Bad
Good

My family will be new to this school, from out of state. When I made initial contact, the voice on the other end of the phone was short, disinterested, and not very helpful. I haven't yet called back, I already feel unwelcome.

We weren't happy there. Very cliquey and if you don't fit in, you don't fit in and are basically excuded from a lot of social events. Kids learn from their parents and our son had a miserable time as he got older when his old friends decided they didn't like him anymore. We have encountered rudeness (from parents and children), exclusion, fakeness (when they want $$$ for PTA, etc.). I tried to get involved and interacting with some of the parents made me feel like I was back in high school again. The worst part about it is, you can't just ignore all of this. The community is so intertwined you can't ignore when you aren't invited to parent hosted social gatherings or if your child isn't invited to a birthday party. We moved into another district and are much happier. If you are into cliques and are accepted you will probably be happy here. Otherwise be prepared to go thru high school again.

It is a decent school. No diversity. Parent involvement is over the top and not in a good way. Very cliquey. Wasn't a good fit for us but others love it. We moved and are happy with our current choice.

Our son just finished Kindergarten at SCES, and we could not have been more pleased with his introduction to public schooling. The teachers and staff at SCES are wonderful, and the varied programs that are available for after school enrichment were a pleasant surprise. Our family is looking forward to many more enjoyable years as part of the Shipley's family!

Shipley's Choice Elem is situated in one of the most amazing, community-based neighborhoods we've ever lived in. With a teacher ratio of 1:11, the closeness of student friendships spills over into this close knit neighborhood. This school is one of those rare gems that exist in a community that supports its neighbors and families.

We picked this neighborhood primarily for the school and I would have to say overall, it's very, very good. There is an enormous level of parent involvement and the students rank high in state test scores. The principle seems to have the children as his number one priority. That being said...I believe there is TOO much focus on test scores and they probably teach to the test. The school also severely lacks cultural diversity and some individuals are a bit cliquey and gossipy.

We were well pleased with the school. A great positive principal, dedicated teachers, and hardly any discipline problems are a wonderful combination. The only downside to this community is you may have to wait 4 years for a pool/ tennis bond if you own and if you rent, forget it. That is a long time for kids and EXTREMELY disappointing to them. Therefore, I do not recommend this school if you like to use the pool or tennis courts because it is not a community pool.

Fantastic teachers, great kids, wonderful principal and highly involved parents!

We moved into Shipley's for the school. The teaching staff is good and the principal is excellent. Unfortunately, a lot of the children who attend this school seem to lack basic manners and can be down right mean. Because of this, I would suggest a different school.

Last modified Shipley's Choice Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.