Posted September 11, 2013
We just moved to Stone Mill a few weeks ago. It seems my son and daughter like it very much so far. The staffs also seem quite friendly. We were at Lakewood before. No doubt, Lakewood is also a great school. But some of the staffs there were spoiled. They only are nice to you when you want make a donation.

Posted January 31, 2013
I can't believe anybody would have a problem with stone mill ES...This is an excellent school with the best principal and the best staff....My kids have been here for the past few years and have had the best learning experience...The parents are involved as much as they want to be....overall its a wonderful environment for your child..

Stone Mill Elementary School 1

Posted January 24, 2013
I don't find this school very friendly for kids with special needs. They have highest pep prog. with paraeducators and support staff but never utilize them for special needs kids. Teachers suggest a kid for IEP but turned down. Teachers work with kids and know what a kid needs unlike someone who sees a kid a few minutes a day. I tried to get my daughter an IEP for three years but was told no because her grades were ok. Grades are only one part so when she got into third grade the work was harder and they push the kids more so her disability without supports caused problems. I wouldn't recommend this school nor would I trust what is said your kid does/doesn't need. Do private testing, know IDEA laws and push for the services your child needs and should receive. As professionals that we trust our kids to they should be screening kids as early as possible to see if they need help and give those kids help not ignore it year after year. Really sad that I moved to this area so my kids could go to this school only to find that all the smiles and welcoming gestures were nothing more than fiction. As other parents have stated, buyer beware......

Stone Mill Elementary School 2

Posted December 01, 2012
The second week of my son attending this school channel two was tnterviewing parents about money the school has spent and what they spent it on..So I started thinking his first grade work and rules are like he is in kindergarten.He tells me they sing and dance.My reaction is huh.He did this in kindergarten at his old school.His first grade class and work at his old school is much more advanced.So he is getting transferred to mourningside elementary..they have great.. no outstanding test scores.Now if you love stone mill then you love it. I tend to think other wise.His teacher is sweet but the work is not enough.

Posted June 12, 2012
We have had a great special education experience at the school! As a working parent, I have not had too much time to be involved with the school, but the principal and staff have taken complete care of my children and made certain that their regular and special education needs have been met! It's a wonderful school!

Stone Mill Elementary School 2

Posted June 09, 2012
I have volunteered at this school for 8 years. I know a lot of the teachers and students. I agree with the review about your child needing an IEP and services. After asking for over four years for an IEP, my son got one. (By law a child does not have to be failing to receive services wish I would have known this). This year was his first year and it has been horrible to say the least. We couldn't get the correct services he needed and the school refused to work with us even though they have 3 para-educators on staff. A lot of horrible things happened and I wish I would have recorded every meeting and made sure I wrote everything down as well as followed up with emails. Other parents in the neighborhood have heard what I have gone through and told me stories which are eerily similar. Know your rights in regards to IEP's and IDEA. Knowledge is power and you have to be your child's advocate. Montgomery County is not helpful with special ed kids. You are better off at Howard county, DC or Fairfax. I never in a million years would have thought my son and I would have been treated this way after giving so much of my time and money to this school. Don't believe the smiles.

Stone Mill Elementary School 1

Posted June 05, 2012
This used to be a great school until I found out the dirty little secret. If your child needs an IEP or services, good luck getting them. If you have any meetings I suggest you record them and any discussion with any staff member follow up with an email. If you do manage to have an IEP meeting, I can't urge parents enough to take an advocate with you. I guarantee you it will be at least 10 of them vs you with them telling you what your child needs (which is very little if you don't fight for it). You would think a school would realize to be successful they need to work with the parents not against them. This is a case of buyer beware and just remember that pretty sheep might just be a wolf in sheeps clothing. Little miss mary sunshine only exists in fairy tales.

Posted January 15, 2012
Ms. Williams is fantastic and does not allow any parent to choose their child's teacher, which is a very fair approach. The teachers (especially 1st and 3rd grade) are very creative and go above and beyond! I'm thrilled that my students go to this school! I love volunteering in my child's class.

Posted July 26, 2011
Fantastic school. The principal Mrs. Williams is absolutely wonderful!!! She is a very active principal and the teachers are very approachable. My son loved it and now my younger one is starting KG this year...

Posted October 12, 2009
Stone Mill Elementary is an outstanding school. The principal is excellent! The teachers go above and beyond.

Stone Mill Elementary School
14323 Stonebridge View Dr, North Potomac, MD  20878
Last modified Stone Mill Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Stone Mill Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top