PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

My children have had 4 different teachers at Greenspring. Without exception each teacher was/is outstanding, not just in how they deal with our children, but how they communicate with us.

Develops character: Strongly agree

One of Greenspring's cornerstones is grace and courtesy, community and inclusion. In my child's younger years at Greenspring the classroom had a "peace table" where conflicts were "safely" discussed and resolved in a positive and encouraging manner. Our child learned amazing lessons through this process. This is just one small example of the Greenspring magic.

The only word that can be used to describe our experience with Greenspring Montessori is OUSTSTANDING. After sending our other kids to public schools we sent our youngest to GM and she is now in 2nd grade. She loves school, has loved each of her teachers, and is our only child that would rather be at school than out of it. The school has helped stoke a real passion for learning and developed independent thought. She became an avid reader by first grade. Her teachers at Greenspring have been magical - all of them. Perhaps more important than the school's dynamic learning is the fact that GM models grace and courtesy, and community and inclusion. I love the person our daughter is becoming, and I attribute much of the success to the environment that Greenspring provides her. More recently, because of the magic that is Greenspring, we moved our other child to the school. He has already fallen in love with the school and has regained his passion and interest in learning - thanks to Greenspring. Thank you to the entire Greenspring community - especially its teachers (guides) - for providing an outstanding educational environment for our children.

Buyer beware. We had tremendous hope when we enrolled our child at Greenspring Montessori and fully intended to send our other children as well, however we unfortunately learned the administration is a complete disaster. I initially read negative comments about the high faculty turnover rates and complaints about the head of school before we enrolled our child and dismissed them as sour grapes. I wish I had listened to them. My child had 9+ teachers in the classroom this year (not counting gym, art, etc) due to staff turnover and poor management by the administration following a tragic incident on campus. The incident was terrible enough for the teachers and students directly impacted without the administration cycling 5 new teachers plus a bunch of new children into the classroom in the weeks following this incident. Eventually 4 of those 5 new teachers disappeared without explaination to the parents. The lack of stability in the classroom, the administration's sugar coating and white lies to the parents re: the tragic event and their total disregard for the children most impacted was sad and something that affected my child very deeply. I wish I had pulled my child out of Greenspring Montessori sooner. I struggled with whether to post this review but if I can prevent one family and one child from experiencing the horrible impact of this nightmare administration it is worth it. There are a lot of great private schools out there, but Greenspring Montessori is not one of them.

Having worked in education for the last 15 years, I could not be more impressed with the experiences that my son is having in the first six months at Greenspring Montessori. He is in the Children’s House and within such a short amount of time has demonstrated a love of learning, a growing sense of pride with his own accomplishments, and desire to care for the world around him. All of these changes that have occurred in the classroom have been brought home. I can’t speak to all classrooms, but the dynamic between the lead guide (teacher) and assistant in his classroom is outstanding. His lead guide understands his interest and strengths so well that she is able to determine just the right way to push his learning to the next level. When I read the weekly reports and hear the specific learning that has occurred, I am always impressed. In addition to the relationship that she has made with my son, she is also passionate about her craft as a Montessori educator and reflective about her practice. The assistant guide I think of as meeting and supporting the emotional needs of my little guy. I remember the first time being called that he was feverish and needed to be picked up. As a mom of a new school-age kid, I was initially nervous and anxious. But, I was so relived to see the assistant guide sitting with him in the nurse’s office, making him smile, and trying to get him to drink some water. In addition to the culture of my son’s individual classroom, I have been impressed with the overall community of the school. Whenever I meet another adult on campus, they have been personable and receptive – with a majority of them sharing a personal anecdote about my son. I have come to learn that there are many ways that the community purposefully creates opportunities for cross age experiences and learning from each other. Just this week, I was pleased to learn that an upper level teacher was planning to attend a session with a math instruction consultant at the age level below her group. I will say my only frustration was during the admission process with communication. I later learned that there was a transition happening in the admission department, which was probably a source of challenge. For our family, we knew that our son would thrive in a Montessori environment and Greenspring Montessori School has exceeded our expectations.

We have two kids at GMS. One in children's house and one in the toddler program. We could not be more happy with the programs. Our teachers are fantastic and our oldest is already developing a love of learning that surprises me everyday. I highly recommend this school.

Develops character: Strongly agree

My two children have attended this school from toddler into Elementary and we couldn't be happier with the high quality guidence and nuturing they have recieved through the years. Thanks to Greenspring Montessori, they are knowledgable about world-wide cultures, plants, animals, ect. I love the shelves packed with anything and everything your child would ever want to learn about in such a beautiful environment! I wish I had acess to the math materials when I was in my formative years! What a gift for these chidren. The teachers are so dedicated and kind, my children always feel secure and happy. The "grace and courtesy" lessons they recieved in their toddler and primary years have shaped them into courteous and thoughtful citizens. Thank you Greenspring for the hundreds of meaningful lessons, opportunities to bake, garden, sew, ect, and exposure to an International expression of community! We feel blessed to be a part of this unique and nurturing community throughout the years. We are especially impressed with the passionate leadership and dedication into making Greenspring Montessori better every year!

I cannot speak to the younger levels, but the new administration and faculty are doing a terrible job with the elementary. They are not working in the best interest of the child and are giving Montessori a bad name. What they call "authentic Montessori" is NOT how Montessori is supposed to be. My family has had a horrific experience with this school and I would strongly advise anyone looking for elementary age children to look elsewhere!

My son is currently enrolled in the Toddler program so I can only speak of that. When my husband and I was looking for primary schools in the area, we immediately realized that no other school we looked at came close to the class room environment that we observed from GMS. I appreciate the fact that they give us weekly updates and photos taken from their classroom. I am also grateful that the community helped us when it came to potty training our son. If not for the push & encouragement from them, we wouldn't have been able to potty train our son this early. It was my son's guides who told us that our son is ready and willing to learn to use the potty. There are regular coffee & conversations that catered to the various needs of the parents, an avenue to air out concerns. I just wish they were at a more convenient time because I do have to work my schedule around it. Most important of all my son is happy and thriving. The only down side we had to deal with is the expense and flexibility of pick up for working parents like us and we regretfully had to make a decision to move our son to another school because of that. GMS is a great school and I wish we could stay.

I am blown away by some of the comments posted on this site. It goes to show the different experiences that people have. I could not be happier with my experience with GMS. I have a child currently enrolled. My child has been here for a little over a year now. This is our first experience with Montessori and I could not be happier. I have older children as well, and, to be honest, I am not sure it would be the best fit for one of them in particular. The Montessori method of teaching may not work with every child, especially if they are coming from different learning experiences or have different needs, but it is indeed the best fit for my child currently attending GMS. The love and care demonstrated by the guides in the classroom is unmatched. The skills taught in the classrooms go far beyond ABCs and 123s, they develop our children as thoughtful, caring, independent, confident young people. I could not be happier with GMS and am so grateful to the administration and the staff for all they do for our children.

Last modified Greenspring Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8