K-12|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Welcome to Rockbridge Academy! If you are looking for a quality Christ-centered, classical education, you will find Rockbridge to be an exceptional value. As headmaster, permit me to give you a brief overview of the qualifications of the school, our faculty, and the achievements of our students: The school is accredited through the Association of Classical and Christian Schools (ACCS). All of our teachers are required to achieve ACCS certification within two years of hire, and are strongly encouraged to proceed on to Permanent and Master's level certification soon thereafter. Advanced degrees are held by 53% of our teachers. Our entire faculty undergoes a challenging teacher training regimen before entering the classroom, and their continuing professional development is encouraged and opportunities are provided. Our student/teacher ratio in the grammar school (K-6) is approximately 12:1, and in the upper school, that ratio is approximately 8:1. Some of our faculty members have written for educational journals, and several of our faculty and administrators have been repeat guest speakers at the ACCS National Teachers Conference. We are occasionally asked to conduct teacher training and consulting services for schools both nationally and internationally, and our curricular materials are sold to schools around the globe. Our annual teacher training seminar is attended by teachers from classical Christian schools around the world, as Rockbridge Academy is increasingly seen as a leader in the Classical Christian School movement. Our graduates have completed a challenging course of study, including: Four years of English/Literature, History, Math, Science, and Theology courses; three years of Latin (required in grades three through ten); two years of Rhetoric; two years of PE; and a variety of electives in the fields of fine and performing arts, athletics, and academics. The mean SAT summary for the class of 2012 is as follows: Reading, 695; Math, 663; Writing, 648. The class of 2012 (15 students) had one National Merit finalist and one National Achievement finalist. Over 50% of the AP exams taken by our students resulted in college credit, and over 86% of our students pass their AP exams. The class of 2011 was offered more than $1.4 million in academic scholarships (more than $14,000 per year, per student). Our graduates have been accepted into over 80 different colleges and universities, such as: MIT, St. John's College in Annapolis, Georgia Tech, University of Virginia, all three U.S. Military Academies, NYU, George Washington University, Hillsdale College, Messiah College, Washington and Lee University, and many more. Above and beyond that, our students are characterized as thoughtful, hard-working problem-solvers, forthright and winsome communicators, and ethical and moral men and women. These are the ideals which we promote in our student body, which no college prep profile can adequately reflect. If you'd like to come and see Rockbridge Academy for yourself, you are welcome at any time; our doors are always open to visitors. Please call the school office (410-923-1171) or visit our web site (www.rockbridge.org) to schedule a visit. I look forward to seeing you!
December 13, 2012

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

This is a Christ-centered community of parents, teachers and staff who pour themselves out for the sake of their students. Rockbridge is committed to giving students an education without parallel, but even more in preparing young hearts to be a source of leadership, virtue and joy.

Rockbridge Academy is the only school where I have felt peace leaving my children. I know that they will be well cared for, safe, and challenged academically.

Do not attend here. Worst school ever. The academics and teachers are pathetic. Math and science classes especially are severely lacking. There is also a huge amount of favoritism, and the same kids get picked for everything. Would not recommend. Do not waste your money. -alumni

As the father of three sons who attended Rockbridge Academy, I can honestly give the school my highest endorsement. The education they received at Rockbridge was truly superior and is was certainly not narrow-minded, as some reviewers have indicated. The faculty and staff at Rockbridge exposed my sons to a world of great ideas--some that lined up with the Biblical worldview they learned at home and many ideas that did not. However, students at Rockbridge learn to evaluate all ideas in light of the scriptures of the Old and New Testaments. They learn how to engage in the great conversation in the context Western Civilization. Almost as important as the fine education my sons received at Rockbridge was the community they were a part of. With very few exceptions, their fellow classmates were lovers of learning and lovers of Christ. Rockbridge Academy is a place that welcomes and encourages students to learn. The teachers and staff encourage sincere faith in Christ because they, themselves, are possessors of it. In a world that seems to value many things above knowledge and wisdom, Rockbridge marches boldly against the culture.

