Lanham-Seabrook, MD
Before care: Yes

The Academy of Saint Matthias the Apostle 3

Posted August 29, 2014
St. Matthias is a decent school. There have been many changes in Administration and staff. One of the things that drew me here a few years ago was Spanish language instruction. Unfortunately, that has been one of the unstable areas in the school's curriculum, riddled by attrition.There have been (and still are) some fantastic teachers. There are more recent college graduates that have been recruited that undoubtedly bring new perspectives and styles to the classroom, which can be beneficial or to their detriment. The school has some incredible jewels within its teaching staff. I would say overall it is a good school but I do often question what my dollars are going towards. A catholic education has always been valuable to me but when I assess some of the incredible activities and learning opportunities that other schools make available to their students (I'm and educator), I wonder if what my kids have in this school is enough to compete in this world of technologically savvy, STEM focused, and culturally exposed youth. I don't have any regrets about this school though-your child will have access to a good education but not a great one-it depends on what you are looking for.

Posted May 02, 2014
This is one of the absolute best private schools in Prince George's County, admistration and the teachers are great. It's a small school which is nice, because your child and get the attention they need. Money is tight so fundraiser and donations are needed - a small price to pay if your child is learning, happy and in a save environment. I would highly recommend this school if you searching for a good quality Catholic school for your child.

The Academy of Saint Matthias the Apostle 2

Posted February 22, 2013
This was not a great school for Pre-K. I sent my son based on reputation and paid the almost $7,000 in tuition. if I could do it again I would not. It was only nap time and begging for money. I have nothing against Catholic Schools, I graduated from an area Catholic High School and received my graduate degrees from a Catholic University, but this school is poorly run. Education is not the focus of administration it is making the parents happy. The kids suffer, keep your $7,000 and send them to a public school!!!!

Posted January 15, 2013
I graduated from Saint Matthias years ago. My two younger siblings also graduated from there. Some of the teachers and leadership are still present there now and I have friends who send their children there. I feel comfortable saying that St. Matthias was, is, and hopefully always will be an outstanding school. Everyone close to me who graduated from there feels that the academic foundation and the sense of family simply cannot be rivaled. Some 15 years later, I can still call on my former St. Matthias classmates and teachers. I left St. Matthias after graduation and attended a public school. I tested 3 years ahead and in AP levels. If I lived closer, my own children would be there without a second thought. LOVE this school!

Posted June 06, 2012
As a recent graduate, I believe that St. Matthias is a FANTASTIC school! In the graduating class of 2011, (which consisted of only 26 people) the students earned a full-tuition academic ride, a band scholarship, a visual arts scholarship, two partial-tuition academic scholarships, two Knights of Columbus scholarships, and a Catholic Business Network scholarship. The class of 2012 also earned many awards, including another full ride to Catholic High school and vocal/band and Knights of Columbus scholarships. These excellent results attest to the fantastic and committed teachers and staff, as well as the resources available. The school boasts a full computer lab, two libraries, a music and art room, and a band program. For recess and PE class, the campus includes a basketball court, full baseball and soccer fields, and two play equipment areas. The school also offers soccer, basketball, t-ball, softball, and baseball teams from intramural to varsity. Other extra curricular activities include an elected student council, a newspaper, a chess club, and scouting. I loved my nine years at St. Matthias. It gave me a quality education in a wonderful atmosphere and I highly recommend it.

Posted June 06, 2012
This is the BEST SCHOOL EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am in the 4th grade and LOVE IT! we have an awesome buddy system where the 4th graders are buddies with the Pre K 5th, Kindergarten......etc., etc. and the only thing I don't like is the PE / music teacher Mr. Minc... I shouldent saw but I think they will replace him soon so if you're thinking about sending your child here DO IT!!! Mr. Min... I mean the PE / music teacher might not come back next year

Posted April 23, 2012
I am currently an 8th grader at St. Matthias, and i must say, it has been the best years i could wish to have. Coming from a public school with little stress on my education, i could barely read in the second grade, the year i joined the school. But by my 5th and 6th grade years i was on the honor roll, read FOR FUN, and enjoyed school, all because of the learning enviornment i was placed in. I have even recieved a scholarship to a private high school that i will be attending next year. Its a small school, and it seems to be stuggling with the number of students so i'm sure that everyone at st. Matthias would love to have whoeverr wants to attend. Give us a chance and i'm sure you or your child will have an amazing time during elementery and middle school, then also be well prepared for their futures.

The Academy of Saint Matthias the Apostle 4

Posted November 03, 2010
I am the proud parent of both a 4th grader and pre-schooler who attend St. Matthias. It is a small school with a hometown feel. Academics and religion are stressed in the school. Teachers are great and keep parents informed. As a busy parent, I do feel we could do better with parent involvement to help nurture the school's extra-curricular activities.

Posted July 05, 2008
As a former student, I must say that this school has an excllent group of teachers that do not settle for anything except your best

The Academy of Saint Matthias the Apostle 3

Posted December 12, 2007
St. Matthias is a good school. My son has been a student there since kindergarden. He is now in 7th grade. Its a small school. Therefore, all of the kids know each other. But lately there is a serious lake of parent involvement. In years past parents basically ran all non-academic programs/activities. Because of seroius changes to both church and school adminstration, most parents feel left out in the cold. Many long-term parents have pulled out younger kids after the eldest graduated.

The Academy of Saint Matthias the Apostle
9473 Annapolis Rd, Lanham-Seabrook, MD  20706
Last modified The Academy of Saint Matthias the Apostle is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
The Academy of Saint Matthias the Apostle Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top