, the academic training is undeniably effective.

Amount of homework: Agree

For my child's age in the primary grade, very much so appropriate in length and challenging.

Develops character: Agree

Students are held accountable for their actions. Parents, however, need to work on the ways their children interact with other students in social settings. As very concerned parents, we make sure our child is aware and actively uses strategies that divert bullying situations and other negative social interactions. Our child's teacher also understands that we do not place an emphasis on friends in school, as attaining knowledge is the main objective. Unfortunately, some of the best and most diverse parents are deterred by tuition fees.

I highly recommend NHA. My child has attended NHA for 3 years and we love the multicultural population, caring atmosphere and rigorous curriculum in the primary grades. Teachers are extremely thorough with tracking and communicating student academic achievement; parents, students, teachers and administrators work collectively to raise funds for explorative field trips, memorable school events and school activities and; the field trips and learning experiences my child has participated in as a NHA student are phenomenal! The exposure from field trips outside of the school and diversity within the student population elevates NHA far beyond any local Prince George's County Public School, speaking from firsthand knowledge. For this reason, tuition is worth the financial sacrifice. As a recipient of a Masters of Education from UCLA, I am not a novice to the value of education and the global competition our children must be well equipped to participate in later in life. NHA teachers also understand that and work diligently to prepare our youth on a daily basis. My child leaves school happy to report his daily progress, eager to tell me about his academic achievements as well as those of his peers. If we happen to miss a school family event, my child is disappointed. There is a steady and constant rapport between the staff about my child's social progress in addition to his academic growth, which I appreciate. Did I mention the teachers were awesome? NHA is truly a diamond in the rough and my only wish is that they had more funds to enhance their unbeatable qualities (i.e., foreign language, arts, sports, academics, critical thinking, diverse learning experiences). I am grateful that the school stakeholders work together to raise and use funds as adequately as possible to upgrade the facility and maintain the teaching staff. The school community's unwavering commitment to learning is one of the best I've seen in the area. Without question I suggest you check New Hope Academy in Landover Hills, MD out for yourself, I am so glad we did. Well wishes!

I attended New Hope for 2 years (7th and 8th grade) before making it clear to my parents that I wanted to go elsewhere for high school, even though 8th grade was considered part of the upper school here. My parents had told me they thought New Hope would be very good for me, a graduate of a Montessori school I had attended since Pre-K years. Well, I soon discovered it wasn't what we had hoped it would be. In 7th grade I struggled to make friends within my small class, causing me to become shy and not very outgoing. I made one real friend that year that has stuck with me until now, even though we both go to different high schools. 8th grade year wasn't any better, if anything it was even worse. Many of my classmates were able to make friends with the upperclassmen, who let me say, could be very rowdy and foul. I thought I was making friends, only to discover I wasn't, students were 'using' me because they felt bad I was basically alone. I got picked on, gossiped about, and for a short period of time right before the end of the year, I realized I had formed anxiety and slight depression. I pushed through, trying to keep up with the average academic skills I was being taught, nothing too hard for me since I had learned half of the 8th grade curriculum in 5th grade.Most of the teachers were very kind and understanding, there was just one that was new, coming from teaching at a bad public school, that was very rude and didn't care at times. Honestly, my friend and I would joke around about how they need to knock the building down and rebuild it. There is no air conditioning, except in a few classrooms and the office, which makes it very hard to focus at the beginning and end of the year, when it starts getting hot. The principal and head of the dance program are rather desperate for money, the dance teacher begs you to join her dance/drama program and the principal focuses more on keeping teachers and students from leaving the school than she does on providing a better facility/curriculum. Some of the teachers didn't even notice I was having a downward spiral emotionally, and didn't notice I was practically being bullied. The school looks good on the website, but don't fall for it. I am now at a larger Christian high school where I am succeeding academically and socially, only in the first few weeks of school, which I am very grateful for.

Run, run, run!!!!!! NHA looks good from the outside but, once you get in you find out different. I wanted to like this school so bad. However,the upper school had very little to offer the upper school students. The Good 1) Small class sizes 2) Bullying is not allowed 3) They pray before meetings The Bad 1) Not enough activities for upper school 2) Your tuition includes fees for field trips or outside activities and my child didn't go on 2 trips a year. 3) The school charges for aftercare for high school students. I've never seen high school (15 - 18 y/o students in after care or before care). Just another way to make money 4) There is no air conditioning in the high school portion of the school. Most people are concerned about this until the spring and summer months. I know of about five parents who would come and pick up their children at noon because the school was excessively hot. When the concerned parents picked up their children, a note went around to the teachers, telling them to not allow assignments missed because they went home early to be turned in and give them zeros. The principal's office, administration office, lower schools and pre-schools all had air conditioning but, the high school didn't. 5) Last year alone about 7 upper school students transferred to other schools. They year before that the # was about the same. 6) The school was unorganized. I could go on and on about the high school portion of NHA but, I think you should get the drift. Stay away!!!

Our children have been attending New Hope Academy for nine years now. They love it! The teachers, staff and other parents are a community that come together to teach, nurture and provide a safe environment that is free of teasing and bullying. We also appreciate the diverse backgrounds of the faculty and students. I highly recommend New Hope Academy for families who are looking for a school that offers technology, math,science, PE and promotes experiences through the arts, music, writing, drama, and dance.

This a great school. I love the family atmosphere. I know my child's friends and their parents as well. Small classroom size, field trips and great education. I highly recommend this school

I am a staff member and parent of this school. New Hope has a family atmosphere and small class sizes that foster genuine relationships teacher to teacher, teacher to student, and teacher to parent. Administration is responsive and caring, staff is more than a body in a position - the relationships are personal an authentic. Parents are more than willing to work with the teachers to do what's best for students. Students are respectful and open to new experiences; many of them seem grateful for a smaller and safer environment in which to learn. The interfaith, international (high school) environment creates an accepting atmosphere that creates globally aware and astute students. This school is a gem and if parents want a place where their child is exposed to a variety of cultures, ideas, and experiences from equally interesting staff then this is the place. It is unfortunate that people with isolated experiences have axes to grind and find it necessary too denigrate the school. These are the people who will be toxic to any environment. I am happy that the principal and board stand by policies and won't succumb to strong arming tactics or threats. A great place!

My child is entering her third year at New Hope Academy. She likes the small atmosphere and the personal attention that teachers give her. I went from having a child who hated school to a child who looks forward to her school day. I am impressed with the level of learning and the opportunities the children have. From the foreign language program and the in-depth music program to the dance program, I am seeing opportunities that were not available in her last school. I am very happy with our experience.

Last modified New Hope Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-12