PK-6|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

After being part of a private school that touted individual learning yet preached conformity (along with dismantling gifted programs), we started our search. Yes, our child is gifted but our priority quickly became her happiness as tears and stress became part of her daily routine. The prior school sent us to numerous psychologists for testing to confirm her accelerated abilities but moreover, professionals confirmed she was unchallenged and not part of an appropriate peer group, leading to anxiety. Time and time again we heard, put your child in the appropriate environment and the stress will dissipate. But where was this place??? Feynman! It has been the solution to our issues as they clearly understand the importance of fostering and nurturing a child's individual's needs and interests. Most importantly, the respect they show each child motivates and gives a child self-esteem. And because they allow cross pollination of age groups, my child is able be with an appropriate peer group, For the first time in her school career, she loves school! And after being at a school where tuition went to the aesthetics and superficial, I can attest that Feynman supports their staff with professional development. A fantastic place! It is still in growth mode, but if your primary focus is your individual gifted child's learning and not just the rote, then Feynman is it. Finally, we can exhale after years of struggle.

Handles bullying effectively: Agree

We have never experienced bullying in my daughter's class, so I can't really speak to this question personally. The school does have a strong anti-bullying policy, however, and none of the other parents have reported any issues to my knowledge.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

The school is geared towards highly gifted children. The classes are small (11-16 children per class), and each child has a fairly individualized learning plan. They work in very small groups (2-3 kids), and the teachers are constantly assessing them. The groupings change every 2-4 months, which ensures that each child is learning material appropriate to his/her current level. It also allows each child to work with all the other students, which improves their social development.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

The Golds started this school after looking into educational opportunities for their daughters, both of whom are students in the school. They are therefore personally and professionally invested in the school's success. They know each family by name, and they are always available for any questions or concerns from the parents. They invest heavily in their staff's professional development, sending each teacher to an array of MEGS conferences, courses, and workshops.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

There is no homework, but it doesn't seem to be necessary. The kids are able to advance without being loaded down with the extra work. This leaves evenings free for extracurriculars (piano, ballet), free play, and family reading time.

This is my daughter's first year at the Feynman School; she is a first grader. My husband and I have been so impressed with the school that we will register our other two children (pre-K and preschool) for the upcoming year. We love their approach to education: highly individualized, accelerated, well-balanced, designed to foster a love of learning, and geared towards independent problem-solving. My daughter used to request extra math problems at home because she was bored at school, so we spent evenings supplementing her schoolwork. Now, we can do other family activities instead - especially because there is no homework. My daughter's class covers a range of topics, from earth science (tectonic plates, continental drift, classification and formation of landforms) to social studies (dynamics of food production and the impact of industrialization on the food supply) to reading comprehension (various genres) and mathematics (fractions, decimals, multiplication and division). Although the school is named for a physicist, it is not exclusively focused on math/science, or on academics. There is a strong physical education program and an art program that incorporates weekly music, drama, and art classes. There is also plenty of time for recess and free play, and almost no time spent at computer screens, other than a weekly programming/computer science class. The faculty is experienced with many of the emotional issues that are common in gifted children, including an overdeveloped sense of social justice and self-defeating perfectionism. I highly recommend this school to any parent who is interested in a highly accelerated educational program with a range of incredible opportunities.

A great school for those parents and kids that have intellectual and scientific drive. Our both kids have excelled by attending Feynman. Wanted to congratulate the Gold family and all the teachers for doing a stellar job keeping this school a intellectual and still fun oasis. The school will be moving location soon.

Absolutely fabulous dedication to a very specific mission. If you have a student who is not being served well where they are this is a school worth checking out.

*** After reading the negative review below I simply had to chime in. It is true that Feynman School is a startup that is renting space from a church, but it is an amazing school that puts the needs of these bright and curious children first. They do better than having formal classes for Art and Technology. They regularly bring in local experts and spur on the children's curiosity in everything as they study these topics in conjunction with their daily work. In the time that my children have been at this school I have seen a doctor come in to help with the anatomy lessons and art history experts come in to teach art. They have had field trips, music lessons, and drama taught by staff from the Imagination Stage. These are just a few of many opportunities my children have had. They also participate in chess class at the school as well as a basketball program and a robotics program. At any school you may find a disgruntled parent for any number of reasons, but if you are considering Feynman School for your exceptional student please schedule a visit and ask to speak to the rest of the Feynman parents, we would be glad to tell you PLENTY of "success stories"!

This was my daughter's first year at this school and I was blown away by her growth, both academically and socially. The depth at which they teach these kids on various subject matters is truly impressive. What I can appreciate, as a parent, is that if my child is more advanced on a specific skill, they will allow her to jump forward and adjust the subject matter to her skill level instead of making her go through the same exercise as the other kids because it's part of the curriculum. The cost of the school gave me pause initially (as did all the private schools we visited since I grew up in the public school system) but the fact that I see motivated and eager teachers, committed leadership with a specific vision geared towards challenging young minds, and the steady improvement of critical thinking in my child, it makes it all worth it and then some. My hope is that my daughter's love of learning, that is abundantly cultivated here at Feynman, persists throughout her lifetime.

Last modified Feynman School is a Private school that serves grades PK-6