Laurel, MD
Before care: Yes

Posted February 19, 2013
My son has gone to this school since he was in Kindergarten. They have focused more on his behavior than on his actual studies. They complain that he moves around while they are walking to and from the portables and he is often left alone outside the lunchroom because he was "talking" a few times they even forgot to let him go and eat his lunch. The Principle is unfriendly and rarely communicates directly to the parents. Outside of band, there are no extra curricular activities offered unless your child gets into TAG, the TAG teacher is not friendly and only selects the students that he likes whether they test into it or not. I find the school a very unprofessional environment overall. There are a few teachers who want to make a difference but most seem satsified with the status quoe. I can't wait until I am able to move out of this school's boundaries.

Posted April 26, 2010
Because the teachers and staff really care about our kids and the community we live in.

Laurel Elementary School 0

Posted April 26, 2010
The overall climate of the school is very positive. The PTA and community are very supportive of the school.

Posted October 20, 2009
All my three children attended Laurel Elem School. My eldest son is now at University of Maryland with excellent grades- a reflection of good elementary education. My second son is at Laurel High with a consistent GPA of 3.5. I still have a 6th grader at LES. The school has been one of the best in the area- exclusively known for it's high expectations for students. In my opinion, it's a five star school with distinctive discipline, safety, teacher quality, parent involvement and principal leadership. I have no regrets sending my children to the school.

Posted October 19, 2009
I can agree that administration/teachers at Laurel Elementary are more concerned with the discipline aspect of my childs school day then the learning aspect. I send her to school, not bootcamp...and I can't get over that the school administration is so ill prepared for the start of every school year!! This is my childs 2nd year at Laurel, and she's now in 2nd grade, and I haven't met her teacher officially yet. It seems the the teachers, have extended summer vacations for a number of reasons, and the school doesn't find that to be an issue, that students and the parenst have to get adjusted and comfortable with their teacher....only to have to do it again! And I am not at all impressed with the teachers, curriculium, or the so called extracurricular, Laurel Elementary offers

Laurel Elementary School 1

Posted June 29, 2009
My child attended Kindergarten at Laurel Elementary School, I was very disappointed with the curriculum. My husband and I had to spend a significant amount of time supplementing our child's academic development because she was so bored with what was being taught as the basics and fundamentals. The homework for the week my 'gifted & creative' child was given was so easy that it was done within 15 minutes of the close of the school day on Monday afternoon. The teachers are more concerned with getting the children to follow the rules and regulations and organized structure of the school day and less concerned about creatively challenging them academically. The school does allow opportunities for parent involvement, however given the wide variety of students who attend the school, they tend to treat all like they are on the lower, disadvantaged, or behaviorially challenged side of life and less like individuals.

Posted May 30, 2009

Laurel Elementary School 0

Posted March 28, 2008
My child started at Laurel Elementary in the middle of the second grade. He is now attending the 3rd grade at Laurel and I hope it will be the last year at this school. I hope to move, get him transferred or enter private just so he no longer has to go to this horrible school. I agree with the previous poster regarding their childs' academics being worse after attending tLaurel. My son was way above grade level in Kindergarten, 1st and the beginning of second grade before Laurel. He has not done well since being at Laurel and the teachers even grade papers wrong and make excuses by saying 'we havwe alot of papers to grade!! Horrible.

Laurel Elementary School 4

Posted February 21, 2008
I have a child in 3rd grade and a child in 4th and a child who is now in middle school who attended Laurel. The best thing about Laurel is that the teachers communicate quickly when there is a problem with either learning or discipline quickly. They really want to help the kids excel in learning and I appreciate that.

Posted October 23, 2007
This is one of the great school. Teachers are very much dedicated to uplift the quality of education. They continuously monitor pupil's progress and allow them to participate in a lot of diverse activities. They have awards to keep student committed to discipline and dedication. Their monthly reports about all the activities are very good to review about strength and weakness of student. They are able to generate curiosity to learn something new on science, which, I think, will help a lot more to build good career of their students.

Laurel Elementary School
516 Montgomery St, Laurel, MD  20707
Last modified Laurel Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Laurel Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top