No rating

New Mark Of Excellence School

Private | PK-12 | 10 students

Living in Milford Mill

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $155,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,200.

Posted September 16, 2011

All I can say is read and listen to the reviews. Do not enroll your child in this school. There is NO diversity at the school what so ever. This should tell you something. The behavior of the administer is unexceptionable and should not be tolerated. In fact, as opposed to actually enrolling your child in this school I would recommend that you locate a blue ribbon public school. Keep your money in your pocket for college. Also, I had a relative who attended the school. She was in the 6th grade and was still misspelling simple words like "Godfather". This is ridiculous and unexceptionable. When your child leaves this school they will not be prepared for their next level.

Posted September 1, 2011

My experience with this school has been positive. All the teachers are caring, dedicated, and skilled. Mrs. Davis expects excellence from the students and staff. The school is accredited and has a challenging college prep curriculum and almost 100% graduation rate. The school is a safe environment for kids. The school is small so the students get more individual attention and there is a family closeness. Mrs. Davis has been an administrator and teacher in public and private schools for many years. As with any business, don t base your opinions on negative reviews. The best way to judge for yourself is to visit the school and meet the teachers and students. You have to see it and feel it for yourself. It s a great school.

Posted January 11, 2011

I wouldn't recommend this school to anyone. I figured it would be a great school to enroll my child in but after the 2nd week of school I was ready to remove them from the school (the only problem is that you sign a contract). They have a uniform policy but the website that you have to purchase the uniform tops from never have anything in stock. It's a fundraising fee of $250 but no fundraiser which I believe should be explained b/c I consider it being a "just because" donation rather than a fundraiser. They will close for ever little thing as if parents don't have to work . Once they had to close early due to a little snow only problem is they waited until the last minute instead of calling they sent e-mails out at about 10:45 a.m. informing us parents that the school was closing at noon I found that to be so tacky. I can not wait until this school yr is over NEVER AGAIN...Lesson Learned

Posted December 9, 2010

If you are considering sending your child to New Mark of Excellence, please stop and reconsider. The staff and facilty in itself are ranked above adverage in my book. But as far as the leadership, founder and principle Ms. Davis does not display a love or even caring for her students. She is condesending and unprofessional in meetings with students, parents alike. I would think as the leader and owner the most positive and professional attitude would come from the top. Clearly, Ms Davis is not concerned about the reputation of her school or more importantly, even the emotional toll her literally and for lack of better words mean and purposely hurtful comments have on the students under her care. I can not in this forum convey the level of disrespect I experienced on a regular basis from Ms. Davis and the negative effects she has had on my child. I hope no other parent or child has the experience myslef and my child had at NMOE with Ms. Davis.

Posted August 3, 2010

My husband andI looked at this school for our daughter and immediately decided not to enroll her. As we were talking to the staff member (she said she was Mrs. Davis' daughter) all she was doing was rolling her neck around in circles, telling us how much she couldn't wait to get out of there so that she could go and get her massage. I was really turned off by that gesture and immediately told my husband that was not the place for us/our child. That let us know that her massage was more important to her than our child's education. We took our money somewhere else.

Posted August 18, 2009

I am a parent who has had two children in the NMOE school for the past three years. My oldest child will attend high school at one of the best magnet schools in Baltimore because of the foundation he received in New Mark. My youngest is starting middle school this year. I appreciate all of the strengths of the school. I'm a firm believer in finding out all about a school in person before I commit to a contract, so there were no surprises for us. We knew what we signed up for, and because we are hands on parents, we had no surprises about our children. We have received more than what we've paid for, and I love New Mark and Ms. Davis for that.

Posted October 28, 2008

I am currently attending this school and ms chaney is like the best teacher who supports every student with the same respect regardless of who you are are the teachers are curious and they all treat you like their students and i would like to congradulate ms. davis for making it and all other teacher who teach us to be leaders. KEEP IT UP!
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 29, 2008

I am a parent of a student who attended this school. Overall, the academic and administrative staff is very supportive and seems to genuinely care for the welfare and academic progress of the students. The leadership and management of this school, though, leave a lot to be desired. The Principal eschews immoral behavior and other forms of misconduct which in itself is good, but I have found her to be extremely unfair and condescending in her tone with students and parents regarding issues that arise that would reflect badly on the school's reputation if these issues were publicized. Ms. Davis will misconstrue facts in order to maintain the so called integrity of her school. This school is supposedly based on Christian values. I find it extremely hypocritical and disappointing that she would resort to deceptive measures when dealing with issues that directly affect the reputation of NMOE.

Posted September 24, 2008

I am a fervent believer in giving credit where it is due, but in all fairness I have to speak up to anyone considering enrolling their child/children in this school. Be careful and read the contract before plunking your money down. Should you decide to take the plunge and have your child attend this school, sign up to pay monthly. Should you decide to withdraw and transfer your child, you will not have wasted your money because you won't get it back. And believe me; you will come to that decision. This school has the potential to become great. It's not bad, but it sure could use some improvement; especially in the area of leadership. The leader/founder/principal, lacks all of the qualities she demands from her students and parents. Successful relationships require mutual respect and cooperation. Both of which are seriously lacking from Beverly Y. Davis.

