No rating

Chapelgate Christian Academy

Private | PK, 6-12 | 350 students

Our school is best known for our academic and athletic programs.

Living in Marriottsville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $525,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,240.

Posted December 16, 2013

This is my child's first year at CCA. I was nervous in the beginning of the year because we turned down an acceptance at another school. I was hopeful that I made the right choice. We just felt CCA had a little more to offer. This year, however, has exceeded my expectations. The teachers have been very motivating and encouraging. The other students in the grade all seem to get along. Last, the academics have been quite rigorous. Two of the teachers are teaching everything in the basic textbook, but then going much deeper into the subject matter. This school has turned out to be great for my son.

Posted March 7, 2013

I am a parent of three children. Two are attending CCA. One is a senior and one a middle schooler. Chapelgate has been a very good fit for my children thus far. My daughter has been successful in her classwork, her friendships and other areas of interest to her such as volleyball and creative writing. She has taken AP tests and scored 4s and 5s. Currently completing the college application process, she has received acceptances and merit scholarships from every college thus far. My 8th grader also likes CCA a lot. He is doing well in school and is challenged, more so in some classes than others. He is looking forward to playing baseball with CCA next year. He loves the family atmosphere of the school and is close to his classmates. My third child will be starting CCA in sixth grade next year. I am somewhat less sure that the school will be a great fit for him- that has yet to be seen. If it is, then great! If not, we will move him in to our excellent public school system (he is in public school now.) You will get out of CCA what you put in. Kids have to work hard, be respectful and put themselves out there and participate. It's not a perfect school, but it's a very good one.

Posted May 29, 2012

I love the academics. You get a great education, college preparation beginning in 9th grade and increasing as you get older, and most of my teachers are understanding of my situation. I have some troubles in my family, and my teachers are so accommodating. Although I'm a junior this year, and I've attended since 8th grade, I still feel rather rejected by my fellow classmates. Thankfully for younger students, though, many of the younger grades are much more welcoming. I think you should at least give it a try and see if it fits your style before you go an make judgments. Oh, and btw, there is a FINE art department lead by the Studio Art/ Drama/ Creative Writing teacher. She's the reason our plays/ musical are so fantastic every year.

Posted May 8, 2012

I have had two children graduate from CCA and one currently attending. They have received a good education, they scored 4 or 5 on their AP exams and scored higher on their SAT's then their friends in Howard County Public Schools. They were very active in sports and able to participate in mission experiences with the school over Spring Break. I am very thankful for their Christian worldview. The school and the students are not perfect, but that is true everywhere. However, overall they provide a solid education, build character in your children, and offer many activities for an affordable price.

Posted April 14, 2012

I have a 10th grade son who has attended CCA for 5 years and he really enjoys it. The staff is great. When I have had an issue in the past, I felt the administration listened, cared and addressed the issues. My younger son is in public school (by his choice ~ but will be at CCA for HS) and comparing the education between the public school and CCA, I feel that CCA offers a higher standard of education over all. I also love that all the staff are Christians and pray for and care about their students. I would definitely recommend CCA if you are looking for a strong, Christ-centered, academic school.

Posted February 2, 2012

I attended this school with my brothers. Not all the teachers that are bad, but some are just unbelievable. The band teacher has no control of her classes and she has anger problems. The guidance counselor is also no help. She is supposed to guide students and help seniors with college applications and so on. However, she left without a word to go on a vacation during this process. Because of this, I ended being rejected from the college I wanted to go to. I even asked the head of admissions why I wasn't accepted... and she said that it is because they never received my transcripts nor guidance counselor recommendation letter. When I asked the guidance counselor... she replied to me, "I forgot to send yours."

Posted June 23, 2011

My daughter attended 9th grade. The Band class starts 45mins before the normal school day... called zero period. The entire HS band meets during this class time @25 students. Kids are pulled once a week from an academic class for weekly band assessments. A night mare for any kid with organization issues. The band teacher is very young however mentally she is very rigid and does not understand executive function issues such as ADHD. I would not recommend band here if your kid has this kind of issue. Also, teachers run out of the building at 3pm..

Posted March 8, 2011

It's great and all that but some teachers don't like it when you flip out seeing a bug or sometimes they grade unfairly Just so you know, the desks are about the size of the textbook

Posted October 20, 2009

I am a parent of a new student in the 10th grade and he is doing a lot better than he was previously in the public school he attended. He was welcomed by everyone he came across and says the environment is a very relaxed, no peer pressure, everybody gets along type of environment. We like other parents read previously posted reviews and I can honestly say that my son says that non of the negative stuff is true. That's not to say that the school is perfect but what school is?

