Montgomery Village, MD
Students enrolled: 1,458

Watkins Mill High School 4

Posted September 22, 2014
I recently attended my 2nd Back to School night at WM. My daughter is in the (pre) IB/AP program and plays varsity soccer. I found it interesting that the (pre) IB/AP classes had more parents in attendance than the "on level" classrooms. WM is very enthusiastic about their students becoming their BEST, as evident by how hard they push and encourage them. The guidance counselor is constantly requesting my daughter to challenge herself more. There is no "free ride" as ALL of the students will find when they leave WM, in whatever endeavors they pursue. I feel WM is attempting to ready them for their entrance into the adult world...the principal, the teachers, the counselors and even the coaches. WM is diverse and with it comes a diverse set of challenges. The administrative team can only do their part....it is up to the students to uphold their end of the arrangement. I could put my daughter in a private school, but I love the real world microcosm that WM represents.

Posted May 07, 2014
Horrible. From the staff, to the principal, simply horrible. What appears to go on in this school is too much of nothing. There is nothing to be proud of, no one person that I can think of that stands out from another. Simply in one word - HORRIBLE

Posted February 22, 2014
Amazing school with great classes, people, staff, and activities. I wake up every day and I'm happy to say that I go to Watkins Mill

Posted January 08, 2014
I am a sophomore at Watkins Mill and unsatisfied with the Individualized Education Plan. First of all, the students shouldn't ask to use their accommodations the special ed department should make sure the IEP is used properly as a result to Special Needs students should be more important than general education. This school does not have an Autistic program . I am fighting to withdrawal from this school into an Autistic school. I refuse to come to this school because of the violence and ignorance. For me, personally this school should be deemed as the worst school in the county. Most of the special ed students are trying to leave this school. If the teachers could see how they treat the students when they "teach". The teachers do not acknowledge their students when they need teacher assistance or one-on-one participation. The teachers have sidebar conversations and tell us students to learn while we have conversations of our own. But they don't teach anything all they do is lecture us about being proper students when they should be good students themselves and stop complaining.

Posted February 01, 2013
I have been in this school for 3 years. At first I felt satisfied but now I dislike getting up to come here. Counselors don't help and don't even pay attention to what the student wants. I ask for SSL hours and they don't give any info. I asked a teacher if I could be his AID and he said no and just gave me an ugly attitude. Every time I come here I don't feel the encouragement from teachers to learn.. The academic programs are good but if a student don't feel good about themselves in their school then it's a burden to have to get up everyday to go somewhere where you feel left out. that is just my experience...

Posted April 01, 2011
Watkins Mill High School is on the upside. The principal, new for the 2010-2011 school year is a breath of fresh air. It's telling when the students are happy to see him at after school events. The sports teams are rallying this year with some exciting finishes. The offering of an IB program and AP classes is also a draw. Very active booster club and PTSA. High marks for parent involvement.

Watkins Mill High School 0

Posted September 21, 2010
Initially thought this is an average school. Later changed my opinion on my continued interaction with teachers and school. There is a lot of improvement over by years. Teacher student ratio is good. Excellent teaching resources and facilities this school is having should build reputation for Engineering, Science and Maths subjects. Experienced and friendly teachers are real assets. This is a hidden gem where hard working students can reap benefits out of personal attention and utilization of unexploited potential.

Posted August 20, 2010
Love this school it has many activites and a very high level with great teacher i love this school i think this school is the best high school of mOntgomery County

Posted March 24, 2010
My son is studying in this School. This School is average when compared to best Schools around. Maths and English are not good. Some Math teachers and some English Teachers are good and can be rated as 10. But some are poor and can be rated as 5. I do not know how the management could not see this.

Posted February 02, 2010
I graduated last year. The best 4 years of my life (so far) were spent here. The teachers are phenominal, courses offered are rigourous and exciting, there is a tremendous feeling of spirit and it is a great place for a student to be more than a student. Its size and diversity discourage the formining of Cliques and there are few problems between students. If you (parents) are afraid to send your children here it is because you don't have faith in their ability to make the right decisions, every school has its problems and I can guarantee you that the Mill has alot less than most others. This school offers unique opportunities in a truly unique enviroment.

Watkins Mill High School
10301 Apple Ridge Rd, Montgomery Village, MD  20886
Last modified Watkins Mill High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Watkins Mill High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top