Millersville, MD
After care: No
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Welcome to Rockbridge Academy! If you are looking for a quality Christ-centered, classical education, you will find Rockbridge to be an exceptional value. As headmaster, permit me to give you a brief overview of the qualifications of the school, our faculty, and the achievements of our students: The school is accredited through the Association of Classical and Christian Schools (ACCS). All of our teachers are required to achieve ACCS certification within two years of hire, and are strongly encouraged to proceed on to Permanent and Master's level certification soon thereafter. Advanced degrees are held by 53% of our teachers. Our entire faculty undergoes a challenging teacher training regimen before entering the classroom, and their continuing professional development is encouraged and opportunities are provided. Our student/teacher ratio in the grammar school (K-6) is approximately 12:1, and in the upper school, that ratio is approximately 8:1. Some of our faculty members have written for educational journals, and several of our faculty and administrators have been repeat guest speakers at the ACCS National Teachers Conference. We are occasionally asked to conduct teacher training and consulting services for schools both nationally and internationally, and our curricular materials are sold to schools around the globe. Our annual teacher training seminar is attended by teachers from classical Christian schools around the world, as Rockbridge Academy is increasingly seen as a leader in the Classical Christian School movement. Our graduates have completed a challenging course of study, including: Four years of English/Literature, History, Math, Science, and Theology courses; three years of Latin (required in grades three through ten); two years of Rhetoric; two years of PE; and a variety of electives in the fields of fine and performing arts, athletics, and academics. The mean SAT summary for the class of 2012 is as follows: Reading, 695; Math, 663; Writing, 648. The class of 2012 (15 students) had one National Merit finalist and one National Achievement finalist. Over 50% of the AP exams taken by our students resulted in college credit, and over 86% of our students pass their AP exams. The class of 2011 was offered more than $1.4 million in academic scholarships (more than $14,000 per year, per student). Our graduates have been accepted into over 80 different colleges and universities, such as: MIT, St. John's College in Annapolis, Georgia Tech, University of Virginia, all three U.S. Military Academies, NYU, George Washington University, Hillsdale College, Messiah College, Washington and Lee University, and many more. Above and beyond that, our students are characterized as thoughtful, hard-working problem-solvers, forthright and winsome communicators, and ethical and moral men and women. These are the ideals which we promote in our student body, which no college prep profile can adequately reflect. If you'd like to come and see Rockbridge Academy for yourself, you are welcome at any time; our doors are always open to visitors. Please call the school office (410-923-1171) or visit our web site (www.rockbridge.org) to schedule a visit. I look forward to seeing you!
December 13, 2012

Posted December 08, 2014
I attended Rockbridge for twelve years. In the last few years I have come to fully appreciate the value of the education I received while I was there. First, Rockbridge taught me how to think critically. The upper school teachers help the students learn how to assess ideas from a biblical worldview. Second, Rockbridge taught me how to write well. When I arrived at college I discovered that not all students who graduate from high school are adequately prepared to express their thoughts well in writing or in speech. At Rockbridge, every junior and senior writes a 15-20 page thesis which is presented and defended in front of the faculty and an audience. After completing this rigorous process, I can honestly say that I was undaunted by my college writing assignments; this thesis process adequately prepared me for college in this way. Lastly, on a more personal note, at Rockbridge each student is genuinely loved and nurtured. All of my teachers made themselves available to me to meet outside of class if I ever needed help or had questions. I would highly recommend this school to any parents seeking an excellent Christ centered education in a warm and caring school community.

Posted December 05, 2014
Rockbridge, from Kindergarden to one's Senior year, is adamantly focused on pouring into their students and forming them to be strong, independent thinkers with a heart for others. Every class, every sports practice, every extracurricular activity is planned with the upmost wisdom and care in order to benefit the students. Furthermore, although Rockbridge pours into its students and fosters their growth, they also give their students the freedom to grow in their own abilities. Things like the Kindergardeners' Family Tree Presentation, The Grand Tour (a 17 day trip to Greece and Italy), and Senior Theses are all examples of ways Rockbridge gives its students the freedom to grow in their character, their academic prowess, and in their relationship with God. Finally, in addition to preparing me for life as a whole, Rockbridge has given me the ability to excel in college. I am at one of the top business schools in the country and am near the top of my class. I accredit my success here to Rockbridge's excellent education and formulation of my character. I have the upmost pride in saying I am a Rockbridge Academy Alumni.

Posted December 05, 2014
I graduated from Rockbridge Academy and had a great experience. The teachers, academics, and sports were fantastic! I wanted to address the November 11, 2014 post that says Rockbridge only prepares students for a small conservative Christian-type college and to anticipate struggling immeasurably at a reputable secular college. That certainly wasn't the experience of my graduating class. I attended the University of Maryland-College Park which is 62nd in the US News & World Report national rankings with 26,000+ undergraduates and certainly not conservative. However, I graduated with honors and found myself extremely well prepared for the academics and student life at UMD. Others in my class also graduated from Maryland as well as the University of Virginia and James Madison University. Bottom line is I thoroughly enjoyed both schools! Both high school & college are what you make of it. Stay positive, work hard, maintain a sense-of-humor, manage your time effectively, and make the most of your education. Give Rockbridge a try..you won't have any regrets!

