Montgomery Village, MD

Stedwick Elementary School 1

Posted April 20, 2015
We are very disappointed with this school. Our child has gone here since Kindergarten and while there are teachers who genuinely care, the school administration is apathetic to parents' concerns for the education of their children. We have to home school our child in addition to attending school here because it's simply not enough. Any issues brought up are met with disinterest or blaming of the parents. There is no attempt to help the students reach their highest potential. Instead, the standards are lowered so all students might achieve the same level of mediocrity. We plan on moving out of this school district as the middle school and high school are no better.

Posted March 15, 2015
- Parent Teacher Conferences are not "one on one" with the teacher. The student has to be present to "lead" the conference and the conferences are scheduled with four or so families meeting the teacher at the same time. You have "no" chance to communicate any issues involving your child or ask any questions about your child in a private setting. - Homework is not sent home. Instead, parents are expected to visit the school website to view the quarterly "learning objectives" and then to develop their own homework for their child. I understand the theory behind this, but in real life with both parents working and everything else that is going on . . . I actually wish they would send home the appropriate kind and amount of homework and then expect me to make sure it gets done . . . - There is a great range of ability in the teachers. So much time is spent trying to fix the achievement gap that students that are not behavior or "gap" problems are left to their own devices. Basically, if your child is struggling but not failing, you will be on your own and expected to deal with it at home.
3 people found this helpful

Posted February 27, 2015
I love Stedwick! My daughter is in 2nd grade there and has had three wonderful teachers so far. The music and art programs are excellent and I especially appreciate the Project Based Learning approach they have. She is always excited to tell me where she is in her project and how it relates to the different subjects she is studying. I also like all of extra activities that the PTA provides like Bedtime stories and the Spring Fling. I also appreciate the fact that the PTA provides all of the back to school supplies. While I can afford to buy them (and do donate to the school) I am aware that many in my community cannot and that is much appreciated for them. Overall, this is an excellent school!

Posted April 11, 2014
My son loves attending this school... he is sad that he will be leaving his teacher and friends as he is off to middle school as of September

Posted March 12, 2014
This school is incredibly progressive with amazing teachers. I love the new homework policy (I know that not all parents have the time to read with their children) but thank you for creating a program that actually works and is meaningful! As parents we want homework to help our children grow and become excellent readers- thank you for making this happen! We see the results with both our children!

Posted March 12, 2014
I have 3 children, 2 of which attend MCPS and the oldest in private school. My youngest goes to Stedwick, which is a hidden gem of a school. I always wanted my children to go to a school where there is rigor and they are made to think, which is why I enrolled my oldest in private school (Stedwick was not an option where we lived before). However, what my youngest does at Stedwick is so much more advanced than what my other children did at the same age. My little one can actually analyze and explain things that my other two children were never taught to do. I give credit to the principal and teachers at Stedwick who use research to plan each unit (just ask them about what they are teaching) and who push all children to work hard. I sometimes tell the teachers at other schools about the program at Stedwick so that they maybe they can do the same for my other children. I think all children need to work hard but also be excited to do their work. My child loves even doing his homework at Stedwick- and its a lot of reading! If you are sick of low-level worksheets then enroll your child here. Thank you Stedwick!

Posted October 06, 2013
Stedwick ES is a great school for family and community based learning. Centered in a nice suburban DC metro neighborhood, the school offers a host of learning opportunities for children of very diverse backgrounds, cultures, races, etc. The principal and many of the school's teachers are very good at educating and maintaining a positive learning environment. Our school also has a nice PTA that allows parents to lead afterschool programs and other activities to enhance the school life for all the kids. I am so proud to be a parent at Stedwick Knoll ES and expect this next year will be even better.

Posted August 04, 2013
Stedwick was a disappointment.....my son attended K-5 there. While there were some teachers that I thought did well, overall it was a disappointing experience. A lot of mediocre teachers, and a few that should have been fired years ago. Only 1/3 of the kids in fifth grade had mastered the multiplication tables at the beginning of fifth grade (that's a THIRD grade topic...) Not impressed by the principal... other MCPS elementary school teachers do a lot more to raise kids' performance - I know - asked many of my colleagues with kids in same grade. Discipline lacking at this school - shocked at number of fights. Even teachers are frustrated by this - it stems from the top.... Son's 5th grade teacher seemed to hint that there was a "no homework" policy in effect... and indicated that is why SHE didn't give any homework. But I do know kid in other grades at Stedwick got homework. It most certainly is NOT a policy at other MCPS elementary schools. Not clear on what the principal's rationale is, If you care about your kids, don't let them attend school here. We moved.. and I am stunned at the huge difference in leadership at new schools compared w/ stedwick.
2 people found this helpful

Posted June 01, 2013
Stedwick in Gaithersburg MD Was a big disappointment. We took our child out of private school where he was doing A+ work and brought him to Stedwick because we were told that our county had the best public schools. From his first year he struggled. There was no structure and the teachers weren't allowed to stay on one subject and make sure the kids got it for more than a half a day because their main focus was test scores and not about teaching the kids. If a kid needed help they would not revisit the subject because their only goal was to get these kids ready for the yearly test. We finally took our son out and put him back in private school and now he is on the honor roll and has teachers focused on his learning growth and not just test scores like Stedwick.
2 people found this helpful

Stedwick Elementary School 1

Posted May 31, 2013
Very disappointed in this school. Yes, there are some very dedicated staff and teachers but something is missing. Even in some of the early years (first and second grade) there is too much bullying, too much divisiveness. On the playground and in the cafeteria the staff is limited and don't control what is going on with the students. Seriously considering pulling our student from this school. When the principal was presented with some concerns they were dismissed as basically "our problem". Expect much more from Montgomery County.

Stedwick Elementary School
10631 Stedwick Rd, Montgomery Village, MD  20886
Last modified Stedwick Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Stedwick Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top