Timber Grove Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted February 26, 2014

It's intersting to read the comment posted below. I worked in many schools and can vouch for the fact that the administration, particularly Mrs Miller is constantly in and out of teacher's classrooms. Mrs. Miller knows the students well and makes every effot to make herself visible to staff members. As a parent myself, I understand concernes about bullying and working with teachers that are new to the staff. It is important to remember that our school is here for children and to best support them in anyway they need. The adminstration ensures that teachers are coached properly and children are taught to best meet their instructional needs. Writing false facts about people, particularly about the lack of involvement by the administartion, is incorrect and I wonder if a "teacher" at our school truely posted the remark.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 13, 2014

This school has a 5 out of 10 rating. That may be too high for this school. The test scores tell a deeper and darker story about the poor leadership at the school. They do not observe teachers to monitor instructional quality and as a result there is great variance in the quality of instruction. The school's principal Mrs Miller is an incompetent office dweller who frequently dismisses parental concerns. She has been ineffective at turning the school around and unable to coach ineffective teachers...
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 21, 2013

Timber grove elementary is a great school. I have 2 kids going to this school, one with special needs, and he is been going to TGE since pre-k for the language service and now receiving an IEP. All in all we couldn't be happier with this school. The teachers and the staff are great. I meet with VP mrs Johnson and and the teachers and staff that's involved with IEP for one of my kids on the regular basis and can definitely say that I feel and always have felt that they genuinely care about my kids especially about my 9 year old who is receiving the IEP. All in all, we're very happy with this school especially with the level of special/individual services services this school and the staff is delivering to us.

Posted October 27, 2013

Timber Grove is an amazing place. The administration works together to ensure that all students get the best education while growing. I find it to be a wekcoming environment as well.

Posted June 8, 2013

Great school and awesome PTA!!!!! I'm very pleased with this school. My children are learning and the staff is dedicated to their success.

Posted June 7, 2013

This year has been a great experience for both of my kids. They have really enjoyed their teachers and have been challenged academically. Mrs Miller has done a great job with the school as well and Mrs Johnson is wonderful! The PTA has planned some wonderful events and has a strong presence at the school....all are ALWAYS welcome! I have nothing but great things to say about Timber Grove.

Posted May 30, 2013

Timber Grove Elementary is a wonderful school and I couldn't be happier. Mrs. Miller is a very receptive Principal and is willing to listen and respond. All you need to do is e-mail, call, or make an appointment and she will make herself available to you. Mrs. Johnson, our VP is also wonderful. The communication with teachers has improved tremendously this year and for 4th and 5th grade has been fantastic! Our PTA is fantastic. I am reading some of the comments listed below, and PTA is always looking for people to participate and be involved with committees. I am not in a "clique" and have never been in one at our school and remained very involved with PTA and have never felt that my ideas weren't welcome even though I didn't always agree with something. Come to PTA meetings, get involved. We need you and want you! I wouldn't transfer out of this school even if the opportunity was given to me. Keep up the great work TGE administration, staff, parents! Let's all ROAR for Timber Grove!

Posted May 17, 2013

Very poorly run school. My kids went there in the 1990s and it was great. Now I have three grandchildren there and they all have had major problems from one being bullied in first grade to one walking out of the school and nobody noticing. It needs a major shakeup in the teachers and administration.

Posted April 2, 2013

I'm sorry to report that the clique mentality hasn't changed in the year since the January 2012 parent review. It's most noticeable in the PTA, where new members are not welcome, and ideas that don't originate from the "in crowd" are only reluctantly considered. It's costing them lots of volunteer help.

Posted January 20, 2012

When we first started I was truly horrified by how rude and unwelcoming the administration was. We can't afford private school, didn't make it into the Charter and were denied a transfer to another school. We were trapped. So I tried to make the best of the situation and I was invoved in the school as much as possible. Things are a bit better now, but time and again I keep seeing the clickishness of the PTA and the really really REALLY horrible lack of communication at the school. Teachers don't always talk to each other, the administraion doesn't talk to the teachers and the both almost never talk to the parents. I have no idea how this can be fixed, but until it is, this school is wasting so much potentional. They do have some great qualities, but it is often lost due to the lack of respect and no sense of community in the school. It has gotten better for me, but even still if I could - I would transfer my child in a heartbeat!. I just wish that someone would see these comments and realized that there needs to be some changes if they want to keep this school from continuing to drop in ratings.

Posted November 19, 2011

Just like almost every parent is stating on here, the school's administration is horrible. They are rude, unfriendly, and not helpful at all. My step-daughter started this school last year for 1st grade, the first day I dropped her off, I noticed ALL the childern need to stay OUTSIDE of the school until it opens at 8:05. Unless she is eating breakfast in the morning, none of the childern are allowed in the school. I did NOT feel comfortable with that, especially being new to the area and not knowing anything about it. Another time, my daughter complained to me about being bullied in school and being slapped by another student, so I went to the office to speak with somebody and the front office told me I could NOT speak with the teacher or the principle, that I needed to schedule an appt. My daughter has begged me to please come to school and eat lunch with her and her friends, when I tried to, the school, AGAIN, told me I could NOT have lunch with her in the cafeteria, and if I wanted to eat with her, I had to make an appt, and I could eat with her in the office. I would not recommend this school to any parent, I'm definitly transferring her end of this school year.

