Owings Mills, MD

Posted January 22, 2014
Every child could benefit from a Jemicy education. The schools incredible teachers find the best in every kid and build upon it. We are so lucky to have had our 2 sons graduate, 1 from the middle school, 1 from the upper school

Posted May 21, 2013
Could not be happier with Jemicy. We are well into the Upper School years. I see from a few posts that there have been some parents who were unhappy for whatever reason (and their posts seem oddly paranoid, like they think teachers are posting reviews? Making comments about 'overmedicated' kids'? Who does that?) Best to not have parents like this at the school anyway so it's good to know they have moved on. I've never met an angry, unhappy parent here &it's been 5yrs. Probably bc people like that tend to sit home & complain anonymously. Don't let comments like that scare you away. Our son's LD is accommodated well & he's learning to manage his workload. School has always been a struggle and still is, even at Jemicy, but he is getting there. They don't quit on a kid. It's not perfect but no school is. There are the same groups of kids you find at any school, public or private. There are a few teachers who are ' just ok' but overall I'd rate them as very good to excellent. My son has had several who have been life changing in their dedication to bring out the best in him. It's not easy for the teachers at times as he gets very frustrated but overall they do a great job & I'm pleased.

Jemicy School 1

Posted March 16, 2012
First, It baffles me how a parent knows that an unnamed student is "clearly having a temper tantrum."(February 2, 2012)...The school claims to have "bright children with learning disorders." I guess that's their goal. There are some bright kids and very sweet kids. But there are some very disorderly kids that are over medicated. I found the school to be very welcoming, at first. Some of the teachers are very, very nice. Then I saw and experienced some extremely rude staff including the administration. And I mean extremely rude. I recommend really researching the schools in the area. When you apply, they will have parents, call you...of course it is going to be parents that support the program.

Jemicy School 2

Posted March 13, 2012
Very disappointed with the school. There is also asbestos in at least 1 large building. Don't forget, these ratings can be done by staff, including admissions.

Posted February 02, 2012
Oh. My. God. I am so embarrassed at the post dated 11/29/11. This person does NOT speak for me or anyone else. Our family has had a child at Jemicy for a few years-we are in the Upper School, and we dont know anyone like this. Clearly he's having a temper tantrum and maybe their child has issues Jemicy isn't suited to deal with. It's not a school for behaviour disordered children. My child has had many challenges- educational and social (like any normal teenager) and we have met with nothing but support, encouragement, kindness and most importantly, resolution of the issue. And NO we are not rich and don't have extra money to donate. Head of the School is attentive, approachable and VERY invested in these kids' success. Parents are involved and friendly and invested in the success of the program. We are delighted to have found this gem of a school and to be off the public school merry-go-round of failure. Even another private school would not be able to handle my child's complicated LD the way Jemicy does. My child appears on the outside to be so "normal" but his brain is a scattered mess. At Jemicy, he is successful and believes in himself. It's an amazing, wonderful place.

Posted January 20, 2012
So proud to be a parent and so incredibly grateful for Jemicy School and all they do to help so many children in the area for many many years...Thanks to Jemicy and all they have done for both my boys...instilling the confidence, skills and academic believability, achieveablity in both their dreams and aspirations... this will be my last year as my youngest will be graduating from this incredible school but I know that that is not where it stops just because they graduate many move on but always come back and visit the school. The mentoring and relationship that my boys have made with several of the teachers is not something that you pay for...its something they just give...from the heart and they truly care about these students! What a remarkable school...as a networker many of my associates will admit I have and will always encourage, complement and give credit to this school for helping my boys they were able to attain their dreams...Thank you from my heart.... as this school I know we will take with us a piece we will hold close to us...if you are looking I highly recommend them and proud to be a parent of Jemicy! Tammy Barnes Bowers

Jemicy School 1

Posted November 29, 2011
Do not let the initial warm welcome influence your decision. On paper Jemicy seems good and many of the "key" players will make you feel like they totally understand what you are going through and make you believe how happy and wonderful this school is. All schools have positives and negatives. All have good and bad teachers, but Jemicy is not giving what they preach. If your child ends up having any issues whatsoever (educationally or socially) you are in for a rude awakening. This is an environment that is supportive in a very political kind of way, and we are not the only family that feels this way. The overall feeling of most of these families is very similar. The more you donate, the better treatment your child will receive. What's lacking is far superior to what is amazing. There are better choices in the state of Maryland, including Odyssey School and the Summit School. We personally feel that there is a good chance you will regret sending your child here unless you are very wealthy and plan on donating plenty of additional money (and time) on top of the 29k tuition. Don't settle and think this is your only option

Jemicy School 3

Posted October 05, 2011
This is my second post on this forum. Based on posts after mine I am concerned that what I hoped feedback that I offered as guidance based in my years of experience was not taken as I intended. Let me be clear. The purpose of my post was to emphasize the very real problem of high teacher turnover. We all look to this school to help our kids with very real needs. One of these needs is for stable educators to be consistent voices year after year. The numbers speak for themselves: almost the entire science and math faculty has turned over in three years. My comments pertain only to the upper school. I think the lower middle campus is much more stable. 28 grand a year is a lot of money. Make sure you ask questions and do your research

Posted September 13, 2011
Jemicy offers state of the art education for kids with dyslexia and language based learning differences. They truly care about each child and his/her individual development. The staff there stays on top of and employs the latest teaching practices in this highly specialized field. I give the school an excellent rating and highly recommend it!

Posted September 12, 2011
Jemicy is an excellent school that offers an education of unparalleled quality. Their teachers are committed, highly educated and truly care about each child. Jemicy is one of the oldest and most well respected schools in the country when it comes to educating students with dyslexia and other language based learning differences. Their staff is frequently a driving force behind the latest dyslexia research and their head of school is one of the country's top experts in the field. I would not hesitate to send my child to Jemicy. The warmth of the teachers and administration along with their knowledge, commitment and experience in educating children with dyslexia are second to none. I cannot say enough good things about Jemicy and highly encourage parents to check them out. One visit to their campus and a meeting with any member of their staff (teachers or administration) will speak for itself.

Jemicy School