Newburg, MD
Before care: Yes

Posted June 09, 2013
We have found the teachers to be very good at this school. They appear to genuinely care and have done an excellent job teaching my child. The administrative staff does seem to be lacking however. They mostly just seem out to lunch or something. I see some reviews about how the school encourages parents' involvement. If by encouraging you mean they give you lots of paper to cut and make copies of, then yes, you would be right. I wanted to be able to help in the classroom with things that are difficult for just one teacher to accomplish, but was told during the volunteer orientation that volunteers could go check the boxes to see what the teacher needs done. Volunteers were not allowed in the classrooms. I have also been concerned with the lack of safety precautions the school has taken. Primarily, volunteers wandering the halls are not given background checks. It would also be nice to see staff in the hallways (especially by the front door) when kids are arriving at school. Anyone could waltz in there and go wherever they please with no accountability. I've seen it happen.

Dr. Thomas L. Higdon Elementary School 5

Posted October 10, 2011
I love this school!!!! We could not be more happier with this school. They still celebrate all the holidays and are very hands on! They love parent involvement. I think it is the closest we can get to a private school. The teachers are very nice and helpful as well as the rest of the staff and all the kids are happy when you go into the school like they enjoy being there. I do not agree with the score of a 6 for this school. I have done research on this school and others in the county and Higdon has the highest testing scores and most certified teachers who love what they do.

Dr. Thomas L. Higdon Elementary School 4

Posted June 24, 2010
No school is perfect. Overall, I have been very happy with Higdon Elementary. The teachers are excellent. The P.E. teacher is every child's favorite and I am paticularly fond of the librarian who obviously loves children and her job. Curriculum is well rounded, although indoctrination into a liberal viewpoint is over the top, in my opinion. But I think this is common in most public schools. There are plenty of clubs and extra-curricular activities for every interest, including a very effective chess club. Parental involvement is highly encouraged. On the one hand, this provides transparency into the schools inner workings. The downside of this is that childrens academic rewards are based on the parents level of volunteerism, as opposed the childs actual performance level. It's all in who you know. Such a shame, as promising children are purposefully overlooked.

Posted March 18, 2010
I would like to improve to have more interesting books in the library for kids to be intereste. Also have more activities and encourage kids to read more and more. also to reward them for if they read a lot of books or atleast read.

Posted September 03, 2009
My daughter is a student at Dr. Higdon. We have been here for two years now, and we WILL be moving and putting her in a different school. Her 'primary' teachers are great. Some of the other staff is not! One teacher in particular is like a drill sergant. The principal boasts all the time about this is the best elementary school in the county (and at times state). And that everyone wants their kids to come here or to work there. Just because you say something out load, does not make it so! I've met alot of parents of students who are either current or former students and as of yet, I have not met one person who is happy with this school! At times, it seems like they are more interested in the bottom line and 'appearnces' than anything else.

Dr. Thomas L. Higdon Elementary School 1

Posted September 09, 2008
I am not impressed by the staff at this school. Hopefully one day there's a change over and things will improve. The curriculum is substandard. I am very involved in my children's education both at school and at home; however, I found this school to be lacking. And it definitely shows in how this school rates compared with other primary schools in Charles County.

Dr. Thomas L. Higdon Elementary School 0

Posted August 20, 2008
My daughter's math and reading skills have really accelerated since going to this school 2 years ago. The teachers don't just teach the kids what is required for the present grade, the actually prepare them to excel in the next grade the following year! The Principle and staff are wonderful! Parents should be involved and show an interest in their child's education. You will then appreciate the talent and dedication of the staff at Higdon Elementary.

Dr. Thomas L. Higdon Elementary School 1

Posted May 29, 2008
The principal and teacher for my kindergartener were very unsupportive of parent involvement. Also, if you accidently drive in the wrong way (the sign was extremely small--they've since replaced it) during bus hours, the Principal will remember you and seems to hold a personal vendetta against the person. I'm very surprised at the unprofessionalism amongst the leadership at this school. I disenrolled my child and took him to a different school (which has been very supportive of parent involvement!!!).

Dr. Thomas L. Higdon Elementary School 5

Posted May 14, 2007
This school is wonderfull. I feel that that they welcome any and all parent involvment. The pricipal and teachers all work together to provide a continuity in the school. My son has excelled in his education at this school and I am sure he will continue to do so. The school is very willing to work with the parents to make sure that the child is recieving the best care. I have had the opportunity to research other schools in the area and choose to stay in the area that would allow my children to attend this school.

Dr. Thomas L. Higdon Elementary School 2

Posted May 10, 2007

Dr. Thomas L. Higdon Elementary School
12872 Rock Point Rd, Newburg, MD  20664
Last modified Dr. Thomas L. Higdon Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dr. Thomas L. Higdon Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top