Mitchellville, MD

Posted May 26, 2015
Woodmore features a core of experienced teachers who have worked together for nearly a decade, supported by a strong administration. Although class sizes have come up in recent years, the educators are deeply committed, and a well-run intervention system provides an effective safety net, so that those students who require small-group attention can receive that help from specialists. Classes are well-managed, and the school is in a tranquil, green environment, bordered by a golf course and a gated community. This is a safe and happy place to send your child, where he or she will receive a quality education.

Posted November 12, 2014
I love this school, I currently have 2 boys and one on the way into Woodmore the staff is Awesome! There is a lot of parent involvement which allows the school to be successful and the kids know they have both teacher and parent support.

Posted April 09, 2014
My son has been at Woodmore for about a year now and he loves it. Principle Walker is great and his Kindergarten teacher is excellent. Test scores have increased every year over the last 5 years. This is a great school that has great people inside it.

Posted April 01, 2014
This is our first year at Woodmore. I love this school and the staff. The staff is professional, fair and friendly. Although they are lacking some of the bells and whistles of a newer school, it functions great.

Posted January 10, 2013
We have been at Woodmore a little over 3 years after transferring from a Charter school. We love the teachers and the principal is excellent. She knows the students and the teachers work with the students.

Posted March 19, 2012
Second year at Woodmore and I'm very pleased! Principal Walker is very approachable and hands on. I encourage more parents to volunteer and help the teachers and staff wherever needed.

Woodmore Elementary School 3

Posted June 06, 2011
The Great Schools rating is based strictly on the pass rate for tests compared to other students in the state. A "5" rating means that the pass rate at Woodmore is equal to the average pass rate in the state. If a school had a Great Schools rating of 2, then it means that their pass rate is in the 2nd lowest decile (i.e. if the total range of pass rates is broken into 10 equal groups, a 2 would mean that 80% of schools in that state had an overall pass rate that was higher). This can be deceiving b/c a school with a Great Schools rating of 9 may have a pass rate of 99% (for the whole school), while a school with a GS rating of 3 may have a pass rate of 91% (these are just examples). In both cases, the school is teaching so that more than 90% of kids pass, but the school with the "9" rating looks A LOT better than the school with the 3 rating. The pass rates mainly reflect the economic diversity of the students and a few students failing in each grade can dramatically change the pass rate from 97% to 91% --- which can change the Great Schools rating greatly.

Posted April 08, 2011
I am a new parent that transferred my child from a private school and I'm extremely pleased with both the administration and teachers. I m impressed with the efficiency, professionalism, positive school climate, and commitment to education.

Posted March 23, 2011
I am a prospective parent and based on the test scores and what I have actually observed from my tour and discussions with parents and the Principal, I believe a score of 5 is too low and very misleading. I also think that the rating may cause prospective parents not to consider enrolling their children in what I believe is a good/solid school. I contacted the principal at Woodmore Elementary school (Jill Walker) requesting a tour/information. Imagine our surprise when she exchanged several e-mails with me and personally gave us a tour! She was very forthright and candid about challenges that her school and other public schools are facing in this very tight budget climate. I was very impressed with her knowledge, demeanor and education philosophy. The school environment was orderly and clean and most importantly teachers and children were engaged. As a result, we plan to enroll our 4 year old daugher there next year. I plan to encourage parents at Woodmore to post their reviews of the school in order to provide a balanced and holistic picture of this school as there appears to be a direct relationship between the number of positive ratings and the greatschool rating.

Posted February 09, 2011
I was hesitant about sending my son to public school mostly because of the large class sizes I've heard about. He went to Kindergarten at a private institution (with only 10 students) to Woodmore with a class of about 30! I have been very pleased thus far with the teachers at Woodmore and the fact that my son continues to be challenged to excel. Principal Walker is the best! She appears to be involved at every level and wants nothing but the best for the kids here. In the light of upcoming budget cuts, the fears are that Woodmore will be losing some positions that have allowed Woodmore students to grow and excel and it appears imminent that class sizes are going to grow. This concerns me greatly so I will be joining other parents in a letter-writing campaign to our public officials to minimize cuts to education.

Woodmore Elementary School
12500 Woodmore Rd, Mitchellville, MD  20721
Last modified Woodmore Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Woodmore Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top