Oxon Hill, MD
Before care: Yes

Posted March 14, 2013
Kudos to the new administration. I find that with every organization you have adjustments. I find that collectively JHMS has worked for my kids and I really appreciate all experience. Most teachrs have been excellent. In particular Ms. DeLeon has really given my son the desire to want to learn. What more can you ask for?

John Hanson Montessori 4

Posted March 14, 2013
Both of my daughters attend John Hanson. I love the Montessori method of learning. But as some parents stated, a few teachers are not up to par on passing on Dr. Montessori's ways. I think we've experienced having one of the best teachers at the school, Mrs. Lee-Sang, she's awesome! Unfortunately we've also experienced one of the worst, Ms. Whalen (who transferred from French Immersion). I think when the French Immersion left the school, they left Ms. Whalen behind intentionally. She is just batty in every way imaginable. She really just needs to retire! Even though she wouldn't remember if she did :(

John Hanson Montessori 2

Posted August 16, 2012
The Montessori method of teaching has been completely lost due to the poor administration and leadership of the school. Most of the teachers are sub-par or average at best and the principal that just left as well as the new principal (who was the former vice-principal) both are apathetic in their approach to motivating the staff and fighting for the needs of the school. Numerous parents have had to get tutors for their kids because the teaching is so poor. The restrooms are a nightmare; you almost need a hazmat suit to use them. Thank goodness their is a strong PTA in place that actually cares and is willing to try and improve the school. Think twice before putting your child in this school. The test scores may be decent, but a child's safety and being in a sanitary environment are important as well. Parents should have a peace of mind that their child is in a safe, healthy environment when at school. John Hanson Montessori is not it.

Posted January 10, 2011
John Hanson Montessori has and continues to exceeds my expectations. My son is doing an outstanding job and is even learning how to read, as a 3 year old. His teachers (Ms. Tuano and Ms. Avery) are great and partner with me in educating my child.

Posted December 31, 2010
I wrote an Rating of 5/5 APPLES on 06/11/2010 - informing readers of email that stated: " I am a TRUE BELIEVER of the program at this school; because they provide a warm, loving environment where your child can feel comfortable and safe. They encourage children to discover new knowledge, to create and work out relationships with others; therefore, openly allowing their students (with guidance) to express and acquire new skills and interests with one another !!! The teachers at this school "Primary Goal" is Caring For The Children :) Shirley Swinson"Battle :)

John Hanson Montessori 0

Posted November 01, 2010
The Montessori method of learning teaches children to be analytical and independent thinkers, lovers of learning and highly self-motivated. John Hanson as one of only a handle of public Montessori schools in our nation embodies Dr. Maria Montessori teaching methodology and yet balances the rigors of required state testing for a public school. Our students excel on every level: academics, arts, instrumental, sports, and languages. We're proud to be eagles.

John Hanson Montessori 1

Posted September 13, 2010
I took my son out in the middle of his first year at John Hanson. Coming from Bowie Montessori school to John Hanson was a shocking, at JH there was no reports of incidents at the school at all, his teacher Mrs. Koronowski was a nightmare, she failed to report when two other children groped my child, even though my child told Mrs. K she did nothing at all, when I reported the incident to the principal Mrs. Chappelle she was all to familiar with one of the perpetrators. Mrs. Koronowski was absent much too much. On one of her absents, two students were fighting over a pencil and my son got stabbed in the forehead, again no notice of anything from the school. In my opinion this has been the worst school we have experienced. My son was constantly bored at John Hanson, he loves his new school St Marys

John Hanson Montessori 4

Posted May 20, 2010
i love my son's teacher Mrs. Ross who goes that extra mile to make sure my son is on task. We work as a team to get him what he needs to get it done.

Posted April 28, 2010
I must say, I was not sure how well my three, now four year old son would do in school. Being that he was always with grandma. Since going to JHM he has truly developed to be a little man. He is learning and picking up on thing that surprises me everyday. He loves his teacher Ms. Brooks, she firm but patience with her students. I can't wait for next school year when he will be going to school on a full day schedule.

John Hanson Montessori 0

Posted April 27, 2010
My three, now four year old loves this school and more importantly her teacher (ms. Tuano). I do too. She is generally a shy child and i see her coming out of her 'soft' shell. Blossoming so the speak. So far...........Love this school!!

John Hanson Montessori
6360 Oxon Hill Rd, Oxon Hill, MD  20745
Last modified John Hanson Montessori is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John Hanson Montessori Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top