Scotchtown Hills Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 674 students

Posted September 9, 2013

I am a mother of two children in SHES and I really love the school, if the parents we got involved more, and did not think that teachers are the ones who have to do everything I think we would see better results, teachers are trained and the school has very good extracurricular activities. The PTO is amazing have given good service!

Posted August 25, 2013

I am a grandmother of a kindergarten student. The first day was impressive from signing in to meeting the teacher to the beautiful hospitality that was shown to all parents. My grand daughter said they do many things in class and she can't wait to use the computers. We are looking to begin a great year with Scotchtown Hills.

Posted May 15, 2013

You would be hard pressed to find a school of this caliber in other places in the county. I have worked in 5 schools, this being my fifth and I can promise you this is the BEST of the 5. PTO is excellent, after school activities are plentiful, and the staff works hard. Some parents are not the best role models and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...so their children don't come to school prepared or with the right attitude to even learn. But the staff does the best they can with these parents and their kids and in other schools where I've taught that would NOT happen. The principal is helpful as is the office staff and overall, it is a great school!

Posted March 1, 2013

SHES is a Great school..... My Grandson whom had issues in school due to lack of attending school where he use to live where he had missed approx. 30 days of school now living and attending in PG Co, he has gone from a problem child reading below his grade level and time his teacher Ms Simms "first grade" Finished he was reading above his grade level, now he is in 2nd grade he has made Honor Roll both quarters and Perfect Attendance every quarter as well as Good Citizen, none of this would had been possible with out us all working together...Thanks to everyone forming a little boy.

Posted June 16, 2011

I have four children in this school (well 3 now, one just graduated today). It's the best elementary school they have been to, by far. Sure, there are some teachers that are not the greatest, but hey, there are some PEOPLE that are not the greatest. All in all I like the school, the extracurricular activities are great, the Special Education staff is WONDERFUL!!!, and it's generally a friendly and caring school.

Posted May 27, 2009

This school is wonderful. There are so many extra- curricular activities! My child is in band, and two after school activities. The teachers work very hard with their students and it shows in the quality of work my child brings home. I really enjoy coming to this school's activities for the family. My 3 year old loved the Ice Cream Social!

Posted May 27, 2009

I love SHES. I have worked in another school in the county and have plenty of friends in other schools and by far we have the hardest working staff. We are there for the children. Many of us are at SHES more than 10 hours a day and then take work home. Why? Do we have to because our contract says so.....no because we love what we do and we love our students. If you are not sure if you agree.....I invite you to come in and spend a day with us, volunteer weekly and see how you can help to make us even stronger! You will be a believer!

Posted July 6, 2006

I have to be honest, our principal does not need anyone defending her, but come on. This was her first year and from a teacher's viewpoint, she did the best she could. I am not saying that I understood some of her decisions or changes, but they seemed to be best for the school. Many of us were used to a former principal that was very laid back and kept his hands out of the fire. Our new principal is not content with that style of management. She wants to get her hands dirty, she wants to try and do what is best for everyone involved. I would love to see her critics try to take her place for just one day. I don't know many, or any, that would have the courage. Give her a chance.

Posted June 19, 2006

The 'new' principal is horrible. The teachers lack a true leader. She does not even come to any of the functions. The teachers have to be so testing driven, that if your child is not understanding something, there is no extra time to explain it to them. I really dont know what to do, but to sell the house and move, just to not go to this school.

Posted June 19, 2006

The new Principal is not visible around the school or easy to get to talk to. She has created an atmosphere in the main office that is almost hostile to parents. Every fun activity has been cut because of kill and drill test prep. At least there is still art and music available, and the PTA has been active. Otherwise the school would be very dull and the children quite unhappy.

Posted May 23, 2006

My daughter started in this school at kindergarten and is now in the second grade. I am not impressed at all with this school or the principle and would not recommend it. The testing scores are horrible, there is a lot of bullying, and the teachers demean and yell at the children. The past three years at this school as been a nightmare for my child. This school is not a safe and encouraging environment for children. I'm so glad the school year is over and I will never have to walk into this school again.

Posted August 20, 2005

I have two children who attend ScotchTown Hills. I have been impressed with the way that the teachers engage the students to learn. I am a proponent of their disciplining policy and have had support from the Vice Principal who is now the Principal for 2005/2006 school year. I love the Uniform Policy. I think that it encourages scholastic learning and reduces the number of incidents where name brands and inappropriate dressing may cause distractions. Lastly, my biggest concern is the MSA READING/MATH Score for the school. I am not happy with the 64% and 37% rating. The quality of an exceptional education stimulates children to perform well and to grow as a school of knowledge. I would like to see the test scores raised. How do we get there? We have to recommit to teaching our children at school and at home. I really want us to achieve together.

Posted October 26, 2004

I have 2 children at Scotchtown and I am happy with the teachers performance and how concerned they are about each child. The rooms are adverage size and put together well. I think the only problem is the bus showing up late. But I think that is a problem with all of PG county school buses.

Posted August 22, 2003

My children are for the most part happy here. However in my view they do not follow there own discipline codes (such a fighting or bully problems). These seem to overlooked a bit. Also I am no fan of requiring uniforms in a public school. The teachers are great and really seem to connect well with the children. The principal and office staff are always able to help with questions. The school is kept very clean and has a great computer lab and all teachers are well equiped in the classrooms. Overcrowding is not a problem at this school.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2014.

88 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2014.

67 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Maryland used the Maryland School Assessment (MSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The MSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2014.

86 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

87 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2014.

74 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2014.

26 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 61%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Librarian/media specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Gifted / high performing
Level of special education programming offered
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Staff resources available to students
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • Join PTO/PTA

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

15950 Dorset Rd