Bad
Good

Develops character: Strongly agree

This school has provided excellent help for my children. No school is perfect. No one person is perfect. We are all trying to make a better day for ourselves, but there will always be those who want to be negative and not put any work in to making the situation better. I have talked with those in charge. I know they want better for the school and the children. There is a process in which they have to work through within the school system and that takes time. Patience is needed from all of us. I know these people care about our children. I know they ask support of the parents and many of the parents can't give the necessary support, so they still go on and strive to make better for our children. It will take a little more time. Better and successful ways of running the school when it comes to education, sports and other activities will flourish in the near future.

I am a current student at TPA. i have been attending TPA since the 2nd grade, i am now in the 8th. I have seen no changes with TPA as long as i have been there. The middle school students dont have lockers so majority of the 8th graders are going to high school not knowing how to use a locker. We DO NOT have any sports or after school activities. The 8th graders dont have school dances, well we do they're just horrible though. All we do is go to the cafeteria/gym and listen to music. There is no REAL DJ or no decorations. Sometimes i think that the older students (7th snd 8th graders) set a bad example for these young children. On my bus there are first graders and sometimes kindergarten students cursing like grown adults. I mean the education is good but the other things that make up a school environment are not I dont recommend this school, unless you have no other options.

My daughters are in their first year at TPA (4th and 2nd grade). With the exception of the school buses (not enough on the routes, extremely late drop off times, and REALLY bad behavior from the older kids), their school year appears to be going very well. My children's teachers are very professional, communicates with me on every aspect about my children, and they administer the lessons very well. The only recommendations I have are (1) build a playground for the children, (2) build a on-site library, and (3) develop a creative arts program (drama, music, choir). If parents in the PTO and the administration would agree on instituting fund raisers and set their sites on these items, TPA could become the top charter school in Prince George's County.

My son has been going to TPA since Kindergarten and he is now in 2nd grade. For the 1st two years he has the same teacher Ms Richardson she is wonderful. She is on top of the kids academics and behavior in her class. His 2nd grade teacher is not so detailed and organized as I have come to expect from TPA. My son is still learning at a great pace but I am keeping a keen eye on it. His home work assignment that are given sometimes is missing from his folder and the teacher does not communicate well but I take it on myself to call her to get proper clarification. Ms Scales is wonderful and Ms Clomax is great also. I had an issue with a kid taking my son things in the bus I called and spoke to Ms Brown the secutary and it was resolved in less than 10 minutes. We are happy at TPA and so are our friends who's kids also attend.

My grand children attend Turning Point Academy and our entire family loves this school because they listen and they care! Most of the parents feel the same way but are too busy to write about whats good. The principal reaches out with a parent meeting called "chat & chew" to discuss our concerns. There are discovery nights and family weekends that seem to be every month. They even have movie nights. Though I typically hate board meetings - every one of their board meetings seem to be lively and open to all parents - very informative. We attended a fireworks celebration that was awesome. The negatives about the school: the website needs work it's outdated. Ms. Clomax, the principal is great - she & Ms. Scales handled a bullying issue very quickly that originated on the bus. Mr. Grasky, the bus guy, was also involved and seemed to take a long while to get all of the facts. They need sports like tennis, volley ball, swimming, golf, etc. Also, robotics and real world activities should be introduced. There is a new program about "Innovators" that should happen soon so we know that the school is dedicated to making things better! One of our grands was promoted and we hope all will attend

TPA is a law suit waiting to happen. Even though they are under the public school system in pg county, students with IEPs are not given the time and resources that they by law should receive. Not to mention all the behavior issues they have on the buses. Do you really want your young child on the bus with cursing teenagers. Also there is no library. Don't do it! They need to be sued.

My child no longer attends Turning Point and that's only because we have moved to Anne Arundel county. If it wasn't for the move my daughter would still be attending the school. Mrs. Lewis was an excellent teacher and so was the other first grade teacher. The space is very limited and the security could be beefed up but the church won't allow it. I have been to many meetings where I have seen the same 5 parents attand. The ones who complain are the ones who never attend the meetings but want a mountain out of a mole hill. The only other issue I see is that the board members don't inform the parents as to what is going on. The less the parents know the less the parents help.

My son started at TPA 2012-2013 school year and this is his last year there. TPA is a disgrace to all Public Charter Schools in PG County. TPA principal (Rhonda Clomax) and teachers lack communication with parents and professionalism. TPA believes in retaining children at any grade level and not working with a child to be successful. My son was being bullied in his class and Rhonda Clomax and his teacher never addressed it. This review is only half of the problems but I hope parents will read this and keep your children away from TPA. Worst mistake of my life!!!!!

My grandson goes to TPA and I agree with the previous two reviews. The school is extremely unorganized and crowded. The teachers do not appear to be on-top of what THEY should be doing. He was on the honor roll when he came - he isn't now. My grandson has one teacher that talks consistently about himself instead of the subject matter; another teacher is teaching from a book that the children DO NOT have access to she says there is NOT enough to go around. So the kids MUST rely on and take notes. WHY? That's ridulous, We are in the 21st century, that statement sound like the ones from post-slavery days. Lastly why is this school in trailers IN THE BACK of a church? Like the 4th grader's parent, I think this will be his first and last year at TPA. No wonder the score is so low.

Last modified Turning Point Academy Public Charter is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.