No rating

Greenspring Montessori School

Private | PK-8 | 232 students

Our mission: igniting purpose and voice in a fully engaged learning community.

Living in...

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $302,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,130.

Posted June 11, 2014

My daughter is finishing her first year in the Children's House Spanish immersion class. While visiting her grandparents, she recently said "My teachers love their kids." A simple statement, but it meant the world to me, to know she spends her days where she feels loved and secure. I love the sense of community. Even aides from other classrooms know my daughter from the carline, and even her little brother (who is not yet a student there). Everyone is friendly and approachable and my daughter loves her school and all of her friends. In terms of improvement, we have struggled with communication in terms of events or activities, especially in the upper elementary where my stepson attends. As a split household, there has been some struggle with keeping every parent in the loop. Even with my daughter's teacher, it helps to be proactive in contacting them. However, I truly feel that each teacher I have met and especially the head of school, Ms. Balis, genuinely cares about the well-being of each child and is committed to providing them with an excellent education. I highly recommend this school and its philosophy to other parents.

Posted May 29, 2014

Our daughter will be starting in the Children's House at Greenspring Montessori School this fall. We feel strongly that the Montessori approach is the best fit for our daughter. We have been well taken care of through each step of the Admissions process, from our first visit to the school through the enrollment process. We loved the prospective parent education workshops (we are already implementing some of these Montessori techniques at home!) and the Welcome Playdate for new students was a wonderful way to start building a sense of community for new families. We have been treated with professionalism and warmth every step of the way. We can't wait for the new school year to start!

Posted May 21, 2014

My child is completing her 3rd year at Greenspring Montessori School and will be going on to the lower elementary class here next year. We have been pleased with the kindness, efficiency and professionalism of the staff at all levels. I continue to be amazed by the guide's true understanding of my child and her academic and social capabilities - and needs. The new head of school has earned my support by taking a good school and pushing it to be better. We have seen improvements in infrastructure, teaching standards, curriculum alignment, faculty support, parent education, and communication with families. As the school settles into these rapid changes, we will hold the five star review for the coming year. I would and do recommend this school.

Posted May 19, 2014

I recently applied for admission for my 2 year old. I am appalled by the Director's of Admissions communication manner. She takes four days to respond to an email and does not return voice mails. If that is the way the door keeper communicates, what can I expect from teachers and other staff? I will never know anything about how my child is doing behind the school's doors. She will never go there. That was a bad choice. I regret paying the $75 application fee.

Posted May 13, 2014

Both of my children have attended Greenspring Montessori. My older son completed the three year Children's House cycle, while my younger son started in the Toddler Program and is now in his first year of the Children's House. With both children, we have had overwhelmingly positive experiences. The teachers are nurturing, encouraging, and very much in tune with the children. They consistently refresh classroom materials so that there is always something new for the children to explore. And the faculty have always been very responsive to any questions or concerns we have had. We have also taken advantage of extracurricular activities, such as the before/after school Discovery Program, story time, art classes, and yoga instruction. My children have thoroughly enjoyed all of them. I would recommend this school without hesitation.

Posted May 10, 2014

As a previous post stated, many CURRENT students are being asked to leave because they don't fit the ideal Montessori student, or at least not for this school. This is not in the spirit of what Maria Montessori envisioned for her schools. My child is one of the students being pushed out and we have been treated pretty poorly by the administration. Luckily, my child is bright enough to have learned in the less than optimal classroom conditions and I'm positive he will thrive at a school where he is really wanted and where the administration and teachers embrace students with diverse learning styles. If a true nurturing environment is what you are seeking, you would do much better elsewhere.

Posted May 2, 2014

Hello! I am writing this review both as the parent of 2 happy children who have attended the school and because I am the school s library media specialist. I want to clear up some misinformation in a prior review. NO items are being removed from the library. In fact, we house a majority of the titles listed in the last post and will encourage our students to continue to enjoy them! We do intend to add more titles for our students aged 5 and younger that have a realistic or nonfiction focus. This is because our Montessori practice and pediatric research encourage us to expose them to things they can see happening in the world around them. There will always be a place for rich literature of all types in our collection. At age 5, children start a sensitive period for imagination and crave imaginative literature and we provide it! Much love, collaboration, research and intellect has gone into building our media center and it is our hope to continue expanding on this collection to best suit the needs of our growing community. Best wishes to all!

Posted April 30, 2014

Greenspring Montessori is an amazing fit for our 6-year old. She started in the Toddler program at age 2 and was reading by age 4. The self-directed and holistic learning environment, with thoughtful teacher direction and guidance, is a perfect fit for our self-motivated learner. The teachers truly love and respect the children and it is a wonderful, close community.

