New Town Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 799 students

Sweep tile

Posted September 18, 2013

New Town Elementary has been such an amazing experience for me and my daughter. I agree with the other parents - the principal and her staff are the reason that this school is so good. They are responsive and are deeply committed about the children here. I am at the school more than the average parent and I see the dedication that everyone has for doing the best that they can do. This is our fourth year and I am very glad I did not send her to private school as originally intended because I truly believe that this was the best choice. The kids are great kids that are being actively parented, they focus a lot on anti-bullying, and their educational standards are way above Maryland's minimum standards. Although we personally have had one teacher that I would not consider the absolute best, all of the others have been amazing. From what I have seen, 99% of the teachers there are fabulous and they are all loved by the kids which matters the most. On the downside, it is over-crowded, but you will really not even notice it is so well-run.

Posted June 18, 2013

This is an excellent school. My daughter attends this. The principle is very active and approachable. The teachers here have been there since the school opened and have strong ties to the community. Teachers take a personal interest in students. The key is the parents have to have open communication with the teachers and give them the respect the deserve. Many parents blame the teachers for anything bad that happens. This school is excellent!!!!

Posted June 17, 2013

Our experience at New Town has been excellent. My son completed Kindergarten in Ms Crocker's class. The way she worked with the children was amazing. Math, Reading, Writing... I am still amazed! The staff makes themselves very accessible. Absolutely the best experience at New Town. I can not wait for next year!

Posted June 1, 2013

I believe this school excels because the administration understands and values their responsibility to serve the support the teachers and children. They run a tight ship and the parents and teachers respect them. Our children have had 5 different teachers now and each of them has been outstanding. I expect that even great schools will have some teachers that are sub-par, and maybe New Town does, but we haven't experienced that so far. The parent and community involvement is exceptional. Fashion shows, Halloween Trunk Parties, School Plays, Fund Raisers, etc. We've been to most school activities at New Town in the last 5 years and every event is packed with eager and supportive parents. This is the rare school that hits on all cylinders and I'm grateful that my children have had the opportunity to attend.

Posted December 16, 2011

My daughter attended a Catholic school in Baltimore City and her reading was not at the required level for a 2nd grader. This is her 2nd year and since attending Newtown Elementary her reading level has gotten alot better and she loves to read. We go to Starbucks e/o weekend just so that she can sit and read and have snacks. Thanks newtown for your dedication to the children and their education.

Posted November 4, 2010

New Town Elementary has great Teachers and a strong academic curriculum. The school has wonderful state of the art resources lots of great parent involvement.

Posted May 25, 2010

My daughter is completing her first year at New Town. She is in Mrs. Ketchum's kindergarten class. She has had a wonderful school year. In spite of the large numbers of students, she gets the attention she needs. Mrs. Ketchum has supported and reinforced the reading and math skills that I am teaching her at home. She loves the school, I have seen a wonderful change in her self confidence over the past school year.

Posted March 22, 2009

We were so thrilled to find New Town ES to be so welcoming and accomodating to our child's (and family) needs. Our K-3 school in Montgomery County advised us that their role was to ensure each child met the standard, not reached their fullest potential. When we approached NTES with requests for advanced classes, and later requests to change to a teacher more flexible and understanding of ADHD issues, we were treated as part of the solution and not some nuisance. Our child has been doing so well at NTES, with strong sense of self, love of learning and strong test scores to boot. My only hope is that the other parents keep their children moving into the next level of the public schools to keep the good work/scores of our children in the public schools. This will also help our property values folks!! Thanks Ms. Straus and staff!!

Posted March 3, 2009

My son has attend New Town for three years and I believe it is the 'Top' of its class.

Posted September 1, 2008

My son is now in his 3rd year at New Town. The teachers have always responded quickly to any concerns. The overcrowding issue was resolved a few years back when a new elementary school was built in the area. The test scores speak for themselves.

Posted April 6, 2008

I am in the military and moving to Owings Mills has been wonderful. My children love Newtown and have made great friends. The teachers are dedicated and take the time to handle subjects individually. The low teacher/student ratio is a plus.

Posted January 24, 2008

I absolutely love New Town, the parents are very envolved and the teachers are very experienced. I have seen my daughter grow and learn, so I feel I made a good choice to stay in this area.

Posted March 29, 2007

New Town Elementary School is a excellent school. My child is in the 3rd grades now and it seems like learning has been a breeze for her. I know it because of the teaching method and the passion the teacher have for the children education. Hat off to the students, teachers and staff at New Town Elementary school.

Posted August 30, 2006

This is one of the better schools in Baltimore county. They really have a great program for kids that are struggling w/ emotional, medical issues such as AD/HD. The staff has been very involved and proactive with dealing with my child's AD/HD issues and the guidance councelors are very caring and compitant. I think that more parents need to be actively involved with their children's education, even if they don't do things like join PTA, just taking the time to talk to and get to know the teachers would make a big difference.

Posted June 27, 2006

This is a nice school with children who are eager to learn. Many of the students have behavioral issues, but most are good natured despite these setbacks. My problems with this school are that 1) the parent involvement is minimal and pathetic; and 2) the administration doesn't deal with discipline problems in a serious manner. Additionally, many teachers here are burnt out. As for parents, your interestest and involvement in your child's school shows him that school is important to you and that you value his efforts. A one-person PTA can't do it all.
—Submitted by a staff

Posted August 29, 2005

At Newtown, the teachers and staff care. My daughter is motivated to learn. She has a comfort level with her teachers so that she can seek assisiance when needed. The teachers are warm and encouraging. Most importantly, the teachers are COMPETENT. As a teacher myself, my daughter's standard of education is vital. I have confidence in Newtown's ability to equip my daughter with the necessary skills to be successful. Keep up the great work . We appreciate all that you do.

Posted February 28, 2005

linda ketchem for kindergarden is the best !!! the teachers care about the kids, and thats what is missing from most of the Baltimore county schools that I have seen, parents can visit, and help the teachers in class, our kids are our future, and new town elem. is a great start

Posted January 22, 2005

New Town Elementary is a wonderful public school and if once, discipline was an issue, clearly it no longer is. There are no other schools in the state that can compare with the test scores esp. given the size and the overcrowding issue that existed during the 2003 testing period. Although this is a young school, I believe the teachers, principal and parents are doing an excellent job. The best way to ensure continued improvement is for parents to continue increased involvement with the school and PTA.

Posted August 4, 2004

New Town has evolved from an okay school to a great school in a few short years. The test scores are high, the overcrowding issue was tackled, and the behavior plan in place has created and atmosphere where students, parents and teachers are clear on the expectations we have for our children's behavior in school. I believe that New Town's reputation will only improve and become one of the best schools in the county.

Posted September 24, 2003

New Town is now 3 years old. It is just an 'okay'school. I think the community was excited and hopeful that finally a good school was coming into the neighborhood however, the reality of a really good school fell short of our expectations. The school has no 'Honor Roll System' to recognize student achievment, the teachers are marginal and the students lack in discipline because there is no great consequence for wrong doing. Hopefully in time it will become a great school, but right now it is pretty average.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

156 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

156 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

136 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

135 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian 10% 6%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 29%N/A40%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

4924 New Town Blvd