Old Mill Middle South

Public | 6-8

Posted Friday, August 15, 2014

I absolutely love OMMSS. They've recently been implementing STEM into almost everything. I am actually in the STEM program and going into 7th grade. So far the teachers are amazing! The vice principal is fairly scary, but he kind of has to be to do his job, so I understand and that's okay. All my friends love it too! I mean, it's still school so it kinda sucks, but for school, it's awesome! And I actually feel like I'm learning something!!!

Posted June 24, 2013

Omms is absolutly terrible there is only certain teachers who actually cared about me and my grades. They don't take care of problems unless someone threatens them. 2 out of 11 teacher actually care. The bullying there is bad. I got bullied every year i went there. I can't stand this school!!! If you care about your child do not send them to this school.

Posted March 13, 2013

OMMS is absolutely horrible. I was a student there all three years. I can say that it was neither academically challenging nor did it have a friendly environment. The administration is terrible and ineffectual. The teachers I had were either very great or very incompetent. While the latter frustrated me very much, I still do not believe that teachers should be accountable for everything, b/c in some cases the students are clearly just not willing to put any sort of effort into it. The principal was the worst part about it. She came to OMMS the same time that I did. It seemed like OMMS was a much better school before she came, and it just got worse as time passed. I blame a lot of the school's mediocrity on her. I can really only compare her to a fascist dictator. She implemented a variety of arbitrary rules, such as the elimination of all school bells, which allowed teachers to say that a student was late to class whenever. Apparently tardiness is subjective. All her "efforts" to better the school failed miserably. She simply doesn't understand what the school needs, and she attacks all of the wrong problems. I was glad to finally leave and go to OMHS.

Posted September 23, 2011

This has been a wonderful experience for my daughter who is currently a 7th grader at this school. Teachers and other staff members are very supportive of the student body and the classes seem to be very well taught. A few times my child has had problems with other students, the administration has been quick to act and resolve the problems. Several activities for the student body to participate in and I particularly love the STEM activities!

Posted June 10, 2011

This school let my child down! He was bullied all of 6th and 7th grade, halfway thru 8th grade he started acting out and did a few things he shouldn't have. He revealed in counseling that his teachers or the school didn't care about him so why should he respect or care about them? Is that the message this school WANTS to send? My son ended up in home teaching, but the bullies are still there. What's wrong with that picture. If your child is a good student you'll be fine, if your child has any special ed requirements - good luck - the school doesn't want to deal with it so they do everything in their power to get the child out, not fix the problem. I even think that some of the teachers provoked my child just so he would react and that would build them a better case against him. Not a fan at all!!!

Posted April 19, 2011

i love this school it has a little bit of drama but what school doesnt so if you have kids take them here

Posted June 27, 2010

This is a horrible school! Education should be fair for ALL students, not for a choice few! My two sons were constantly bullied at this school and nothing was done, except for my sons being suspended. The administration is EXTREMELY disrespectful to students and parents. The teachers could also do a more effective job, as well.

Posted April 10, 2010

Yay !!!! i love this school my daughter has become soooo much smarter!

Posted December 17, 2009

My son just started at Old Mill as a 6th grader for the 2009-2010 school year. While he has had a very hard time adjusting to 'middle school', there have been a couple teachers who have really gone above and beyond to encourage him and keep the lines of communication open to me. I can easily contact them by e-mail and ALWAYS get a very quick response back. This has done a lot to ease my concerns, and keep my son on task! THANK YOU Mrs. Hartman, Mr. Smith, and Mrs. Harrington!

Posted December 15, 2009

I have taught at several schools in three different counties (PG, Mont., & A.A.) throughout the Washington, DC Metro area. OMMS is by far my favorite. The administration is very supportive of students, parents, and staff alike. There is a strong feeling of family and pride. I feel blessed to have found a home here and hope to be here many years. We're not perfect, but I would gladly send my own children to this school.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 13, 2009

Old Mill is a pretty good school :) I mean we have our ups and downs but I think we do represent our country in a way that allows us to be proud and say We are the Patriots.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 13, 2009

Old Mill is a great school and offers alot of after school activities for the kids to try.

Posted October 13, 2009

Its my school and its the best!!!!!
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 3, 2007

my son went to OMMS two years ago and the only really good about that school was Mr. Obie Tucker! He is the greatest! The office staff was very good as well and very helpful. The media ladies were nice and sweet, too.

Posted September 19, 2006

I wish my daughter did not have to attend this school. The one good thing about this school is mr tucker, but he can not do everything. I never feel that my daughter is safe in or after school.

Posted December 3, 2005

The teachers here are relly good (most of them any way) at the begining the princable was nice she looked out for me. She cares about all studentts when they do good. However i feel they take things out of hand and some things made were horrable like in 8th grade we had to sit at tables they made us sit at for lunch. The kids i sat by would spit in my food! i tald the teachers, they did nothing. When i made one mistake i was in more trouble then kids that did worse. I hate this school it was the reason i moved with my dad!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 12, 2005

My son went from being a poor student to excelling in all of his subject areas. The teachers really show that they care about their students. They answered all of my concerns via email as often as I wrote. The special ed department is awesome!

Posted June 27, 2005

I went to this school off and on about four years ago, and yes I hated it, but I would have hated any school at that point in time. Anyway, as far as schools go, this one wasn't that bad. When I went there, pretty much all of the teachers cared about their students, which is more than you can say about some schools. It's also a pretty good facility, and there are decent amount of electives to choose from.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 21, 2004

Our OMMSS 7th grader dropped from an A-B student to a D-E (E means failing) student in less than a year. While there are some great teachers there (thanks Mr. Rubin and Mr. Whewell), they have so much to overcome with enormous class sizes and 3-in-1 classrooms (some walls don't reach the ceiling; try to be heard leading a class over 3 classes of teens!). We are scrambling to find a private school in the area that will accept a kid that almost failed 7th grade, although his grades prior were very good. Our realtor warned us about buying here because of the schools, and we didn't listen. Be warned!

Posted June 7, 2004

What can I say about this school? It's one of the main reasons we're moving to Frederick County. This is one of those schools you don't want your kids to go to. Mr. Tucker - you're awesome! too bad you're one of a small handful of great people at this school.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

195 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

195 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

203 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

203 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 67% in 2013.

237 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 81% in 2013.

238 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 71% in 2013.

235 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 30%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Robotics/Technology specialist(s)

• Orchestra
Performing arts
  • Dance
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

620 Patriot Ln