Posted August 24, 2011

My grandson had a wonderful kindergarden teacher and was doing well even having been diagnosed with ADHD. Then in first grade had it not been for in mid May that I happened to see a bumper stick on a car that said the Tutoring Club I would have never know he was never ready for 2nd grade. I made an inquiry to have him accessed at the Tutoring Club and it was the best $75.00 I invested in to have him accessed for reading and math. He spent the middle of May of 2011 -thru the entire summer 3 days a week 2 hours a day getting help from the Tutoring Club. He also did 4 pages of homework every night for the entire time 6 days a week. We pray he is ready for 2nd grade. His teacher at Timbergrove was not accessible nor did she ever respond to pleads for a conference. Again had it not been for the bumper sticker who knows where we would be at now starting 2nd grade. I agree the women at the front desk are rude, short tempered and just not nice ladies to the public. It is a shame because the homes are nice and expensive in this area. We should be able to get a great school.

Posted June 3, 2011

My Daughters ages 6 and 9 attend Timbergrove Elementary School. I was very excited about my daughters attending this school but I am so glad that the school year is ending so they can be transfered. The Schools Administration are not friendly to the parents and I do not feel welcomed. I feel like the Students are rushed through the School everyday. They have a carpool lane and they stand outside and yell for the parents to hurry, let the kids out of the car and pull off, and I do not feel comfortable with this at all. Beginning on the second day of School, they would not allow the parents to walk the children to their classes, which I thought was ridiculous considering that my children were new to the School. I have had problems with Teachers not using the proper tone when speaking with my children, and not listening to the kids when there is a problem. After, spending the day with my daughter, I was told that parents are not allowed in the Cafeteria to have lunch with their Children and if I wanted to do so, then an appt could be scheduled and I could eat in the office with my child. I would not recommend this School to anyone until something is done about the staff.

Posted October 28, 2010

I think Timbergrove is a wonderful school, but I must agree with the person who said that the administration needs to be more accessible and much more friendlier to the parents. My child has done well thus far, but I thing they administration does play favorites, it funny how i noticed it but never would admit to it, but to see that others are on the same page....these are out tax dollars and parents should be welcomed by administration, no materr what race, age, etc....this is definitely a problem in the making if not resloved soon

Posted October 1, 2010

When our daughter was enrolled in Timber Grove, the principal invited the new parents & students to a friendly visit to talk about her wonderful staff and school. We were very excited about the school, then new administration took over, it changed. We do not feel welcomed as parents. The teachers have been great, for the most part. My daughter gets a good education, don't get me wrong, but the admin and their leaders could be a bit more friendly. I agree with another parent review, we're all important not just a certain crowd. I don't feel the staff is flexible and don't stay late when needed. The admin needs to be there for students and parents. I've been to a PTA meeting and it was sad only one T came. We never returned b/c nothing got accomplished. TG needs to feel more welcoming.

Posted April 23, 2010

Amazing, caring, professional....above and beyond teachers, admin, and all of the staff.

Posted September 17, 2009

Timbergrove students and staff have made my granddaughter feel so welcomed and comfortable her first day at a new school! Back To School Night was outstanding! The fourth grade teachers presented an excellent powerpoint presentation.

Posted July 29, 2009

I have two kinds in Timber Grove and am very satisfied with the quality of education they receive. The communication between teachers and parents is ok, but I wish the school had a better website (and wasted less paper on newsletters and announcements)

Posted October 14, 2007

Timber Grove is a good school with some great teachers. We've got an active PTA but one that revolves mostly around and caters mostly to the younger grades rather than including the entire school. It used to have a very open/friendly atmosphere but with the new administration feels a bit closed and volunteers not made to feel welcome. Extracurricular activities are varied with Chimes, Linus Club, Volleyball, Band, Student Council, Sports Days and Photography club. I think it's great that those teachers give their time so freely to the children of Timber Grove. I do think that the administartion at Timber Grove should not cater to any specific group of parents at the school. We are all important.

Posted June 29, 2007

I feel that the academic programs in this school could be strong if they were taught well. The teachers are unaccessable to the parents and there seems to be no extra help for anyone. Teachers basically seem to be unfamiliar with the newer curriculums and seem to be learning with the children instead of learning first and then teaching! There is no communication with the principal and the assisstant principal seems to handle all problems. What exactly does the principal do? I am unaware of extra curricular activities as many children are bussed and I don't see where there is a late bus for those children that would like to particpate in after school activities. On the whole I think that this school is far lacking the environment for a good teaching situation. Students are turned off to learning in this school. It is very sad.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 7% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 46%N/A42%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

701 Academy Ave