Brock Bridge Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 644 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 20, 2014

Teachers do not communicate with parents until the problems have become so deeply rooted it is extremely difficult to fix. Faculty does not inform parents of specialized assessment. My child started this school in the second grade. When he entered, he was above grade level in both reading and math. Now my in the third grade, my child is at risk for failing the third grade. This school has failed my child and me. Anne Arundel county has failed us. Parents, I implore you to seek out alternative forms of education in lieu of Brock Bridge Elementary.

Posted June 29, 2013

While there are 'gem' teachers, there are also quite a few who don't make the grade. The school lacks grade-level to grade-level consistency in education quality. I am grossly dissatisfied with the lack of advance learning programs or gifted testing and/or options there and in AACPS elementary schools. I am also dissatisfied with the movement of teachers between grades - 4th grade to 1st grade - too big of a gap. You end up with the 1st graders not being babied and the 4th graders out a great teacher; it does a disservice to the stundents and the teacher. The reading teacher is awesome, but was one of the best classroom teachers. Another great teacher left last year for Crofton last year and my son and I are still in mourning. For once I woud like to enter a year anxiety-free, knowing he has a top-notch teacher, that's going to challenge him based on his aptitude, not by the curriculum schedule. Whatever happened to creativity in education? I know there are politics and hinderances, but great teachers know how to make adjustments to both meet the standards but also support his/her students reach their full classroom potential. BBES is improving, but still has a long way to go.

Posted April 17, 2013

The education is slow and low in quality. "Leave no One Behind" is BS, it only holds back advances students. The work load is nothing like a private school. In fact, the learning criteria for Brock Bridge is a year behind private schools. Very Sad! The politicians know this, but they only make excuses. Why would the politicians care, when they send their children to private schools. The political atmosphere in Maryland stinks! It's becoming a socialist State! It's a haven for "Illegal Immigrants, New Americans is the name given by the Socialist Governor. The Delegates support illegal immigrants and criminals more than law abiding citizens. A warning to to all Legal Americans, don't move to Maryland! Research the Representatives, the majority are Democrat, but worse, some of these Democrats the seasoned older crowd are Neurotic Socialist. They are slowly striping away freedoms to fulfill their socialist beliefs. Oh, don't blame it on the Principle or the teachers, it the people who run the State, and I have already covered that in above comments.

Posted January 22, 2013

All 3 of my children attended this school 2009 - 2012 and I could not be happier with the education they received! We received orders to PCS to another (more prominent) area, and when my children arrived and were tested at their new school for placement they tested above grade level in both math and reading! I was ecstatic! Thank you Brockbridge teachers and staff!!!

Posted January 23, 2012

This school is good if you are looking for friends, fun activities, and work that exercises the mind. The field trips are great and there are never any fights. But the cafeteria needs a lot of cleaning everyday and a large amount of the teachers are mean. Although, their is a fun activity that occurs every month, you have to earn a certain amount of bobcat bucks (a reward in dollar form if you are good) and if you do, you get do stuff like movie day, game day, carnival day, cookie decorating, dances, and a lot more. Most of the teachers are excellent at teaching so that makes it easy to take tests, and they are real friends, some of them. The principal is really nice and lets the kids get a treat if we succeed a challenge. Overall the school is great.

Posted December 22, 2011

This school has a lot of high point and some challenges. The new principal leadership and highly responsive and visionary. This school does good job of managing diversity. One best kept secret about the school is that it produced more African-American students at the advanced level on MSA than ANY elementary school in neighboring Howard County Schools. My children have had some great teachers and some OK teachers. It pay to be very visible and involved as a parent at this school.

Posted February 18, 2010

This is a great school. The children are well behaved and the teachers are very professional. Leadership could be stronger but parents have to remember you cant just send your kids to school and expect them to come home with a good education. You have to sit down with them every night and review their homework. My daughter does and has always gotten a lot of homework. My wife and I are also are very active in her education. Parents have to be an advocate for their child every step of the way and work with teachers not against them. That is what makes good schools.

