Owings Mills High School

Public | 9-12

Posted Monday, July 28, 2014

I am a student at OMHS and I will be a junior coming onto the 2014-2015 school year. People think our school is filled with gangs or a bunch of people that don't know what they are doing. But in all honesty, that is not the case. OMHS is progressing and I can see that. In every school, there WILL be a few people that are "clowns" and cool around but that's the reality. You cannot go to another school and not see that. OMHS has positive teachers that are enthusiatic about the students. The athletics are progressing. There are a lot of classes they offer and the teachers are becoming more and more positive and enthusiastic to push the students out of their comfort zone, and become greater and more positive students. So to those people who say "I will never send my kid to OMHS" because of swearing or because the athletics are not D1 ready or because it's not "good enough", well no school is perfect. But our school has character.

Posted May 9, 2014

I am not sure if these people are paid to post some of these reviews or not, but I would never ever send my child to OMHS. The top 25% of students are great but unfortunately the bottom 25-50% bring this school way down. You must hear 100+ curse words ever period, most of the students are very disrespectful and do not even know it. The "lack" of a dress code is also ridiculous, I see more skin in the hallways then I do at Ocean City.

Posted April 9, 2014

I have been an OMHS parent for 7 years. The new principal and the assistant principals have high standards for all of the staff and students and the PTSA in more involved than ever! There are many opportunities for all students to become involved...a strong SGA, clubs, organizations, music, art, robotics, sports, theater, mock trials, and more! Just this week Owings Mills High was once again named as a Top School in the Nation by The Washington Post!

Posted October 26, 2013

My son is a freshman. The staff has done very well keeping me informed on his progress and adjustment to high school. The staff and students share a great school pride. AndThe counselors and teachers make the atmosphere exciting. My son loves it there.

Posted October 26, 2013

Owings Mills High School offers a "small school" atmosphere, but with the diversity of course selection that a larger high school might offer. The administration is energetic and truly interested in bettering the school and keeping the students interested and involved. There is a new group of young, enthusiastic teachers who want to try different and creative programming and the administration is supporting them 100%. The reinvigorated PTSA is doing great things to keep parents well informed and involved as well. This school is "real life" with true cultural and ethnic diversity. My two kids have had an extremely positive experience at Owings Mills High School.

Posted October 25, 2013

This is my eighth year as a parent of a child at OMHS . And it's going to be sad when my child graduates in may . The new principle is awesome and the new athletic director has some big refreshing ideas . The upcoming years are going to be exciting , wish that I was going to be around to see it happen .

Posted October 25, 2013

My boys absolutely love Owings Mills HS. Are amazed at how diverse the school is and how inviting the students are. The love that they have several club options. They also are very happy with the teachers. I personally love the PTSA involvement to make sure parents are kept informed. Also when I email a teacher they respond! This is an amazing school and I am very glade we moved to Maryland.

Posted October 25, 2013

Owings Mills High School has so much to offer ! There are a lot of after school activities offered for different interests, diverse population with students from all over the world, friendly and caring staff that go out of their way to make OM a great place for all!

Posted October 25, 2013

I have been a parent here since 2006. Both of my children have gotten stellar educations. It is a place where a student can shine. The teachers are caring and very skilled. We are lucky to be part of Omhs.

Posted October 25, 2013

Owings Mills High School lives up to the motto of 'Excellence Through Diversity'. The school is a multi-cultural student body and I love the way the staff works together and goes above and beyond to ensure the success of their students. The staff support not only their students, but each other.

Posted October 25, 2013

I have been teaching at Owingd Mills HS for 20 years and I have been extremely happy with my choice to do so. The admisistration is very supportive of its teachers, the faculty cares about its students and the students are fantastic young people with diverse backgrounds.On a regular basis, I am reminded that my career in education is the most important job I could have chosen. After teaching 33 years, I still love what I do and I wouldn't want to do it in any other place.

Posted October 25, 2013

I have had two sons attend OMES and have so impressed with the teachers and the academics. The teachers care and it shows why it is a Top ten School in the State of Maryland.

Posted October 25, 2013

My school really is diversified, and coming from a Peace Corps background, it really is uplifting to work here.

Posted October 24, 2013

Before my little sister entered high school, she was very sad and downcast a lot of the time. I feared that high school would only make it worse. I mean, I knew what it was like when I was in high school and from what I gather the pressure to "fit in" has only gotten worse. To my surprise, it was much the opposite for her. Since becoming a freshmen at Owings Mills High, my baby sis is much happier. She plays on the soccer team and is currently going through auditions for the school musical. I've never seen her so confident and thrilled to leave for school. Her grades are out of this world. The faculty support and administration at OMHS are absolutely remarkable. They take great care to ensure that students are not only provided with an excellent education, but also that they are provided a safe environment to thrive and grow. And it doesn't hurt that their principal ROCKS! As a member of the PTSA, I see the great involvement from leadership and parents, it is truly outstanding. I am SO happy to be a part of the OMHS community and to see my sister excel in such a short time!!!

Posted October 7, 2013

My school is amazing! The new administrator is doing a great job. The parents could be more supportive though.

Posted October 7, 2013

OMHS is the best! We rock! Academics are getting even more rigorous over time, and that's great. But the school still works with and supports those students who need it most.

Posted October 6, 2013

Owings Mills HS is a school with a diverse student body. It has opportunities for students to pursue many different interests.

Posted October 6, 2013

The teachers are phenomenal. They're very personal with they way they teach, and they do their best to get you what you need/what you want. For example, I'm starting an environmental science club with the help of our AP Environmental teacher. Each teacher has an after-school help session as often as convenient to them, which is usually twice a week, or even on a quotidian basis. They give you all of the tools you need to succeed in high school, and in further education/life. The only way I can think that the school could improve would be the students' home lives. There is a plethora of ways the teachers give the students opportunities to improve their grades, and be extremely successful. However, because students aren't given good reasons from their families to do well, they generally ignore all of the great opportunites. If that were to happen, and students wouldn't be so insistent on ignoring their education, the school would be a very close candidate to an ideal school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 6, 2013

My school is making a strong statement in the new year as it seeks to expand its program and academic quality. Stay tuned to the rest of this school year, as well as the next one, as there are many new things to make students, parents and other community stakeholders proud.

Posted August 22, 2013

Attended Freshman Orientation tonight. Left with a great feeling about the school!! So many clubs, organizations, and sports for my child to get involved in. Enjoyed talking to so many teachers and loved the involvement of the older students. Best part was when the Principal danced with the students to inspire them to be brave! Looking forward to getting involved!

Grade level

Algebra

The state average for Algebra was 84% in 2013.

205 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2013.

211 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 83% in 2013.

233 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Maryland used the Maryland High School Assessments (HSA) to test students in English 2, Algebra, and Biology upon completion of each course. The HSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. Students are required to pass the tests in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Source: Maryland State Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 8% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 49%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music