Hammond Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 509 students

Posted November 5, 2014

this is an excellent school...the principal is on top of things. she is very involved in all the school's activities. I even saw her outside on the bus loop helping and directing the kids. We are very lucky to have Mrs. Pratesi at Hammond. the teachers are fabulous. They challenge the lids and make them work to their best potential. I rate it a 10/10. Bravo Hammond elementary School administration and staff!!

Posted June 13, 2014

My kid loves the school, teachers, staff, and the Principal. I rate it 10 on 10 :)

Posted June 12, 2014

My daughter has been going to HES and I have been very very happy with her overall performance. I love the staff and teachers. They try to make the student do their level best. Very impressed overall!

Posted June 10, 2014

My child has been attending Hammond Elementary School for 2 years now and I feel that she is receiving an excellent education. The school has been in transition with a new Principal this year and extensive redistricting a few years ago, but I have had good experiences here so far. All of my child's teachers have been really willing to help her learn and the Vice Principal (Mr. Tark) is always friendly.

Posted May 1, 2014

This is my children's 2nd year at Hammond and they really enjoy going to this school. The teachers are all very friendly and willing to communicate any issues and progress as it occurs throughout the year. The music program is excellent and the class is very diverse in its student body. Each grade has different levels to allow your child to excel at their pace be it top of the class or at the back they will continue to improve. The school very much encourages parent volunteers and has a great PTA system. Being attached to the middle school is a bonus going forward and the school feels very safe and well mannered.

Posted June 5, 2013

Coming from AES K-2, I've been very pleased with my child's third grade year at HES-as it's such a pivotal year academically The entire third grade team has been excellent! They have been interactive from the start and proactive throughout the year in what works best for the children. The assistant principal, Mr. Tark, is also very involved with the children and approachable.

Posted April 2, 2013

Obviously a one-star ranking indicates a bias-slanted issue and AES (8) is ranked lower than HES (9) overall. Still both are very high and redistricting can be stressful. Regardless, as a military member who has lived all over, I had no intention of exposing my children to a public school education until I moved to Howard County. HES is top notch with great cultural diversity to prepare my children for the real world. The new VP is awesome! I'm content with having my children educated in Howard County. My sister is a professor and specializes in elementary education. She reviewed the numbers and found we have one of the best schools in one of the best districts nationwide. We frequently share programs with her and she found use of diverse lesson plans and techniques that push children to higher learning standards. I spoke with some military doctors who found humor with colleagues sending children to private schools when they could get a private school-equivalent education from most of the public schools in Howard or Montgomery County. If we don't get redistricted away from Atholton HS (rank=10) I will consider my kids lucky to get a public school eduction here.

Posted March 14, 2013

My children have all gone to HES and still are. We have always had great communication with all the staff and administration. Sometimes it takes a little on the parent's part to communicate what they need from the staff and administration. You must remember there are over 500 students in the school. Volunteer some so the teachers know who you are...and YES I do work full time and find time to volunteer. If you see what is going on in the school, you will be extremely impressed.

Posted March 13, 2013

This school could be called Test Prep Academy. I'm tired of my kids spending an entire quarter getting ready for the MSAs. Also - I agree with the poster about communication. The admin. should use the newsletter to let parents know what's going on in the building. right now, for an elementary school, there's no "personality" coming from the school -- all the spirit/community comes from the PTA.

Posted February 11, 2013

I appreciate each reviewer sharing their perspective, good or bad. Not every teacher, student, and parent is going to have the same experience. At this time, I can give 3 stars and hopefully this will change to 5 stars. Does Hammond provide a safe learning environment? Yes. Are the academics strong? Yes - I would give this alone 5 stars. My children are challenged and I have the teachers to thank. How is the staff? The front office is friendly and kind. Lunch aids and recess aids are great. Why 3 stars? There is a lack of communication or lack of managing parents' expectations about communication. I would give this area a 1. For example, "no news is good news". Parents may not need to hear how wonderful their kids are (or maybe they do), but they may need to hear something. Comments on the report card would be helpful. Kudos to the teachers that take the time to write substantive comments and communicate with parents. Not every parent knows what questions to ask or can easily decipher the letters/numbers. How could Hammond improve in my eyes? Better communication.

