PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Student (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted November 10, 2015
Thank you Ms. Mary for being a phenomenal, outstanding educator and discerning person. You met a challenge with my child's class, and you rose to meet that challenge with integrity and fairness. Your commitment to education and learning is awesome and I am grateful for your hard work and diligence.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted November 10, 2015
NHA has some of the most diligent, dedicated and self sacrificing teachers I have met and I have known a lot of teachers from my personal work in education. Some of the classroom management strategies can seem excessive times or lacking in other cases, but across the board, the academic training is undeniably effective.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted November 10, 2015
For my child's age in the primary grade, very much so appropriate in length and challenging.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted November 10, 2015
Giving up is not an option and reinforced at home. The older students are truly inspirational, while students of all grade levels set the bar high for their peers in the community. Homework is assigned and students are held accountable for their learning.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted November 10, 2015
Disrespect of staff and peers is not tolerated. The staff is respectful and thereby respected. I have never been disrespected by a child or walked through the hallway and heard a cuss word escape a student's mouth. To reference, I have been in the hallways before, during and after school several times.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted November 10, 2015
There is a strong value for nature, a reverence for God that is nondenominational and cultural conversations and learning experiences that increase students' compassion for others.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted November 10, 2015
Students are held accountable for their actions. Parents, however, need to work on the ways their children interact with other students in social settings. As very concerned parents, we make sure our child is aware and actively uses strategies that divert bullying situations and other negative social interactions. Our child's teacher also understands that we do not place an emphasis on friends in school, as attaining knowledge is the main objective. Unfortunately, some of the best and most diverse parents are deterred by tuition fees.

New Hope Academy 5

Posted November 10, 2015
I highly recommend NHA. My child has attended NHA for 3 years and we love the multicultural population, caring atmosphere and rigorous curriculum in the primary grades. Teachers are extremely thorough with tracking and communicating student academic achievement; parents, students, teachers and administrators work collectively to raise funds for explorative field trips, memorable school events and school activities and; the field trips and learning experiences my child has participated in as a NHA student are phenomenal! The exposure from field trips outside of the school and diversity within the student population elevates NHA far beyond any local Prince George's County Public School, speaking from firsthand knowledge. For this reason, tuition is worth the financial sacrifice. As a recipient of a Masters of Education from UCLA, I am not a novice to the value of education and the global competition our children must be well equipped to participate in later in life. NHA teachers also understand that and work diligently to prepare our youth on a daily basis. My child leaves school happy to report his daily progress, eager to tell me about his academic achievements as well as those of his peers. If we happen to miss a school family event, my child is disappointed. There is a steady and constant rapport between the staff about my child's social progress in addition to his academic growth, which I appreciate. Did I mention the teachers were awesome? NHA is truly a diamond in the rough and my only wish is that they had more funds to enhance their unbeatable qualities (i.e., foreign language, arts, sports, academics, critical thinking, diverse learning experiences). I am grateful that the school stakeholders work together to raise and use funds as adequately as possible to upgrade the facility and maintain the teaching staff. The school community's unwavering commitment to learning is one of the best I've seen in the area. Without question I suggest you check New Hope Academy in Landover Hills, MD out for yourself, I am so glad we did. Well wishes!

New Hope Academy 3

Posted September 13, 2015
I attended New Hope for 2 years (7th and 8th grade) before making it clear to my parents that I wanted to go elsewhere for high school, even though 8th grade was considered part of the upper school here. My parents had told me they thought New Hope would be very good for me, a graduate of a Montessori school I had attended since Pre-K years. Well, I soon discovered it wasn't what we had hoped it would be. In 7th grade I struggled to make friends within my small class, causing me to become shy and not very outgoing. I made one real friend that year that has stuck with me until now, even though we both go to different high schools. 8th grade year wasn't any better, if anything it was even worse. Many of my classmates were able to make friends with the upperclassmen, who let me say, could be very rowdy and foul. I thought I was making friends, only to discover I wasn't, students were 'using' me because they felt bad I was basically alone. I got picked on, gossiped about, and for a short period of time right before the end of the year, I realized I had formed anxiety and slight depression. I pushed through, trying to keep up with the average academic skills I was being taught, nothing too hard for me since I had learned half of the 8th grade curriculum in 5th grade.Most of the teachers were very kind and understanding, there was just one that was new, coming from teaching at a bad public school, that was very rude and didn't care at times. Honestly, my friend and I would joke around about how they need to knock the building down and rebuild it. There is no air conditioning, except in a few classrooms and the office, which makes it very hard to focus at the beginning and end of the year, when it starts getting hot. The principal and head of the dance program are rather desperate for money, the dance teacher begs you to join her dance/drama program and the principal focuses more on keeping teachers and students from leaving the school than she does on providing a better facility/curriculum. Some of the teachers didn't even notice I was having a downward spiral emotionally, and didn't notice I was practically being bullied. The school looks good on the website, but don't fall for it. I am now at a larger Christian high school where I am succeeding academically and socially, only in the first few weeks of school, which I am very grateful for.

Grateful to: Student

Posted September 13, 2015
My one friend helped me to have a slightly better experience at the school, and stood by me through the roughest times I had experienced.

7009 Varnum St, Landover Hills, MD  20784