Hammond Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 528 students

Posted October 20, 2014

I love this school so much it has great people and nice teachers I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Posted May 31, 2013

During a recent assessment for the musical groups, students were rowdy and left unattended by adults. These students were causing commotion in the lunch area, disturbing others including fellow classmates. I feel as though I should be able to rate a lower than a unsatisfactory due to the obscenities displayed by the pupils.

Posted November 28, 2011

Best school i have ever been to by far. I would give this school a 6 out of 5 if i could. The staff really cares about the students but there are a few teachers to watch out for...

Posted August 7, 2010

I've attended Hammond for two years so far and it is just an amazing school. Friends from others schools are always very impressed at how advanced and hard- working Hammond students are. All the students and teachers are helpful and the chances that a new student attending Hammond Middle will find it hard to fit in are very, very slim. The teachers always find a new way to challenge students, but understand each and every child's specific needs and learning styles.

Posted June 5, 2010

I've had two children graduate from Hammond Middle School. This school had an excellent GT Math program, an awesome music department, and challenging academic programs. The staff was interactive and supportive. One of my children had an IEP and the entire staff worked with me to ensure that he was successful. An A+ school!

Posted June 27, 2009

Now that i am out of HMS. I will say that last 3 years were very good. MS.McGowan the Principal of Hammond was goos and so was Mr.Davis. The teacher were good some were good and some were great . Kids can join clubs it was just Great school and i will miss everyone that i talked to .

Posted June 12, 2009

Wonderful school. I had two sons attend Patuxent Valley Middle School and this school prepared my third son for high school better. Loved it!

Posted June 5, 2009

I'm in my last couple days as an 8th grader at Hammond and I have to say I have loved the last 3 years. All of the teachers are great although there are few that are exceptional and a few that are a tad boring. There are a bunch of clubs to join. The band ( which I am a proud member of) is fantastic, we've beat out the competition at Hershey Park the past couple of years and even won the whole thing last year. It's a good size, not too small and not too big. I definitely feel that I am completely ready to go on to high school( ATOWNN!!!) next year and succeed and HMS has made that possible.

Posted May 1, 2009

I go to Hammond Middle School, and it is great! The teachers are nice and they have alot of spirit! The teachers will not stop pushing you to do your best! There are alot of great things about them, but i want you to dicover the mysteries of Hammondd Middle school.

Posted March 7, 2009

Hammond Middle is a great school. The staff is very proactive and the teachers are great.

Posted September 24, 2008

I have two children attending HMS and I am very pleased with the curriculum, teachers, and administration. The coursework is challenging and I feel that my children will be well prepared for high school.

Posted August 25, 2008

I have always been impressed by the quality of teachers @ HMS. I had three children attend Hammond Elementary, Middle and two High School. My children have excelled in each subject thanks to their dedicated teachers and administrators!

Posted April 25, 2008

Our third daughter is at HMS and we are very, very pleased with the teachers, administrators and counselors. Outdoor Education was a hit with all three. Our two oldest daughters were well prepared for high school. One of our children had an IEP and we were pleased at the level of help supplied by the staff.

Posted December 1, 2006

HMS is good a school, but its needs more extracurricular activities. The only thing they really have here are after school sports intramurals. There are not many afterschool clubs for afterschool activities, and that needs to be worked on. Its a safe school. Fights don't happen, or anything of the sort. School parking lot policy needs to change. The PTA seems good, althought my parents are not involved in it. The teachers are all excellent, and I've never really had problems with any. Overall I give it a 4. Us students really don't even see the principal. Occasionally she makes announcements but nothing more happens.

Posted May 17, 2006

Our daughter is in her second year (7th grade) at HMS and our experiance with both the administeration and the faculty has been terrific. I go on-line every day to check her progress as 5 of her teachers use Teacherease! I have sent at least 4 of her teachers e-mails and have always received a response within 24 hours. We pulled both of our children out of Catholic school to have them attend Hammond (our son is in the elem school) and know that they are leaps and bounds ahead of their old classmates. Two areas worth special mention are the band, which is nothing less than amazing; and outdoor ed, which is character building as well as educational. One thing I would like to see improved would be an increase in the amount of extra-curricular activities offered to the students.

Posted November 23, 2004

This is our second year at the school, and we are very very pleased. The teachers are all good and a number are truly outstanding. The principal is new, but seems to be off to a pretty good start. The homework load for the GT classes does seem a little burdensome, but I gather that this is the norm for Howard County. One note about extracurricular activities- the band is excellent!

Posted November 5, 2003

Hammond Middle is a great school. It has great staff members. My kid goes there now and they are all there for him when he needs it. I cannot think of any negative things.

Posted September 2, 2003

My youngest child is now at Hammond Middle School, and I'm thrilled to be back and involved in the school. The staff and administration are awesome. They're always accessible and ready and willing to help when and where needed. My first time through with my oldest child was a great experience for both of us, and I made some lasting friendships along the way, too. I can't think of one negative comment to post here because I think HMS is such a great school. The criterion I use is this: Are my children thriving at HMS? The answer each time has been yes. It can't get better than that!

Posted June 22, 2003

School is crowded, outdated, and children must go through maze like settings to find their classrooms. Teachers have little enthusiasm for the classes they are teaching. Bulleying happens at this school and the teachers and principals have no programs to police or address this problem. Teachers do not get with you on issues until the interim, they are not proactive in getting a student help if they are struggling. The school is crowded and kids are often hurt in the hallways. The atmosphere at the school is depressing and not stimulating to the students. There are very limited extracirrucular activities for the students.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2014.

150 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2014.

104 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Maryland used the Maryland School Assessment (MSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The MSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

164 students were tested at this school in 2014.

>=95%
Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2014.

164 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2014.

157 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2014.

156 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2014.

155 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 12% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 10%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students School psychologist
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Arts & music

Music
  • Band

Health & athletics

Staff resources available to students
  • School psychologist

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Join PTO/PTA

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

8110 Aladdin Dr