Millersville, MD
Before care: Yes

Millersville Elementary School 4

Posted November 13, 2012
My child has been at this school for a few years now and I have to admit that my wife and I are pleased. Each child is addressed for their strengths and weaknesses at the classroom level and all children are held to the same standards of discipline in terms of behavior; there are no favorites. Every school has its problems, but the small "charm" that this school has makes it a real draw. The only thing negative I can say about it is that prior to attending the school, we had heard about how amazing the parent involvement was. This may be true for kids individually, but the PTA struggles to do its job because of the lack of interest. They try extremely hard, but it is either the transient nature of the population (due to the military and careers) or a sign of the times; no one knows. Bottom line, this is a public school and you are not going to get the same hand holding as a $20,000/yr private school. If you are active in your child's education, Millersville Elementary is a goldmine opportunity for any child. If you expect the teachers to do most or all of the work in educating your child, I don't think you will be happy in most schools.

Posted July 21, 2012
Very sad to see the most current reviews of this school. I have 1 who completed 5 years here, another currently enrolled & a future MES Student. The positive points have all been addressed here. I can say that we are a low income family & completely disagree with some of the negative comments. Most families are accepting of an income, background, orientation, etc. yes these kids are high achieves but there are many special Ed & special needs students here. As with all schools you have to be active if you want your child to get what they need. There are plenty of options out there but schools don't "offer", you have to do your homework. I have had few problems & consider myself school spoiled. I love MES and would recommend this school to anyone!

Posted June 09, 2011
My child entered the school year totally siked to go to a new school, and eager to learn. Within 2 weeks, the attitude was a total 360 and he asked to go back to his old school. I stuck it out, which was a mistake. If your child is not within the 'norm' then expect to be disappointed. Kids are not pushed to their potential, or pushed at all. Parent involvement is not!! encouraged, and the environment is quite cold all around (principal, secretaries, and teachers) to parents. Even on Grandparents day, my mom came back and questioned the chilled environment. Communication leaves much to be desired unless you like the 'black box' approach. Not wanting to be totally negative, the classrooms have smart boards (our children won't know what an over-head projector is soon), and the PTA seems to do a good job getting $$ for things.

Posted December 06, 2010
I am a new family to the area and to the school, This is our first experience in public school as we always utilized private schools prior to this. I find the staff, from bus driver to principal, pleasant and easy to deal with. The teachers are excited about what they do and take pride in the programs. My child is happy and well adjusted, and is advancing well academicaly. I feel like we have found a real gem of a school.

Millersville Elementary School 2

Posted November 03, 2010
Unless you were born and bred here with ties to the community you do not belong in this school. If you are AD moving into the area this is not the school for your children. This website has guidelines for what it discourages for content. You cannot give 0 out of 5 stars or else it looks as though you did not vote. There are no words for the leadership of this school. 1/5 is generous.

Posted June 28, 2010
It's really sad when a school only cares about those who make above a certain income level. Those who fall under that mark are considered "bad parents." I was unfortunate enough to be one of those parents. The previous principal should have been fired for being verbally abusive towards me. The current principal was apathetic towards my son's needs when he attended. The parents who have money seem to have their little stranglehold on the school, which is a crying shame. In fact, it is disgusting. My son was bullied by the children of these parents and nothing was done, even when I sent an email to the principal about it. In schools such as this, you can worry about gangs of over spoiled parents, not gangs of "violent" children. I think I would prefer the gangs of "violent" children.

Posted April 27, 2010
Great school and great teachers that really care for the kids. Both my sons went here and it was a great experience.

Millersville Elementary School 4

Posted October 21, 2009

Posted September 02, 2009
I love this school!!! I have to say Ms. Brendel, the principal, knows ALL her students names... and their siblings as well. She is out every am with her much needed coffee wishing us all a good morning and greating each car as it arrives. The teachers are FABULOUS!! I've had one teacher even stop by my home to check on my child. Very many of them are energetic and excited about each and every child. My young daughter has been accepted as 'the class pet' since she tags along to parties in her older brothers class. The help with my sons reading difficulty has proven how great these teachers really are!! The Special Ed program is outstanding. This is a small town school, friendly and genuinely caring to all families regardless of ethnicity, or sexual preferences. I look forward to another child attending starting next year!!!

Posted August 19, 2009
We love this school, it got this small school feeling and teachers are great.

Millersville Elementary School
1601 Millersville Rd, Millersville, MD  21108
Last modified Millersville Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Millersville Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top