Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

Moving here from Howard County I was nervous because of the reviews you hear about PG County schools but this school is a GEM! My daughter has had great teachers thus far. I can't say that for this year though but as with any school you will have some teachers that you just can't seem to get along with too much. My daughter has been challenged and the teachers seem well qualified. They have a very active PTO, they have always been responsive and if I have ever had an issue they have seem to find out how they can resolve it.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Most of the teachers are qualified and helpful, others don't really care or put the time in to make sure the students succeed.

Amount of homework: Neutral

I have my concerns with Homework, some grade levels do the right amount of homework while other grade levels OVER do it! Students should not have to spend hours finishing homework.

I know that the only reason why any parent would rate this school less than 4 stars is due to THEIR lack of involvement in their child's education. How is it that this school had nearly 30 students who were TAG identified in the the 2016 school year??? I was at the graduation for my child and at a 3.71 gpa TAG student and wasn't even in the top 15, goes to show the school is not the problem. That is proof that this school is better than average. To the previous negative posters here, you are the type of parent that expects the school to raise AND educate your child. You don't understand that both you AND the school are responsible for their academic (as well as other things) growth.

Very great experience with the teachers and administrators. My girls are thriving and love the environment.

I'm in the military and my child only attended this school for Kindergarten. Four grades later, my child and I both still remember Montpelier Elementary as the worst educational facility with the most sub-par, lackluster staff. The Kindergarten teacher we had was inexperienced and she seemed to lack basic skills needed to interact with that age group. There was a "counselor" who was known throughout the community as a rude and offensive quack. The school nurse was horrible as well. The principal and assistant principal at the time were severely inactive and unmotivated, there may as well have been wet scabs sitting in those positions, however scabs would have been more effective. Hopefully major changes have been made since 2011. If not, PLEASE DO NOT ENROLL YOUR CHILD IN THIS SCHOOL.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Fortunately my child was only at this school for one year. This is the worst teacher I've encountered thus far

Develops character: Strongly disagree

My experience was my child's teacher was a lazy educator who expected all the children to behave as robots. A ridiculous color system was used for Kindergarteners who had "bad days" which had an adverse effect on multiple students

My experience with this school has been terrible. While there are some teachers that care, they are so stretched and overburdened that the average student doesn't get the attention they need. Even with a 504 in place, nothing is done unless the student is disruptive. Don't look for extra help because it doesn't exist. Even the principal doesn't respond and I've had to contact the PG County Administrative office to intervene. I'll be moving just to get out of this school district.

The children and polite, engaged, challenged and encouraged to express their creative side. Very pleased.

Last modified Montpelier Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.