Oxon Hill, MD

Posted February 12, 2015
I love JHMS! The staff is very caring, and encouraging. The office staff is very friendly. The work that is given to students is challenging and encourages them to grow. In addition to academic skills, children learn to work together in groups and to teach each other, and to help each other. I have never had a negative experience with this school community. This is truly a school community that works together in the best interest of children.

Posted February 02, 2015
InvoInvolved parents and dedicated teachers. Administrators are friendly and proactive. My child was in private Montessori school and this Montessori curriculum is pretty comparable. There are a few things I would change but overall I am happy with the school and my younger child will be attending next year.

Posted February 01, 2015
John Hanson promotes a strong environment of learning. I am pleased with the education my daughter has received thus far.

Posted February 01, 2015
No complaints here. I'm satisfied with the administration and staff. Community involvement is definitely a must for schools to be successful.

Posted March 14, 2013
Kudos to the new administration. I find that with every organization you have adjustments. I find that collectively JHMS has worked for my kids and I really appreciate all experience. Most teachrs have been excellent. In particular Ms. DeLeon has really given my son the desire to want to learn. What more can you ask for?

Posted March 14, 2013
Both of my daughters attend John Hanson. I love the Montessori method of learning. But as some parents stated, a few teachers are not up to par on passing on Dr. Montessori's ways. I think we've experienced having one of the best teachers at the school, Mrs. Lee-Sang, she's awesome! Unfortunately we've also experienced one of the worst, Ms. Whalen (who transferred from French Immersion). I think when the French Immersion left the school, they left Ms. Whalen behind intentionally. She is just batty in every way imaginable. She really just needs to retire! Even though she wouldn't remember if she did :(

John Hanson Montessori 2

Posted August 16, 2012
The Montessori method of teaching has been completely lost due to the poor administration and leadership of the school. Most of the teachers are sub-par or average at best and the principal that just left as well as the new principal (who was the former vice-principal) both are apathetic in their approach to motivating the staff and fighting for the needs of the school. Numerous parents have had to get tutors for their kids because the teaching is so poor. The restrooms are a nightmare; you almost need a hazmat suit to use them. Thank goodness their is a strong PTA in place that actually cares and is willing to try and improve the school. Think twice before putting your child in this school. The test scores may be decent, but a child's safety and being in a sanitary environment are important as well. Parents should have a peace of mind that their child is in a safe, healthy environment when at school. John Hanson Montessori is not it.

Posted January 10, 2011
John Hanson Montessori has and continues to exceeds my expectations. My son is doing an outstanding job and is even learning how to read, as a 3 year old. His teachers (Ms. Tuano and Ms. Avery) are great and partner with me in educating my child.

Posted December 31, 2010
I wrote an Rating of 5/5 APPLES on 06/11/2010 - informing readers of email that stated: " I am a TRUE BELIEVER of the program at this school; because they provide a warm, loving environment where your child can feel comfortable and safe. They encourage children to discover new knowledge, to create and work out relationships with others; therefore, openly allowing their students (with guidance) to express and acquire new skills and interests with one another !!! The teachers at this school "Primary Goal" is Caring For The Children :) Shirley Swinson"Battle :)

John Hanson Montessori

Posted November 01, 2010
The Montessori method of learning teaches children to be analytical and independent thinkers, lovers of learning and highly self-motivated. John Hanson as one of only a handle of public Montessori schools in our nation embodies Dr. Maria Montessori teaching methodology and yet balances the rigors of required state testing for a public school. Our students excel on every level: academics, arts, instrumental, sports, and languages. We're proud to be eagles.

John Hanson Montessori
6360 Oxon Hill Rd, Oxon Hill, MD  20745
Last modified John Hanson Montessori is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John Hanson Montessori Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top