Forest Ridge Elementary School

Public | K-5

Posted May 21, 2014

Forest Ridge is a phenomenal school. I have been so impressed with the staff and teachers this year and would highly recommend this school to anyone. We moved here at the beginning of the school year and I was concerned how my children would acclimate.The school has exceeded my expectations in every way. I am greeted daily by my daughter's special education teacher and my other daughter has thrived in her GT classes. Forest Ridge is a gem and I would not let the score of 6 out of 10 deter any parent from choosing to live in the surrounding neighborhood.

Posted September 10, 2013

My daughter loves FRES! The PTA is great and very active. The administration and teachers are nice and welcoming. My daughter is in her 3rd year and really enjoys her school. We both enjoy the after school activities and G/T programs offered.

Posted August 22, 2013

My child loves Forest Ridge! The school is so warm and welcoming, and morale and school spirit are high. The academics have been great so far (through second grade), with advanced G/T type offerings/activities as young as kindergarten. The PTA sponsors so many wonderful activities too. The on-site Howard County Parks and Rec before- and after-care is great too - also very friendly.

Posted April 30, 2013

We moved to this school district from another state where both of my children attended private school. The transition was not easy as there were different curricula and expectations, as well as normal angst about meeting new neighbors and friends. However, the teachers and school counselor at Forest Ridge were very committed to helping my children through some rough spots and always welcomed my feedback, thoroughly addressing my concerns and genuinely caring for my childrens' well-being. The principal is approachable, reasonable and thorough. I have lived in 17 addresses in my life (fortunately my kids haven't!) and this is the first time I can say I do not want to ever move again. It's the first real sense of community I have ever felt and my children have embraced the neighborhood, school friends and withouth a doubt, love their teachers. Kudos to Mrs. Crawford, Mrs. Caha, Mrs. Chrzanowski, Mrs. Kruft, Mrs. Menck, Mrs. Rachael Schwartz and Principal Swartz! Thank you for being such an important part of my children's development.

Posted August 22, 2011

Two of my children attended K at FRES, and we love the school! The educators are enthusiastic, helpful and they keep the lines of communication open. Whenever I have a concern, I send an email to one of their teachers and the respond in a timely, courteous and professional manner. My children grew so much within the school year. We are all looking forward to first grade there! The PTA is also wonderful and I have had great interactions with other parents.

Posted October 27, 2010

Unfortunately my child's experience at this school left us very disappointed with the staff and the principal leadership.

Posted March 9, 2010

My son attended 1st, 2nd and part of 3rd grade at FRES and my stepson started Kindergarten there as well. The school is fantastic. The teachers we dealt with were great. The teachers truly care about a student's progress. We were sad to leave this school and the kids miss it very much.

Posted March 25, 2009

My child has only attended FRES for one year and we both love it. The teachers and principal are great!

Posted November 2, 2008

FRES is the best school. Great teachers, and good management. GT programs are nice. Good encouragement from teachers.

Posted January 18, 2008

I am a FRES parent and I must say this school is awesome. The faculty is top notch and the principal is wonderful with the kids.

Posted September 9, 2006

In many ways, I am so sorry that we had to leave Howard County, because my son loved Forest Ridge! I believe that he received the best possible education there, which was certainly on par with any private school in the area. The teachers are highly competent and the principal cares about each child. In addition, FS offers a very safe environment. I would recommend the school highly.

Posted May 16, 2006

This spring I moved my first grader from a private school to Foreest Ridge. We are ecstatic about the quality of education and overall experience our daughter is having! Dr. O is amazing and his great leadership is reflected in all aspects of the school experience. My daughter is flourishing academically and in social relationships. After years of paying for private pre-school and kindergarten, I'm amazed at FRES. The environment is nurturing, organized, fun and fantastic! Our wish list for curriculum additions includes more art, more science, more music, and more foreign language (all of which we had in the private schools). We have not regretted our decision for a moment.

Posted March 2, 2006

I am the parent of a 1st grader. She has been attending F.R.E.S since kindergarten and I love the school. The teachers, Dr.O and staff are exceptional. I honestly believe(I am an educator in the PG County school school)that F.R.E.S. and Howard County does what it takes to prepare these young scholars for the future. Teachers are well qualified and passionate about providing a good learning enviroment. Keep up the good work!

Posted January 31, 2006

I am a former intern at F.R.E.S.. The students, staff, and administration at this school are wonderful! Every teacher acts as an advocate for the students, and they are the most dedicated group of individuals. While they were incredibly supportive towards me, they were equally supportive towards the students. Students were held to high expectations, and the teachers went above and beyond to help the children to succeed. In addition, Dr. O., the principal was personable and friendly to each student. I would highly recommend this school to any parent! Keep up the good work F.R.E.S.!
—Submitted by a teacher

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

108 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

108 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

110 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 17% 6%

• Instrumental music lessons
  • Opera
  • Vocal lessons / coaching
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

Arts & music

Music
  • Choir / Chorus
  • Instrumental music lessons
  • Opera
  • Vocal lessons / coaching
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

9550 Gorman Rd