Posted December 4, 2012

Like a new job, a new school takes some getting used to. I have two kids at HES and couldn't be happier.

Posted October 28, 2012

I LOVE Hammond. The teachers are wonderful and the administration is great. I have had three children go through Hammond, and they all had a great experience!!

Posted October 4, 2012

The teachers of this school are EXCELLENT! It is sad to see when someone rates HES low because my children have had problems addressed in this school immediately and have had help when needed. Today they are strong in their academics due to the time and dedication of these teachers. We have many new students this year due to the redistricting who have come into an awesome school. Plus our new wonderful vice principal who came from AES as well as many of the students so he already knows many of the issues there may be with a redistricting. I hope everyone has a good school year and to keep trying to communicate with the staff and teachers.

Posted October 3, 2012

We just got redistricted to this aweful school from AES and so far I have not figured out what the hoopla is all about. I agree to the reviewer who posted about non cooperative and judgemental staff. My son is having the worst possible time at this school with the staff and the over all handling of all the issues that we have faced so far. If I could give it a minus zero star, I would.

Posted February 20, 2012

My daughter arrived at HES after having spent 3 years in a private school in which all students were taught in one class per grade. She was a bit behind initially during the first 1/2 of her year at Hammond. Fortunately, with the individual attention afforded students at HES, she moved to above grade reading and math 1/2 way through the year. Hammond teaches below, on, above, and gifted & talented classes so that each child has the ability to succeed at his or her own level. No one's perfect. However, HES teachers, staff, & adm. come darn close!

Posted July 20, 2009

A little apprehensive about my son first attending HES. Was the only African American boy in his class for a while. Eventually the numbers have increased. Really enjoyed the teachers, kids and other administrators. All made us feel very welcomed. My sons teachers were very communicative. Extra work was given if a particular lessons wasn't quite grasped. Many opportunities to partake in student leadership rolls, choir, clubs, etc. All parents that I've met have been inviting. The Principal & faculty have things under control - no disciplinary problems, bullying, girls being catty, etc observed by me. My son excelled.

Posted January 6, 2009

Great instructional program, highly qualified teachers, great learning environment

Posted July 23, 2007

I moved my children last year from a private school to Hammond Elementary. They both enjoyed Hammond school, teachers, activities and scored very well in their respective grades. We are very with Hammond elementary, the teachers and also the curriculam.

Posted October 12, 2006

We made the mistake of placing our child in a private school for kindergarten. The workload was over the top for a five year-old, and he developed anxiety. We expressed our concerns to Hammond, and they had the resources and the desire to help our son immediately and passionately. Now he is relaxed, happy, and learning quickly. Thank you Hammond Elementary!

Posted February 18, 2005

My family is in its third year at Hammond. If I did not know that I was part of the Howard Public School system, I would think that I my child was enrolled in a private school(where I have had the opportunity teaching). The Principle and Vice Principle are extremly supportative and responsive to the needs of the children. With this administration 'it is all about the children.' While we do not always agree with all of the teachers all the time, they have our total support. We really feel that the administration demand that the teachers strive to teach to the individual.The level of administrative academic observation, review and assessment is constant. Thus, the quality of academic programs steadily impoves and challenges. The related arts program and activities emcompasses diversity and sophfication. As to test scores, people should be careful quoting inaccurate information!

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2014.

79 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2014.

104 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Maryland used the Maryland School Assessment (MSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The MSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2014.

104 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

77 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2014.

102 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2014.

101 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2014.

101 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 20% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 8%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students School psychologist
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Health & athletics

Staff resources available to students
  • School psychologist

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Join PTO/PTA

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

8110 Aladdin Dr