Laurel, MD
Before care: Yes

Posted December 20, 2014
Excellent in all ways.. Students are smart, engaged & challenged... Diversity is a plus! One of PG County's shining stars... :)

Montpelier Elementary School 4

Posted November 18, 2014
My daughter attended this school from K-5. She was ahead and consistently tested ahead and I was concerned that she wasn't being challenged until she tested into the tag program. At that point she was put in an accelerated program and she was definitely challenged. Upon leaving the school and entering a math and I.T. middle school she tested 2 grade levels up in math. She is currently in 8th grade taking 10th grade math and 9th grade science. I think this is because of her education at this school. There are certain staff members that could be nicer but the education my child received was fantastic. There are also some aggressive parents. People look down on PG county schools but my daughter us currently in class with children who went to private elementary schools and she is doing just as well as them if not better.

Montpelier Elementary School 3

Posted September 13, 2013
There are good and bad to the school. My child thrived while she attended this school and she continues to excel. The school offers the students various educational and fun competitions with fun rewards to motivate them academically. Some of the school staff need training and improvement in the area of communication or interpersonal skills with parents for the school environment. The school nurse Sheila Jordan is extremely rude for some unknown reason when she speaks with parents. Unfortunately, some of the office staff and the teachers are the same way. They speak to the parents as if they are reprimanding children. If a parent is not speaking with the staff in that manner, the staff should not behave that way. This is an unnecessarily condescending attitude and it is a shame that they don't recognize how unprofessional it is on their part.

Posted June 03, 2013
This school is one of the best schools in the PG county area! The teachers and amdinistration are committed to the wellnness of each child and are dedicated to strengthening their craft through workshops, professional development courses and in house staff training! I love love love this school! If you want your child to learn and be supported emotionally and developmentally send them here!

Posted March 01, 2013
I have two children attending Montpelier and likely a third one attending next year. When we first moved to the area, I was not planning on being here long enough to have to worry about sending any of my children to PG countly schools. I have one in 2nd grade and one in Kindergarten. Our experience has been extremely positive. I was very worried about the demographics of the school, as we are white, and hopefully not sounding racist, the majority of children are not white. Even as a minority in this school, I feel like both of my children are receiving a very good education. Could it be better, sure - what school can't achieve more. But as far as learning and development, they are both doing well. The school does require a lot of homework and reading. I will say that I feel that they are receiving just as good an education as most of my friends' children who attend private schools. The teachers, especially Mrs Seay, have been great so far. I would not have imagined that either one of them would have learned to read by the end of Kindergarten, but they have. They are excited about learning and Montpelier fosters that. Yes, we spent a lot of time on homework, but it's worth it!

Montpelier Elementary School 1

Posted January 24, 2013
if you want the true this school is awful. i have been going there for a while.the teacher are OK but surely NOT THE BEST.. But the worst of all is the uncleanness. THEY DO NOT EVEN HAVE SOAP IN SOME BATHROOMS.... you should only go to this school if you don't have the financial means to drive them any other place.

Posted January 11, 2013
It is amazing how negative most of these comments are when the real problem is not the school but the parents themselves. How many of these complaining parents have actually tried to help their children attain there educational goal instead of leaving the entire burden and blame on the institution? The unfortunate truth? Not many. I've had the privilege of sending both of my children to Montpelier Elementary where initially it was my belief that the work load was too heavy for their age group but over time the adopted and performed wonderfully, however whatever success they enjoyed was a result of parental involvement to complement whatever they were being taught in the class room. KM.

Montpelier Elementary School 1

Posted June 28, 2012
My children went to this school for a short timeframe. My youngest was constantly bullied/hit/stepped on, etc. on the playground. The playground attendants would stay inside and leave the children a lone. When I tried to talk to the teacher about it, I got no where. When I tried to talk to the principal about it, I got no where. When a school does not care about a student who is being bullied, it is not a great school. As far as giving lots of homework to students, this does not mean the teachers are doing a good job or challenging the students. It means that they are unable to cover the coursework at school so the work is sent home.

Montpelier Elementary School 4

Posted June 20, 2012
I don't know if the comments below are based on facts or their opinions. I like to speak based on what I have personally experienced. My child has just completed first grade at Montpelier and I for one did not expect much from a public school. But this school tries to get the parents involved. They challenge my child by giving homework (a lot of it) that initially I thought was rediculous but low and behold, he/she starting getting "it". Ms. Wheil is not only hott if you as me, but caring and sharp for being so young. Ms. Seay gives excellent feedback and responds to emails/phone calls. She has no problem giving an honest opinion and answered my questions/concerns. My child liked both of them which in and of itself assists with his/her learning. On the other hand, the before and after care program is another story. I don't recommend it as it is hit or miss. The lady who is in charge is kind, but from what I have personally witnessed, it is more like a boot camp than an after care program. yes, the two ladies try to keep order, but they go about it the wrong way. They need training but at their age, I doubt they would be willing to take it.

Montpelier Elementary School 3

Posted December 24, 2011
My name is Tiara Thomas I went to Montpelier elementary and I wont ay that I hated it, but the school was a bit out of control. I do not feel like the administrators did enough to keep school as orderly and comfortable for the students as possible. However, I learned quite a lot there. Although, there were those teachers that you did not like as much, there were also really memorable ones who went above and beyond for their students like Mrs.Cherowitzo (who i love love loved!!) and Ms.Green (who no longer teaches there). I am a longly progressed alumni of montpelier and I am actually a freshman at North Carolina A&T state university studying chemical engineering. Montpelier elementary did something right because I was well prepared for middle school and have been a honor roll student for the longest. Good things do come out of good elementary school. No, Montpelier isn't GREAT but yes its good.

Montpelier Elementary School
9200 Muirkirk Rd, Laurel, MD  20708
Last modified Montpelier Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Montpelier Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top