Julia Brown Montessori Schools 3

Posted May 17, 2013
Julia brown montessori is a very quite school at an affordable price to cater all section of the society and more diverse. The montessori methods are adopted but children and instructors are actually quiet normally children will make noise and be active but here kids are not that physically active may be the environment suits certain type of kids but the interaction between teachers and students may be OK so i would rate this as a OK school but for this price to get montessori education this is unbeatable but i recommend to look at other montessori schools keeping this a secondary option.

Julia Brown Montessori Schools 5

Posted April 15, 2013
My son and daughter both attended the Julia Brown Montessori school in laurel and I can say they loved it! The teachers, assistants and administrator were very kind, caring and compassionate. My children enjoyed the beautiful lessons and developed a sense of pride in the their accomplishments. The classrooms were clean, organized and inviting for the children and you could tell the teachers invested a lot of time and making the classrooms warm and welcoming. If I had a question or issue to discuss with the teacher, the administrator would make sure that I was always contacted in a reasonable time. Everyday when I dropped my kids off, I knew they were going to be well taken care of in a safe learning environment. I was very impressed by the level of learning and excited to see my daughter excel in reading as well as my son in Math. This is a wonderful school environment and I am glad that our children had the opportunity to learn so much at such a young age. My children are now attending public school and their teachers are impressed with how much they know and how respectful they are to staff and class mates. I am very happy they attended this school!

Julia Brown Montessori Schools 5

Posted March 30, 2012
Firstly, let me begin by saying that Montessori education is not for everyone. My eldest, now 18, went one year to a Montessori in AZ and did just fine in the MD public school system. My 16 year old daughter has never attended Montessori school, and is also doing very well through the public school system. My youngest came out of the womb obstinate, mouthy and ready to run the household. He required a little more in the way of rules and regulations. Yes, this school can seem a tad rigid at times, but I have to believe that, especially when they are younger, the kids are given very distinct boundaries and the teachers' expectations are set for a reason. My son is in his 5th and final year here at JBMS in Laurel (PK-3rd). It was a tough adjustment for him for probably the first month; suddenly he wasn't telling everyone around him that he's in charge. He has come out of this school respectful, independent, thoughtful of other's feelings, and easily 2 grades ahead academically. He and my 16 year old were literally doing the same homework last week. My son is 8. He loves school! He loves learning and he has loved his teachers (Guavara and Sensenig) and the Directress of JBMS!

Julia Brown Montessori Schools 1

Posted February 22, 2012
One thing that I think most parents who send their children to a montessori style school love is the mission that was started by Maria Montessori herself, that each child should be able to create their own space to learn and to develop in an environment that caters to that. I feel that this julia brown montessori school in laurel, md FAILS to do so. The environment is very choking, almost militaristic, and the teachers nit pick at every rule that is set for the child. It is sad and unfortunate. I would not recommend anyone sending their child here.

Posted March 03, 2010
We are very happy with the level of learning my child is experiencing. The classroom teacher is wonderful. As many of the other parents noted, parents are not allowed to be involved. The administrator is very rude and uncoopertive. It is as if the school is a secret society. You are not allowed to observe your child's class other than the one scheduled time. If you call to speak with the teacher, the administrator refuses to allow it. If you ask how your child is that particular day, the administrator ALWAYS says she was just in the classroom and the child is fine. Although my child is advanced for his age, we will be looking into changing schools next year due to the inability for us to be involved and due to the secret society attitude.

Posted February 04, 2010
My daughter has attended Julia Brown in Laurel, MD for 2 years now, Preschool and Kindergarden. I did a lot of research regarding types of learning before I picked a school for my daughter. I choose Montessori for her because it is hands on, self paced and allows for a child to become their own independent person. I have attended parent observation days and actually seen and loved the learning enviornment that is enhanced by classical music playing in the background. They also get an hour in the morning and another hour in the afternoon to play outside or indoor activities during inclement weather. Which allows for full concentration during class time. The parent teacher conferences also kept me up to date on my daughters progress. I feel safe in knowing my daughter is in a closed to public enviornment and cared for by such loving individuals.

Posted November 05, 2009
My son went for a year for kindergarden. I have to say i was disappointed by his progress. I don't see it as a real school now. You can say its an extended day care. If you really expect your child to learn lot of stuff, then this is not a good place. The main problem with this system is that they don't give any feedback on the progress of your child. They never tell what your child did and if he is lacking on something. They don't give any kind of homework or handouts to home. So parents won't have any clue as to what the kids learnt or did at school. So i moved my son to public school for first grade. I am quite happy now. For the kind of fee they charge, i don't find it worth.

Posted August 04, 2008
I agree with the other reviews. my daughter was a 5 yo in preschool for 1 year and I felt like she was not learning much academics but only grooming. I guess because she was one of the oldest in the class. She even started to forget things she had learned in Kindercare. I regretted moving her from kindercare. She was so bored she refused to go to school daily saying she is not learning anything. I took matters in my own hands and started teaching her how to read. When I told her she was going to another school next year she asked me if they were allowed to talk in that school. I guess JBMS was not for my child. I felt like my child was in a military environment, it felt somewhat uncomfortable.

Posted June 25, 2008
I tend to agree with a lot of the reviews here in relation to the closed system, lack or even discouragement of parental involvement and high teacher turn over rate. However, my child is learning very well and I ll have two of them attending there in the fall.

Posted May 27, 2008
We were very disappointed. During our child's short tenure there, management rebuffed parent attempts to be involved in the educational and social process for the kids. The school is an extremely closed system. You essentially drop your child off in the am, and then pick them up at the end of the day - with virtually no information as to what they did in class. In our experience, the school did not welcome our comments and suggestions and was cold. And as invovled parents, we wanted and expected more - and this was not the ideal environment for us. We have moved our child to another private school that is more open and welcoming. Although JBMS is one of the less expensive montessori schools in the Maryland area, there are aspects -as mentioned above-which outweigh the attractive price.

Julia Brown Montessori Schools
9450 Madison Avenue, Laurel, MD  20723
Last modified Julia Brown Montessori Schools is a Private school that serves grades PK-3
Julia Brown Montessori Schools Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top