Posted October 2, 2008

there was a post here that talked about students sitting still and i'd just like to say that that is totally true. as is the entire post. there are many teachers at this school seem to feel that students don;t need to be involved in the class. and are more apt to tell students to be quite then to get them involved. i know this 1st hand first hand. while i was at CCA they did all they could to push Riddlin onto me and my family (of course we said hell no!) still its that sort of thing that one should be careful of. i'm currently attending a highly selective college, have a job, and am very sugccessful as of now. and all this off a public school education and no mind altering drugs. take that CCA!

Posted September 18, 2008

My daughter entered Chapelgate in 8th grade after a horrific time in public school. All the kids were welcoming and the teachers couldn't be more accomodating. My daughter took a little time to adjust to the different academics but it was a much better environment than any public school! If you want to expose your child to the 'world' while getting a good education, there is not a better school.

Posted July 18, 2008

I am a current student at Chapelgate and I certainly disagree with some of these comments. I recently started Chapelgate in 07' and I felt like when I began that I was already family. The teachers act as outlets, when most of the students are having difficult times. I recall a situation where a classmate of mine wasn't prepared for a class project and the teacher allowed them to come back and recieve majority of the credit. I am returning as and 8th grader and I can hardly wait. The art class had to be one of my most favorite subjects, Mrs.Bonell not only showed us out of the ordinary but rememberable things. I am proud to say that I go to Chapelgate and that I have learned nothing more than the best.
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 7, 2008

tjos school is pathetic. offers no arts, nor does it support art. My child has been attending this school for less than a year and i am not ashamed to say that I am extrememly dissapointed in the art program.

Posted April 16, 2008

My 15yr old son just started here in the 9th grade and absolutely loves this school! The academics are great and the support from the teachers is outstanding. I would definitely recommend this school to any parent wanting a challenging nurturing christian environment for their kid.

Posted June 14, 2006

My son has been at CCA now for 4 years. He has often commented about how much more pleasant the student body is overall than at his public elementary school. My husband and I find the academics excellent; our son has been challenged without being frustrated. The teachers know and care about each student which enhances learning greatly. The main reason we chose CCA was to provide our then middle school aged son a nurturing Christian environment in which to develop before he made his way out into to the wider world. CCA has done that and more; we couldn't be happier.

Posted April 4, 2006

We highly recommend Chapelgate to anyone. The school's not perfect, but show us one that is. The school is almost 15yo, and has done an excellent job becoming what it is and is improving on what it can become. Our son has attended Chapelgate since 6th grade and is receiving an excellent education within a Christian environment. Adolescent issues are found here that are found everywhere but on a miniscule scale. Be aware that a clear academic system begins in 6th and carries through to 12th grade. When a student enters in later years, he/she could lag behind while adapting to the system. When considering transferring students into CCA (especially HS), parents should consider their child's ability to adapt to new situations and environments remembering there is an already-established student body.

Posted February 18, 2006

My child told me 'At Chapelgate, the teachers care about me.' That pretty much said it all to me! He feels the teachers are approachable for extra help. As a parent, I appreciate the web access to Edline reports, which list current grades as well as missing and upcoming assignments.

Posted August 28, 2005

This is a great school! My children have attended CCA for a few years and they couldn't be happier. We (parents) are thrilled also. Great academics, excellent committed teachers, lots of wholesome activities. Discipline and values are taught here - imagine that!

Posted June 28, 2005

Anger characterizes my dealings with this school. I had a middle schooler there last year and i have pulled him out due to the rediculous policies of the teachers (a several hundred dollar band trip was considered mandatory) and the lack of understanding for families with financial difficulties. If you are looking for a safe, friendly christian environment, you're better off with your local public school.

Posted June 13, 2005

This school is insane. It drove my son to depression because his whole grade depended on getting some papers signed. The discipline is rediculous and the students aren't graded on their academic performance, but rather on there ability to sit still and be quiet during class. If someone is interested in sending their child to a private school i strongly recomened looking somewhere else.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 16% 6%

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Public Schools
Private Schools
Home Schools
Colleges most students attend after graduation Maryland University
UMBC
Howard Community College
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
German
Korean
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Orthopedic impairments
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Robotics club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Individually guided instruction
  • Multi-aged
  • STEM
  • Student-Centered Learning
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator

• Graphics
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Book/reading club
  • Math club
  • National Honor Society
  • Robotics club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

8 out of 10students were accepted for the 2014-2015 school year.

Students accepted for the 2014-2015 school year
112
Applications received for the 2014-2015 school year
132
Students typically come from these schools
Public Schools

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered
Need based

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Maryland University
UMBC
Howard Community College
College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
Community college courses