Posted February 26, 2009

My two children are attending this school since 2007. They seem fine at school. Whenever I visit the school, teachers looked very busy to greet with parents. School staffs more welcomed visitors and were kind. My concern of this school through my kids is that teachers need to care of every students in studying in more details. Please teachers! I understand you guys are so busy for your many duties but that is what teachers should be...quite sacrifice to those children. Please put your energy to teaching and explaining more!!

Posted May 28, 2008

The special education children seem to be grouped into one lump regardless of how little or how great the disability. So you've got ADHD with extreme Autism in the same class. My son is bored out of his mind and now hates school with a passion. He's faking illnesses daily and I'm dragging him to school all yr. Thx!

Posted April 15, 2008

We did not have a positive experience with this school. At the end of the year I had one child barely passing her grade, and my other child bored out of his mind from lack of challenge. It seems if your child doesn't fall in the 'middle' they are out of luck. There were no programs offered for struggling or excelling students. The main goal of the school seemed to be about behavior and controlling it aka pull a card/good listening club. What about the kids that don't have issues with that? I now homeschool my kids until we can afford to move to a better area.

Posted February 1, 2008

The teachers at this school are very involved and care about their students. Parent involvement at our last school was much better. PTA meetings average less than 10 people. Too much work falls on a small group of parents and teachers.

Posted November 1, 2007

My son is in the 4th grade. I really like his teacher, all of the teachers to this point, the parent involvement and the activities that the PTA puts on. Mr. Noon is a great Vice. He is very pleasant and engaged. Ms. Briscoe never speaks to you. If she sees you, she just nods and keeps walking. I don't feel that she is setting a strong cultural foundation at the school. I like the idea of the agenda books, but I feel that school needs to get up to the times. The school is dirty and needs a paint job.

Posted November 1, 2007

I have a son in special needs K. Compared to his school last year this one is a God Sent. I walk my child to class on a regular basis and the school always seems clean. His teacher and assistant have gone well beyond of what I expect to help him acheive his goals. The Vice Principle is always willing to help when he is needed, and his therapists are not only great with his progress, some are even the normal greaters outside in the morning and more than happy to talk with what ever concerns I have. Over all I am extemely pleased and excited to bring my son to school every day and pick him up just to see what he learned and how his day was.

Posted September 20, 2007

My child has been at this school since third grade, he is now a fifth grader, we like his teacher this year and every year he has attended. I am not thrilled with the principal she is not friendly to parents or children. I don't like the fact that this school is very diverse yet september 15-October 15 is hispanic heritage month and nothing is being done to celebrate this, I am a school employee in another district and every heritage is celebrated. My son was also very upset about the same.

Posted September 2, 2007

The teachers and staff are very condescending toward parents. The POD environment is aweful and is poorly set. The school is dirty as well. The special education is so varied it's not helping the children learn to their full potential.

Posted August 23, 2007

I totally agree with last rating. The negative behavior seems to be the main focus. My child has awesome grades but i don't hear from the school until there is a negative comment to be said. There has been emergency situations that have happened that has placed me in a paranoia for my child's safety because I find out about it on the news.

Posted June 9, 2007

The school needs a leader that will keep the teachers on track. The school is a PBIS school but only focuses on the negative behaviors.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 7, 2006

My daughter started at Brock Bridge this year and so far I am pleased with her progress. although the building is older than I would like the school does not seem to be lacking in resources. The PTA is strong and parent participation is strong. The staff does a great job maintaining order and discipline.

Posted June 20, 2005

My daughter just graduated from Brock Bridge, and I have nothing but good things to say. The current Principal is not great, but luckily the rest of the staff is solid so her shortcomings don't spill overaffect anything. The curriculum is great, the teachers care, the PTA for the last 2 years has been incredible (there are all new PTA officers this year, though). I would highly recommend this school to any parent.

Posted March 7, 2005

Both my children, currently 5th and 3rd grade have attended all of their elementary education at this school. I have nothing but praise for the administration and faculty at this ever increasing school. The curriculum is hard but fair and the teachers really seem to excel at bringing out the best in all children. I would highly recommend this school as their ever increasing state scores show the highest of academic achievement is expected. The PTA is highly involved and is second to none, check out the awards they've won!

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

>=95%

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Asian 11% 6%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 34%N/A40%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

405 Brock Bridge Rd