Posted April 29, 2014

Without the support of a large peer-reviewed study that followed children for several years, the school will remove all books with talking animal characters from the library this fall. Maria Montessori believes that books with talking animals discourage creative problem solving. Expect to be told not to read such books to your children (Think Winnie the Pooh), and discouraged from allowing them to watch Sesame Street and other programs where animals and inanimate objects help them learn valuable life lessons. Read up on Maria Montessori before your children are no longer allowed to read The Jungle Book, The Peter Rabbit Stories, Aesop's Fables, The Wind in the Willows, Charlotte's Web, Watership Down, The Call of the Wild, Black Beauty, or Doctor Dolittle. Most importantly, ask the administration if it has peer-reviewed scientific research to back up this decision.

Posted April 29, 2014

While a majority of the students are in the primary program, my child is in the middle school program. The middle school has been a disappointment. Many parents have hired tutors and many students are not being accepted at schools for the following year. The administration has not responded to parents' requests to modify the model to help the students get ready for a traditional high school experience. In fact, it has decided to implement a more radical Montessori model and is alienating many long time Montessori families. They are now turning away CURRENT students because they have deemed those students as not suitable for Montessori. It's a shame. Enrollment is down, teachers are upset by new library policies, and parents are choosing other more stable schools for their children to attend. My teacher rating below is for the middle school. The middle school will have it's 4th new teacher in 4 years starting in 2014.

Posted April 28, 2014

We have had an amazing experience with this school. Our daughter is in 5th grade. Her teachers have been wonderful. The school cares and respects the child. The teachers and administration are top notch. There was a new head of school that came 2 years ago and she has turned the school around. We couldn't be happier. Our daughter has had incredible and thoughtful lessons. The curriculum is top notch and all geared toward life. Our daughter is better prepared for the future having gone to this school. Thank you!

Posted April 28, 2014

Our two year old started Greenspring Montessori this year. We love it. His teachers are wonderful. He has grown so much over the year- has mastered so many important skills (from peeling eggs to dusting to playing for long periods). It is a warm, loving environment that above all respects each and every little one. We look forward to his experience in the children's house next year. There is something very special about the school - we are thrilled to be a part of the community.

Posted April 28, 2014

Greenspring Montessori School 'celebrates and nurtures each child's intrinsic desire to learn'. It offers a child centered approach to education that I think Maria, herself, would be proud of! The teachers are loving and kind. The (new) head of school is involved, welcoming and, in 2 short years, has done a great job of turning the school around, building enrollment, and bringing the community back to Montessori! She knows everyone's name! The student work is challenging and preparatory. Greenspring Montessori has been a second home to my family for well over a decade and will always hold a special place in our hearts!

Posted April 23, 2014

Greenspring Montessori has been a great fit for our 3-year-old. The Spanish Immersion program has been extremely beneficial for reinforcing the Spanish we speak at home. The teachers are helpful and kind and provide lessons to each child at the right time. They encourage the child to be pro-active and help offer a wide array of choices to develop different skills. There is learning in their play. This is not "daycare", it's an investment in the future.

Posted March 26, 2014

Admitted my kid with lots of hopes but it was shattered. The management wanted to admit the kid but the class teacher so called Guide didn't want the extra burden of adding one additional kid to the class. Right from the day one the guide had a very unpleasant attitude as if they are doing a free service they don't want our kid and management forced over them to have in their class. Teacher plays the most important role in kids life and one teacher with wrong attitude can do a great deal of damage. They have a great montessori program but I request the management to have right people to support it. I strongly don't recommend this school not worth the money you pay.

Posted March 25, 2014

A great fit for my son. He has been going there since he was a toddler (now in equivalent of second grade). He is a sensitive boy, but he is very comfortable at the school. His learning and personal growth there have been amazing.

Posted March 16, 2014

Both my children go to the children's house (preschool program). We have been very happy with the education and the care they get there. They are very happy, too! We will be keeping them there for a while.

Posted March 9, 2014

Too many changes going on at the school and very poor communication. One lower elementary classroom has had 3 different sets of teachers in 6 months which is tough on the children who find change difficult. We have not found the school to be very supportive of special needs.

Posted October 18, 2013

Greenspring Montessori, formerly The Montessori School, is an amazing learning environment for both of my children. Children work at their own pace, rather than a one size fits all approach to learning. Children get to make some choices about the different academic material they want to study each day. This freedom of choice allows the children to be more independent, and they are more engaged in their own learning experiences than in a traditional school setting. Children have the opportunity to do many hands-on activities to explore Science, Math, English, Art, Music, Language, and Technology in a way that helps them understand and master these subjects. Being at Greenspring Montessori has helped my children love to learn, and that is truly priceless.

Posted August 15, 2013

A fantastic education while fostering independence, creativity, and development of the whole Child. The teachers are well trained with extensive experience in Education. The school is being led by a visionary leader who puts forth 110% in her efforts to improve the school while implementing a solid Montessori curriculum.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 10% 6%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Spanish
Polish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:15 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 5:45 p.m.
  • Tamara Sheesley Balis
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • Infant
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Montessori
Associations
  • AMS

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Independent Study

• Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Community service

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom