Odenton, MD
Before care: Yes

Posted November 21, 2014
I have two children enrolled in Piney Orchard this year and could not be happier with their teachers. I like how the teachers communicate with me frequently through written notes and emails. There is a lot of homework to do, but I appreciate that my children are being challenged and the work, for the most part, appears to match their skills and abilities yet pushes them a bit in terms of stretching their thinking. The women in the office seem alright, although I haven't really interacted with them very much.

Posted June 22, 2014
The negative reviews are accurate. The children are rushed through the day in a series of 20 minute "lessons"with no teaching done at all. Children go completely unnoticed if they aren't top 2%. The teachers cannot explain the grades given because they don't know your children. In order for your child to learn you will need to teach them at home or obtain tutors, which most parents are doing. The teachers are mediocre and cruise since the parents are doing all the work. Although the student population is diverse, there is a noticeable lack of diversity in the staff outside of one white male music teacher every staff member is a white female. The relationship between the staff diversity and the achievement gap of the schools minority and male students is evident as this children are ignored and are not given opportunities to participate in the limited extracurricular activities/clubs. It took me a few years to see the issues because it is in a great middle class community, after spending time at other schools in the county I realized this school is doing a disservice to its students. Class size is 25-30 per class with one TA in each grade alternating between 4-5 classes monthly.

Posted June 18, 2014
Can anyone give me an updated review of the school? Trying to decide whether to live in Piney Orchard or Seven Oaks and my decision is strongly based on the elementary school.

Posted June 02, 2014
Our son will be going to Piney Orchard in the fall and the staff has been great in terms of going through the process to get him registered. If this is the way they run the school, I'm sure it will be a superb environment. Everyone is polite, professional and organized. I like the way this is going.

Posted January 01, 2014
Overcrowded, larger than normal class sizes, and teachers/faculty that just seem to be doing a job. No ownership of their roles of educating our youth. Very disappointed in this school. Looking forward to the ability to move out of the enrollment zone of this school. Looked great on paper, but does not live up to the hype.

Piney Orchard Elementary School 2

Posted September 11, 2013
I have been following this school for years as my daughters were enrolled here since kindergarten. Pleased to see the ratings start to reflect the change in administration as I have seen and felt the difference and was concerned it was only myself.

Posted September 07, 2013
Piney Orchard Elementary School is a topnotch school. The teachers and staff are committed, dedicated professionals. Parents are encouraged to be involved in the school community, whether it be by volunteering at home or in the classroom, joining and being involved in the PTA, or attending school events. The school has been recognized by the State of Maryland for excellence in gifted and talented education. All students receive increased opportunities for advanced instruction in both math and language arts. The cultural arts classes are engaging, and the instrumental and choral programs are incredible. Being located so close to a military base, it is understandable that the student population changes throughout the school year. We are thrilled that our children have had the opportunity to attend such a fantastic elementary school.

Posted July 08, 2013
I am so glad that I am not the only person head over heels in love with this school. My son attended POE last year for the first time. We are military so I picked the location to live in based upon the reviews. If your child is not a "genius" they are very likely to be over looked. You must advocate for your child, ask questions, and stay on the teachers. His teacher recommended him to be placed in another "on level class" for next year, even though his reading Dibels score at the end of the year was double the requirement. Her reasoning was he needs to finish work in a more timely manner. I 'm not buying it. His teacher showed no genuine interest in my child, and had I not addressed my concerns he would have just been passed on by.. another child left behind. The office is not welcoming, The principal is almost none existent, field trips are done by lottery picking (so they say) and only 5 parents can go; you can't go to field day to be with your child unless you are volunteering, you are limited to eating lunch only on birthdays and can't bring younger siblings to any functions! For meet the teacher, or any other events, children are not allowed. Please proceed with caution

Piney Orchard Elementary School 2

Posted May 31, 2013
This school is in a great area, but its only viewed as a GREAT school if your child is smart. My child has been struggling since grade K and i have talked to teachers and everyone else you can think about in order to have him tested to see if he can get whatever extra help i can get him. In the meeting EVERYONE voiced the same concerns, but apparently when they "tested him" to see if he qualifies for "extra help" his scores were on the lower side, but not low enough to qualify. As his mother, i can tell you whatever test they did with him was not correct because my son is probably more on the lower 2nd grade level and here he is about to go into 4th grade. This school is all about "ratings" and having that bonus in their checks. Its sad that these people don't have a true desire to help this children. I guess since it isn't their child it isnt a big deal!

Posted March 25, 2012
My daughters LOVE going to school everyday because of the teachers and staff at POES. The teachers are quick to respond and really care about the success of my girls. Great school and proud to live in Piney Orchard.

Piney Orchard Elementary School
2641 Strawberry Lake Way, Odenton, MD  21113
Last modified Piney Orchard Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Piney Orchard Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top