First Baptist School of Laurel

Private | PK-8 | 180 students

We are best known for low teacher/student ratio.

Living in Laurel

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $194,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,240.

Sweep tile

Posted March 8, 2014

The school has gone through many improvements over the last couple of years and is currently in great shape. Faculty & Office staff changes have been made and the BJU-curiculum is used throughout all grades. Recently a PTO meeting was held to increase parental involvement and awareness. The facilities are excellent as the building is only 7-years old. It is worth checking out as tuition cost is comparable.

Posted September 24, 2013

First Baptist School has a very child friendly atmosphere. The principal Mr.Hudson is very open to parent concerns and takes strides to enhance the students' learning experience in every way possible despite budgetary constraints. Several teachers have been with the school for many years and are very experienced in their fields.

Posted September 1, 2013

This is good Christian school to attend. The price is quite reasonable for families who want an alternative to the public school system, especially in PG county. Their before & after care program is very affordable. The only concerns I have is I wish the school followed the PG school system in terms of start date, end date, and holidays.

Posted August 22, 2013

I can't say enough good things about the first baptist school of laurel. My children, in 3rd and 5th grade, have received a quality education that is strongly based on solid biblical truths. They have learned foundational academics but have also built character and grown spiritually. I am so happy that my children go to a school where prayer is not only allowed but strongly encouraged. I was hospitalized midway through the school year. This difficult experience was made bearable for my children through the love and support of the school. We have been truly blessed by our family's experience at FBSL.

Posted November 17, 2011

Horrible leadership. No enrichment programs. Curriculum is not challenging. For school year 2011-2012 the new principal changed the curriculum, lunch program, uniform store, and discipline policy without giving proper notice to parents. The principal does recognize the educational needs of children about grade level. His wife teaches three classes Art, Music, and Media and together they are biased. If you want to go to a cheap school this is great, but for the education you get what you pay for. To say somthing positive the teachers are pretty good but are not supported by their principal.

Posted November 17, 2011

A new principal came to the school last year. The principal appears inexperienced. For the 2011-2012 school year the principal changed the curriculum, discipline policy, uniform store and lunch program. The uniform store Just 4 kids is terrible. All these changes were made after parents signed and paid re-enrollment fees for the 2011-2012 year which is unfair. The principal does not know how to deal with children below or above grade level especially those that need to be challenged. The school work is too easy similar to the public school system. The principal does not listen or trust his seasoned teachers and appear inflexible to changes that make sense. The teachers are good but can only do so much with a poor leader. Enrollment is low only 185 students and 12 total students are in middle school which is 6,7, and 8th grade. Only 6 students are in 5th grade. Need I say more do not enroll at this school there are better options out there. I heard similar compliants from other parents.

Posted September 6, 2011

To say the least, I was sorely disappointed with FBSL Middle School. The teachers were not hands on which I would have expected more of since there were only 4 eighth graders. The teachers have a responsibility to the students, if there is a problem to inquire with the student and parent to resolve learning issues. I was not aware of any issues until my son received his report card. When I inquire with the teachers about their responsibility in ensuring that my son comprehended what he was learning and receiving an unfavorable grade, their response was "No, but I should have". So basically they just graded him unfavorably and never inquired if he understood what was being taught. I would not recommend this school until they changed their processes.

Posted July 9, 2011

This is an excellent Christ-centered school. After attending several other area private schools, this one has been the absolute best choice for our family. The school leadership is quick to resolve any concerns that may come up. I agree, however, that the afternoon pick-up proceedure can be frustrating. All in all, we couldn't be happier with this school.

Posted April 6, 2011

My son and daughter have been at FBSL since the early fall. We are from out of state, and wanted a good Christian school. Well, we found it. FBSL has wonderful teachers, a caring principal, and we thank God for such a great school.

Posted March 26, 2011

The school could stand some updating on math, science, and reading. Otherwise students will not be able to compete with their peers on the outside. One of the most frustrating things is not being able to access standardized test scores.