Posted September 24, 2008

Posted September 4, 2008

I was introduced to the NMOE environment in a way that is unique and that hopefully in a way that many others will never have to. I am a person who strives to see the best in people, yet in the process I was hurt beyond belief. I love the students at NMOE; many come from great homes with awesome parents, and the disciplinary enviornment is one that the youth of today really need. However, my concern is with the integrity of the leadership-what you see is NOT what you get, even what you are told is NOT what you will receive! I took Ms. Davis at her word, and I trusted and believed in the mission of NMOE, however, I ended up being hurt in the process: FINANCIALLY, emotionally, and mentally! Though this hurt my family, I have learned how to trust God in every way. To everyone else-GOOD LUCK!

Posted August 29, 2008

I have one word to say to any parent who is contemplating enrolling their child in New Mark of Excellence Run! Just about all of the written reviews have one common dominator, not recommended. I enrolled my fifth grader and my tenth grader into this school for only one year. For the entire school year, my tenth-grader covered only two chapters out of the book in geometry. My fifth grader was so behind that she had to repeat the fifth grade. Ms. Davis is obstinate and extremely defensive. She is unwilling to listen to anything the student and/or the parent has to say. She shows no concern regarding the feelings of others and has no problem insulting you or your child. At registration time, I was given a flyer that included the proper uniforms to purchase. I sent my children to school with the exact uniform that was published in the flyer later to find out that I had been given an old flyer and that the uniforms had changed. I really don t see where Ms. Davis is in love with the kids as I read in one of the reviews, my interpretation is that she is in love with the school, why not, after all, she is the owner. We all want to believe that because we are spending money, we are buying our children a great education. Yes, the praise and worship is a good thing in school and thank God for it. But remember, we take our children to church each Sunday for praise and worship. So don t let that and the bible teaching give you a warm fuzzy feeling that your child is doing well and can successfully compete academically. Be sure that your child is really learning. The school is so disorganized that some days, teaching was not a priority. Personally, I am very surprised that this school is still in business. I believe its partly because parents are so excited about having their child in an affordable private school that they fail to do research. The other part is that they can t get out of the contract and the parents don t want the burden of switching in the middle of the school year. Wonder how many repeat students versus the number of one-timers. It only takes a few short weeks to realize that parents made a mistake by enrolling their child in NMOC. Keeping quiet while others continue to enroll their kids does not motivate change to this environment. Yes, this school does have a few good attributes a great location priced reasonably and a great concept. I would love to hear comments from some the former students who had to endure the negativity and confusion. Better yet, let s hear from some former staff members. Both you and your child are getting cheated all in the name of Jesus while lining the pockets of Ms. Davis and NMOC.

Posted May 29, 2008

I have 3 kids that attends and 1 that will soon attend. I believed that the education that they are receiving is great. NMOE don't settle for less. Ms.Davis has the best in mind for the kids. She may not be as friendly as people would like but I think she is doing a great job with the kids. No, I don't agree with everything that she does, we all could uses some growing and change. She is not perfect everyone have they faults. NMOE is a christian school but I don't think they use that to try and get over. NMOE has changed my 15 year old son's life by showing and teaching him not to settle for less and to do your best. Thanks Ms. Davis for doing a great job!

Posted April 25, 2008

I've been at this school since the very beginning, and from what I've experienced, I am happy that I stayed there. No one and nothing is perfect. Everything has flaws. NMOE is still growing so there will be mistake and mishaps (not life threating or nothing), but isn't that life? I love that atmosphere, the discipline, the staff, and the God based foundation that this school is based on. I highly recommend this school if you want your child to go above and beyond in life instead of just average.
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 10, 2008

I think the staff and principal need a refresher course in interpersonal relationships. The lack of people skills is astonishing. Not a good envionment for growth.

Posted January 17, 2008

I am a parent of a four-year old. My daughter attended NMOE for one year. The curriculum is good and the teachers are exceptional. I gave this school a 'Below Average' rating based on the administration. The principal lacks the people skills necessary to successfully interact with the students and teachers. It's sad that a school that has so much potential be dragged down by the personality issues of their leader. Needless to say, I will be looking elsewhere for my child's elementary education.

Posted July 30, 2007

As a parent of a NMOE student I am very pleased. My son attended Kindergarten last year and it was his first year at a big school. His pre-school consisted of 10 students so his transition was not an easy one. However, by the end of the month it was like he had been there for years. From day one I felt comfortable with leaving my only baby there. He is starting the 1st grade this year and he is excited to see his friends as well as the teachers and Mrs. Davis. The staff are all friendly and professional and I think that this school is great for everyone.

Posted July 25, 2007

I believe that the administration is not organized. The principal needs a lot of work dealing with people and good communication skills. I would not recommend this school.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 5, 2007

I have children at this school and I have to say taht I am not pleased with the unorganized way that the school is run. I believe this school is run solely for th teachers and they don't think about what the parents go through to accomodate their many last minute changes. I was not pleased with the schoolyear in general. I believe the only one who even attempted to care was Mr. Mark.

Posted March 13, 2007

I am a former student of NMOE. I came to new mark of excellence in 10th grade and graduated. I would recommend sending your child to their elementary school but I don't think NMOE provides everything students in middle and highschool need. There are not enough extra-curricular activities and the school is very disorganized. On the other hand, The principal, Beverly Davis really loves her children although she tends to come off abrupt and rude at times. The school size is very small and that is somewhat negative for students in high school because there are 4 Seniors. Again, NMOE is not completely negative, it definitely has its positives!
—Submitted by a former student

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 6%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Christian

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2605 North Rolling Road