No rating

Highland Park Christian Academy

Private | PK-8

Living in Landover

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $120,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,270.

Posted September 5, 2014

My daughter was a student here from prek2-prek4 (2011-2013) and I loved it! The only reason we didn't continue here at HPCA for Kindergarten was due to the rise of the monthly tuition and daycare. But if my husband and I could afford it we would bring her back. We tried putting her in a cheaper private school which was a Catholic School but the curriculum wasn t as advanced as the one they were using at HPCA. She currently goes to public school and is still bored. My husband and I are actually thinking about putting her back in HPCA. Prior to her going to Catholic school she had to be tested prior to entering their Kindergarten program and tested at and 80% meaning she tested higher than 80% of the students that took the same entry test. The preschool teachers were awesome and they challenge their students. The only thing I would complain about is the cost, when my daughter first started out at HPCA the cost was low but over time the cost tripled (not doubled but tripled). I understand that most private schools do go up on tuition yearly but I would like to see some visual improvements throughout the school. Needless to say when our son turns 2 he will be at HPCA.

Posted June 20, 2012

I am very disappointed with this school. My daughter has been attending for 2 years, but I ve decided not to reenroll. The principal s priorities are out of whack. She cares more about money than the children. Class participation mainly consists of songs, games, and field trips. The aftercare staff are very unprofessional. It is very common to pick your child up from their classroom while the teacher is down the hall or nowhere in sight. I have witnessed on numerous occasions, staff leaving their classrooms unattended as their 3 and 4 year old students occupy the room. I also remember picking my daughter up in the afternoon and seeing the aftercare teacher standing outside of the classroom gossiping in the hall with another aftercare teacher, while both classrooms were left unsupervised. After 2 years in this school, I applied for another private school. My daughter was required to test in order to get accepted into the school and was not accepted due to her test scores. In my opinion, this school is better than your typical PG County Public School, however, I feel that they are nowhere in comparison with any prestigious private school.

Posted August 20, 2011

Please don't be fooled by the rherothic, tons of activities, free lunch, ability to present a great stage presentation and the 6:30 pick up. If you are seeking a school that will lay a solid foundation in Jesus Christ, as well as academia for you child, then Highland Park is not the school. Why? -Advanced learning and high Christian values are almost Gonexistent. Teachers have to live Christian lives to teach Christ. -Several parents had their child tested; results, they were not on-grade level. -It appears that phonics and sight words are introduced but no in-depth learning is done; thus true reading MAY begin at age 5. Children normally can read at age 4 under the Abeka curiculum. After nap, reading is not reinforced in the afternoon. -The staff's communication skills need improvements; verbal as well as non-verbal. -The teacher to student ratio is higher than some other private schools. -Some teachers use an excessive amount of slang, dress inappropriately, not friendly. -No true goals setting to determine child's progress from quarter to quarter. No proficiency measurements. Others that rate this school as high may not have a comparison. Gets an A+ in activities.

Posted July 27, 2011

My husband and I withdrew our child from her previous school and enrolled her in HPCA in January 2011. After a few visits and talking with her her teacher, my husband and I was impressed and decided that this would be the right school for our 3 yr old daughter to continue her education. Her teacher was very involved with the class and provided them with many activities throughout the day to keep them learning and entertained. Not only did our daughter's education improve so did her leadership abilities. As a hands on parent, my experience may be different from others that drop off and pick up their child without reinforcing the academics that are taught when the child is at home. My husband and I believe that academics are taught at home and school and behavior and values/morals are taught at home and demonstrated in school. If you do not have the same dynamics, then every school that your child is enrolled in will fail if you expect the teachers to raise your child for you. I would and do recommend Highland Park Christian Academy to everyone I know. With every school, there are a few issues but nothing that an involved parent can't correct or assist with correcting.

Posted July 26, 2011

I was in the midst of a difficult situation-my son who had completed kindergarten in another christian school was placed in a public school by us his parents. However because his birthday is on November 4, he was not placed in the first grade. While in the public school, my son regressed and this gave us a lot of concern. After months of further regression, I went on my knees and prayed for God's intervention. I decided to try HPCA after I got a leading in my spirit. The reception by every staff I met was wonderful. The principal who was not in the office talked with me over the phone. At the end of the day, my son was admitted into the first grade after his level was ascertained. I am grateful to the principal and staff who gave my son the opportunity the public school and his former christian school did not give him. They, being led by the Holy spirit, saw what others did not see. My son got awards in Math, Grammar, and Reading! Before I forget, I pulled my daughter out of her school, and placed her in HPCA. I am happy to report that she is going to the first grade. My husband and I are very impressed with their spiritual and academic progress. Thank you HPCA!

Posted May 13, 2011

I went to research this school for my child entering Kindergarten. When I first spoke with one of the workers at the front desk she gave me info about school, called someone to give me a tour and told me that after the tour she will give me the application packet to fill out at home and discuss with husband. To my suprise, after the tour she informed me that she spoke with principal and for me to receive application packet I would have to pay the $100.00 registration fee to hold space for child. She said the principal said"spaces are filling up quick, hurry get your child registered" Now I was so shocked and really insulted by the way she and principal made money the first priority. Remeber I just came to school to find out information andn pick up application packet. Before the tour I was told I would receive packet but after the tour I was told I had to pay fee of 100.00 before taking packet hoem. Most of these christian schools have christian attached to their name but they are truly not representing true christianity. The principal sat in her office and never introduced herself or said nothing. This was my first experience wiutth this school and I was not pleased.

Posted August 2, 2010

My son started here in Pre-K2 and im VERY impressed with how well he's been learning and the structure teachers are teaching these students. i love how well rounded he is with extending his vocab and spanish. even with tuition going up having my son attend this school is CLEARLY a good investment.

Posted April 23, 2010

My son has been at HPCA for one year and I love, love, love this school. The teachers are wonderful and responsive. My only issue is tution is going up this year.

Posted February 8, 2010

Great school. Great after school activities I just wish they were available for all grades. My son is doing well and we all enjoy the Christian atmosphere.

Posted September 11, 2009

This will be my daughter's first year of school, via the pre-school program. So far, I am very pleased with the school, the teachers, and the services provided. Though I initially chose HPCA because of the extended hours of the after-school program, which ends 30 mins later than most schools, it is proving to be a very sound and fruitful decision overall. My daughter is enjoying school, is happy to see her teacher everyday and the staff are very pleasant ALL the time. We're blessed to have found them.

Posted January 30, 2006

I have two 4 year olds and a 2 year old currently attending the school. I saw academic progress within the first two weeks of classes beginning. The teachers are wonderful and work with you. They observe each child to see what will heighten their interest and improve their skills. All three of my children love the school and can't wait to go every day. Also, the tuition and fees are not as high as other christian schools, but the acedemic program is up to par. I recommend this school very highly.

Posted January 26, 2006

Great school! My daughter loves it. The atmosohere they present is wonderful, as well as the teachers are compassionate about their work. The learning ace is excellent, andthey take their time with each individual student. They point out areas the children need to work on on a bi-weekly basis. I highly recommend anyone in the area who is looking to get their child a head-start to apply here. The Staff is very pleasant, and the cost is very inexpensive compared to basic childcare in the area. Very good place for your son/daughter to get started learning in life.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 6%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Baptist
Associations
  • ACSI

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6801 Sheriff Road