Posted March 26, 2011

Academically, this school is behind the curve. The antiquated system of 1 teacher teaching all the major subjects (reading, math, science, etc) is detrimental to the students' future success. Also, this school is big popularity contest. The students who consistently win top awards and contests are those who are children of teachers or of very active PTA members. It would be best to reward the adult for their contributions and allow the students to compete on merit. There are a few good teachers but some are hired without prior experience in teaching the grade that they are assigned. This is not acceptable for a private school. The new principle is very hands off and does not demonstrate a clear vision for the school. Parents send our kids to academic enrichment programs like kumon to get them back on track. Lastly the student pick up process is extremely frustrating. Having kids stand outside even in the cold to wait for their parents. Its worse if you have two kids in different grades, then you have to go around the block more than once hoping that your second kid is out by the time you come back around.

Posted February 1, 2011

Wish I could concur with the positive comments shared. My children have been there through 2 principals and for the money spent in tuition, you're better off checking other area Christian schools. The only positive to the school are the caring teachers and the Christian education. The negatives - crowded classrooms, no strong emphasis on math or science, disgruntled employees, weak school administration. Check the standardized test scores.

Posted January 10, 2011

I'm thankful that God has provided my family the means to give our child a Christian-focused education via FBSL. The teachers have a passion for educating the children, the principle & staff are dedicated to growing and improving the school, and the complex which includes First Baptist Church of Laurel was built with the school in mind. Highly recommend any parent wanting to create a strong, faith-based worldview for their children to consider enrolling at First Baptist School of Laurel!

Posted January 6, 2011

challenging curriculum, Christian education. I love FBSL and the new principal! He has many years of experience and loves and cares about the students and school.

Posted January 6, 2011

My child is in her third year at First Baptist School of Laurel. It has been the perfect school for her. Each year her teachers have been exactly what she has needed. She is learning so much in a loving, disciplined, Christian environment. I recently had the opportunity to be a part of chapel with the Elementary kids. It was a JOY watching these kids have fun singing about Jesus. I wish I could put video on this review for your to see. :~) The school began the new year with a new principal, who I believe will continue to grow the school and make it a great place of learning. There is not a day that I am at the school that I do not see the principal walking the halls or outside with the pickup or drop off lines. I don't worry at all about my child when she is at school. She is in good hands!

Posted January 4, 2011

We are blessed by having our kids attend FBSL. After careful searching out different private schools in northern PG & western Montgomery county, we found that FBSL was the best choice to send our kids to. Our kids are enjoying it as well & are attending in their 3rd year now.

Posted October 22, 2009

When I drop my son off in the morning, I have absolutely no worries all day long. I go to work and can actually focus on my job because I know he is well taken care of. If there is anything I need to know concerning my son, I most definitely will, otherwise it is 'no news is good news'. For our family First Baptist School of Laurel offers the whole package.....Education, Discipline, Safety, Fun....you name it. I just call it PEACE OF MIND!

Posted October 21, 2009

I have two children attending FBSL and I'm glad that I made that choice. My third grader has been on honor roll since kindergarten. I used to have a problem engaging my first grader in reading, but now he comes home very focused and excited about reading. Both my children test scores showed that they were both above their grade level. The school have so much to offer (spelling bee, math bee, bible bee and so much more) and I'm so glad that I chose FBSL to send my kids to.

Posted August 28, 2009

I read the review about the teachers being there too long and had to laugh! I LOVE that they have teachers there who have been teaching for so long! Their level of educational training is consistently above grade level. My son's state testing scores were way above state and national averages for someone his age! The classes are smaller so each child is able to recieve more one on one attention with their teachers. I have 2 children who attend there and as long as we are able to afford it , will continue to send them to FBSL. Please check it out for yourself! Make an appointment to interview the principal and see the classrooms and ask to see the school's testing results for the individual grade you would be enrolling your child into.

Posted January 13, 2009

My child has attended FBSL since kindergarten. I have been very pleased with both the quality of the education my son is receiving and with the learning environment. His teachers have challenged and encouraged him. He has also consistently scored above grade level. The school atmosphere encourages cooperation and my child has never complained about being teased or bullied. He enjoys his teachers and his classmates. I feel very lucky to have found such a great school for him.

Two or more races 7% N/A
Asian 4% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Russian
Spanish
Chinese
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Arts & music

• Russian

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Thomas Hudson
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Baptist
Associations
  • ACSI
Fax number
  • (301) 317-9381

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Virtual school
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

Arts & music

Visual arts
  • Photography

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook