Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Ill-, Un-, and Dis- I would describe this school as ill-prepared, disorganized and unimpressive, In my experience the teaching staff, while well intentioned, is ill-prepared to meet the instructional needs of above grade level learners. The leadership of the school appears to be wedded to the limitations of what they “don’t have”…”we don’t have teaching aids”, “we don’t have all the resources the non-charter schools have”, “we buy our own materials”. This has been the case since the school started and they have yet to move beyond admiring these problems to solutions that best meet student needs. As a result my child was limited to the instructional confines of the kit used at that particular grade level, despite his ability to perform above grade level. They were unable to provide him access to accelerated skills. The principal stated this was not possible at his grade level because “everything we have purchased for (that grade) is for students who perform at that grade level.” It was suggested that he “get on the computer” and that I can supplement his instruction at home. After several phone calls to the Board of Education, my child was finally able to have books in his hand at his instructional level. Throughout this process I sat through several meetings where instructional leaders chuckled while I advocated for my child’s instructional needs. The climate of the school is one of overcrowded disorganization with information provided to parents either last minute, inconsistently or incorrectly. Visit the school during heavy transition times and you will hear students being yelled at and staff not reflecting the tenets of the aspects of character they propose to teach, using the withholding of snacks parents purchase as a tool to manage student behavior. From the leadership down, this school is behind their counterparts in surrounding counties in their understanding of differentiated instruction, vertical planning, and parental involvement. While they are making attempts, I was unimpressed as a parent and educator. I would strongly encourage prospective families to take a critical look at the policies and day to day practices of this school prior to enrolling their child.

Effective school leaders: Disagree

The leadership of this school is unprofessional, slow to respond to parent concerns and married to protecting staff image as opposed to advocating for students. The principal and academic facilitator, specifically, leave a lot to be desired as educational leaders.

Develops character: Neutral

Wile this is the school's charter, I can not say whether the traits are actually modeled by staff.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Teachers at this school do not appear to have the flexibility to go beyond their "kit" to meet student needs.

My son's been at Turning Point since kindergarten and he's now in 2nd grade. Academically, my son has consistently been challenged and continues to grow. The main downfall would be the administration and some of the teachers. They tend to be unprofessional and voice their personal opinions regarding matters that should be kept to themselves. Also, I really can't stand going to discovery nights to have someone coach me on how to parent and teach my child. I just don't think that should be required for everyone.

Develops character: Strongly agree

This school has provided excellent help for my children. No school is perfect. No one person is perfect. We are all trying to make a better day for ourselves, but there will always be those who want to be negative and not put any work in to making the situation better. I have talked with those in charge. I know they want better for the school and the children. There is a process in which they have to work through within the school system and that takes time. Patience is needed from all of us. I know these people care about our children. I know they ask support of the parents and many of the parents can't give the necessary support, so they still go on and strive to make better for our children. It will take a little more time. Better and successful ways of running the school when it comes to education, sports and other activities will flourish in the near future.

I am a current student at TPA. i have been attending TPA since the 2nd grade, i am now in the 8th. I have seen no changes with TPA as long as i have been there. The middle school students dont have lockers so majority of the 8th graders are going to high school not knowing how to use a locker. We DO NOT have any sports or after school activities. The 8th graders dont have school dances, well we do they're just horrible though. All we do is go to the cafeteria/gym and listen to music. There is no REAL DJ or no decorations. Sometimes i think that the older students (7th snd 8th graders) set a bad example for these young children. On my bus there are first graders and sometimes kindergarten students cursing like grown adults. I mean the education is good but the other things that make up a school environment are not I dont recommend this school, unless you have no other options.

My daughters are in their first year at TPA (4th and 2nd grade). With the exception of the school buses (not enough on the routes, extremely late drop off times, and REALLY bad behavior from the older kids), their school year appears to be going very well. My children's teachers are very professional, communicates with me on every aspect about my children, and they administer the lessons very well. The only recommendations I have are (1) build a playground for the children, (2) build a on-site library, and (3) develop a creative arts program (drama, music, choir). If parents in the PTO and the administration would agree on instituting fund raisers and set their sites on these items, TPA could become the top charter school in Prince George's County.

My son has been going to TPA since Kindergarten and he is now in 2nd grade. For the 1st two years he has the same teacher Ms Richardson she is wonderful. She is on top of the kids academics and behavior in her class. His 2nd grade teacher is not so detailed and organized as I have come to expect from TPA. My son is still learning at a great pace but I am keeping a keen eye on it. His home work assignment that are given sometimes is missing from his folder and the teacher does not communicate well but I take it on myself to call her to get proper clarification. Ms Scales is wonderful and Ms Clomax is great also. I had an issue with a kid taking my son things in the bus I called and spoke to Ms Brown the secutary and it was resolved in less than 10 minutes. We are happy at TPA and so are our friends who's kids also attend.

Last modified Turning Point Academy Public Charter is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.