Posted December 04, 2014
Rockbridge is a great school if you want your kids to get in to great colleges, have an ability to communicate in public, learn how to really solve complex problems and most of all do all of this whilst learning the beauty and strength of Christ-like humility. We are a very passionate Catholic family yet we sent our 6 kids to a very passionate Protestant school. Why? Well we tried other private schools in the area. We know what is out there from experience and not from brochures. Rockbridge not only has crazy high SAT scores, it teaches kids values and really helps form character. They teach humility. Highschoolers serving lower grades. A zero tolerance on arrogance or disrespect. We have very different children yet each one blossomed at the school. If you are in doubt about the school just swing by and observe. You will be impressed. God is alive at the school and it is therefore a joyful and peaceful place where kids learn to love learning.

Rockbridge Academy 4

Posted December 04, 2014
In my time at Rockbridge, I found it to be a very strong school academically with a very caring staff. Although the curriculum is challenging, the teachers spend a great deal of time working one on one with students to ensure that they have the best possible comprehension of the material.

Posted December 04, 2014
Looking at some previous reviews, I have to say, if you are not up for invigorating discussions every time you walk in the door, Rockbridge is not for you. Rockbridge is not a collection of "hardline conservative evangelical protestants" who "condemn and mock your beliefs", if they are contrary to their own. I attended Rockbridge for many years, a Catholic in a mainly Protestant school. But I never felt targeted or threatened by anyone. I just understood that sometimes, people speak about things they do not understand. I was always arguing with some person or another over anything and everything having to do with my faith. But, that really helped me grow stronger in my beliefs. Anyone who hates on Rockbridge Academy, is just ignorant of the fact, that not everyone will agree with you. But in order to solve this, you must openly discuss your problems. I did this for once, last year, and it was remarkable. The discussion that ensued was not condemning, or disdaining, but really informative and eye-opening. Go SCOTS!

Posted December 04, 2014
I am a graduate of Rockbridge and I am supremely grateful for my experiences there. Rockbridge is truly unique in that it offers students a world-class education combined with a small, close-knit community. It pains me to see that other graduates did not have a good experience at Rockbridge. I feel for them; and at the same time I believe that many of their problems were self-inflicted. If you keep an open mind and work hard, you will succeed at Rockbridge. You will also succeed after Rockbridge. There are people on this site saying that Rockbridge didn t prepare them for college; but at the same time, Rockbridge students are doing very well at some of the nation s top universities (USNA, MIT, etc.). Could it be that the naysayers didn t prepare themselves well for college? In the end, Rockbridge is going to be what you make of it. If you re too cool for school, Rockbridge is not the place for you. However, if you willing to apply yourself and invest in your education, Rockbridge will help you succeed in whatever you choose to do.

Posted December 03, 2014
I had the distinct privilege of attending Rockbridge from K-12 and graduating from this excellent institution. I definitely struggled academically at points at Rockbridge, but I would say that Rockbridge equipped me with irreplaceable skills that have benefitted me in my experience at college and in my career. Firstly, Rockbridge cultivated in me a deep love for the Lord. The teachers have a contagious and fervent love for Christ that is evident in all that they do. They showed me the unique way that we could see God's design in each of their subjects and also continuously pointed me to the call that He had on my life. Secondly, they held me to a high standard academically and morally. While this challenged at times, it allowed me to witness the genuine love that the school has for each of their students. My education at Rockbridge gave me a deep love for the Lord and for learning as well as teaching me to be a well-educated, well-spoken, and courteous individual. In college and my career, I have found that I am far better equipped to succeed than most. When I speak of my education, they are always impressed. I'm so thankful for Rockbridge and strongly believe in their mission.

Rockbridge Academy 2

Posted November 11, 2014
I graduated from Rockbridge Academy and I would highly caution any parent who is considering putting their children in school there. Rockbridge claims to teach the "Great Ideas" of western philosophy however, the slightest knowledge of philosophy would make it clear that these classes are taught poorly and with the sole purpose of indoctrinating students in a particular right wing conservative reformed evangelical philosophical niche. Any students who exhibit tendencies towards ideas that do not fall comfortably within this niche should expect to be singled out by teachers, even if they are supported in these views by their parents and pastors. No amount of tact or intelligence on the part of these students will deliver them from this ridiculous mistreatment. Rockbridge prepares its students for college at a small conservative Christian school. If, however, you chose to attend school at any sort of reputable secular university, you should expect to struggle immeasurably. Rockbridge Academy in no way prepared me for my college experience.

Posted August 24, 2014
I am a former student of Rockbridge Academy, and all I can really say is that depression and anxiety were all I received from that school. I didn't learn or think like the rest of my grade and that greatly ostracized me from them. I ended up just not going to school because crippling embarrassment and anxiety were all I felt. Yes, many teachers are great as I've seen in previous reviews. But there were many that showed obvious stress and had very little time to help mentor students. It was one of the best decisions to leave that school, I am happier and way more healthier than I was. I no longer dread waking up for school, because I enjoy learning. I enjoy it because my way of thinking is no longer looked down upon.

Rockbridge Academy