As a former student, it's important to note that different students have fundamentally different experiences at Rockbridge. Judging the merits of a Rockbridge education, and I'd assume any education whatsoever, is not as straightforward as taking one's own experience of the school as paradigmatic of all experiences in general; let alone, the very "essence" of the institution. I know many students who love their Rockbridge education, attribute to it their spiritual and academic health/success and would send their own children back. I also know many students (many!) who believe they've succeeded academically and spiritiually IN SPITE OF their Rockbridge education, they wouldn't send their children back to Rockbridge. Rockbridge has a unique academic curriculum that anyone would benefit from having, but I (*just me) think the culture at Rockbridge is parasitic and the administration in denial. I know, and knew, students who struggled greatly at Rockbridge, and in large part because of Rockbridge. Sex, drugs, depression, suicidal thoughts, racism, sexism, it's all there. Though it's at every other school as well Rockbridge tends to shame and isolate and in the name of Christ and Truth.

I attended Rockbridge for twelve years. In the last few years I have come to fully appreciate the value of the education I received while I was there. First, Rockbridge taught me how to think critically. The upper school teachers help the students learn how to assess ideas from a biblical worldview. Second, Rockbridge taught me how to write well. When I arrived at college I discovered that not all students who graduate from high school are adequately prepared to express their thoughts well in writing or in speech. At Rockbridge, every junior and senior writes a 15-20 page thesis which is presented and defended in front of the faculty and an audience. After completing this rigorous process, I can honestly say that I was undaunted by my college writing assignments; this thesis process adequately prepared me for college in this way. Lastly, on a more personal note, at Rockbridge each student is genuinely loved and nurtured. All of my teachers made themselves available to me to meet outside of class if I ever needed help or had questions. I would highly recommend this school to any parents seeking an excellent Christ centered education in a warm and caring school community.

Rockbridge, from Kindergarden to one's Senior year, is adamantly focused on pouring into their students and forming them to be strong, independent thinkers with a heart for others. Every class, every sports practice, every extracurricular activity is planned with the upmost wisdom and care in order to benefit the students. Furthermore, although Rockbridge pours into its students and fosters their growth, they also give their students the freedom to grow in their own abilities. Things like the Kindergardeners' Family Tree Presentation, The Grand Tour (a 17 day trip to Greece and Italy), and Senior Theses are all examples of ways Rockbridge gives its students the freedom to grow in their character, their academic prowess, and in their relationship with God. Finally, in addition to preparing me for life as a whole, Rockbridge has given me the ability to excel in college. I am at one of the top business schools in the country and am near the top of my class. I accredit my success here to Rockbridge's excellent education and formulation of my character. I have the upmost pride in saying I am a Rockbridge Academy Alumni.

I graduated from Rockbridge Academy and had a great experience. The teachers, academics, and sports were fantastic! I wanted to address the November 11, 2014 post that says Rockbridge only prepares students for a small conservative Christian-type college and to anticipate struggling immeasurably at a reputable secular college. That certainly wasn't the experience of my graduating class. I attended the University of Maryland-College Park which is 62nd in the US News & World Report national rankings with 26,000+ undergraduates and certainly not conservative. However, I graduated with honors and found myself extremely well prepared for the academics and student life at UMD. Others in my class also graduated from Maryland as well as the University of Virginia and James Madison University. Bottom line is I thoroughly enjoyed both schools! Both high school & college are what you make of it. Stay positive, work hard, maintain a sense-of-humor, manage your time effectively, and make the most of your education. Give Rockbridge a try..you won't have any regrets!

Rockbridge is a great school if you want your kids to get in to great colleges, have an ability to communicate in public, learn how to really solve complex problems and most of all do all of this whilst learning the beauty and strength of Christ-like humility. We are a very passionate Catholic family yet we sent our 6 kids to a very passionate Protestant school. Why? Well we tried other private schools in the area. We know what is out there from experience and not from brochures. Rockbridge not only has crazy high SAT scores, it teaches kids values and really helps form character. They teach humility. Highschoolers serving lower grades. A zero tolerance on arrogance or disrespect. We have very different children yet each one blossomed at the school. If you are in doubt about the school just swing by and observe. You will be impressed. God is alive at the school and it is therefore a joyful and peaceful place where kids learn to love learning.

In my time at Rockbridge, I found it to be a very strong school academically with a very caring staff. Although the curriculum is challenging, the teachers spend a great deal of time working one on one with students to ensure that they have the best possible comprehension of the material.

Last modified Rockbridge Academy is a Private school that serves grades K-12