K-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Posted January 05, 2016
The experiences there have been phenominal. I seriously would not want to be anywhere else!

Posted October 30, 2015
These reviews do a great job of outlining the educational value of Tome, and that is extremely important. But, as a 2015 graduate, I'd like to inform prospective students and parents more about the family that Tome gives you. Of course, education is important and the priority to all other reasons for choosing a school. And the education is great! But, let me tell you about the family that I have acquired in my almost 12 years at the school. My senior class was 33 strong and if you walked up to me, I could go on in detail for hours about memories and inside jokes that we all shared. Also, especially in my last 2 years at Tome, I became extremely close with some underclassmen. Still, to this day, while I wait to leave for basic training, I make time to come to the school to visit them at least 2 times per week. I'm passionate about everything about this school and eternally grateful for the education and family it has allowed in my life. There is no greater feeling than walking into a building where the staff not only embraces your weekly visits, but expects them, welcoming you with "Oh look who it is! How are you doing?" Or the huge group hugs and "see you friday!" Or how every teacher who ever stepped foot into my classroom still remembers my name, my parents names, and some silly thing I said when I was 8. Tome is Home. And it always will be.

The Tome School 3

Posted July 25, 2015
Great classical foundation will be had in Lower School. Students are well mannered. Middle School and Upper School students are presented a rigorous work load in a rather pedestrian, robotic way. Thinking and application of knowledge is less of a focus. Students do not have adequate exposure to technology or library resources. Though the school is small, the faculty may not really know the learning style or what works best for your student. There is a lack of proper guidance counselors. Staff wear multiple hats and emails go unanswered often. Curriculum is challenging but very limited. Cecil county has limited choices for schools. This is all of a function of limited resources probably. A good private school in Delaware might be a better value for Middle and Upper School.

The Tome School
Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted July 25, 2015
Some of the teachers are distracted by the side jobs. The high school science teacher works at a community college. She takes calls from those students and grades their work whilst your student is having a less interactive classroom experience. Others are fatigued, irritable and unprepared from working at Walmart overnight

Posted April 23, 2014
This school makes college seem like a joke. College classes are much easier due to going to this school. I am graduating college with a 3.9 gpa this year, and it is all because of Tome. I was also apart of two sports and two clubs. There is always something to do at Tome, and the biggest part is it really does create a family. Five years later and we are still all hanging out with the people we graduated with.

Posted February 13, 2014
I am a freshman and I love it! Strong, classical education, non-religious, great teachers, and all taught at a college prep level. It is a college prep school, after all!

The Tome School 1

Posted September 04, 2013
I strongly dislike Tome. I would never recommend it. I am a student. Next year I plan on transferring and I can't wait! The teachers expect respect from the students, but most do not return the respect to the teachers. I did like lower school, but middle school has been the worst experience of my life. The teachers are unfair. I really miss my old principal...she was the best. I would only recommend this school if you wanted to ruin your child's childhood.

Posted June 27, 2012
The Tome School is a small K-12 private school located on a 100 acre campus in North East, MD. Students receive individual attention from their teachers as class sizes are kept small (less than 30 students per class). The small class size and dedication of the faculty and staff foster a warm, caring environment for students that is extremely conducive to learning. I have attended Tome as a student, worked at the school, and have a mother who is the former head of this school, so I have gotten to see Tome from various perspectives. Former students have gone on to Harvard, Cornell and other Ivy League universities. In order to arrange a visit, call the main office at 410-287-2050.

Posted May 04, 2012
I have two daughters at Tome and I could not be more happy with their education. I have found the faculty to be nothing but caring and supporting during our 8 years there. It is nice knowing they are receiving a great education by people who sincerely care about them. Keep up the great work!

The Tome School 1

Posted February 12, 2012
School offers no support to children, much of the staff seems unwilling to help students who are having issues.

The Tome School