St. Columba Catholic School

Private | K-8 | 268 students

Living in Oxon Hill

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $167,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,150.

Sweep tile

Posted December 31, 2013

Despite other ratings regarding technology, i feel that i get emails from the school at least 3 times a week, once from the principal, and at least twice from the teacher. As for other tech savvy tools, i would rather the children learn how to do things manually through verbal interaction. In this day and age, technology changes so fast, the operating system or the "next big thing" will be obsolete by the time they need it in the "real world". Other luxuries such as air conditioning...I have never experienced in school air conditioning except for one or two classes, if i was lucky, so i dont get what the big deal is. They have provisions in place for extreme heat and that's what matters. Teachers are very involved and even when its a small behavioral issue, i've been contacted before it turns in to a bigger issue. They expect parent involvement and reward it. If you dont attend HSA meetings or are not involved, you'll find yourself behind. I hear stories of low attendance during HSA meetings. St Columba has one every month and I've never seen less than 100 people at any given meeting. You get out what you put in. I am extremely happy with St Columba.

Posted November 8, 2013

This school may not have all the fundings for the high tech programs (since when was FB membership and email use a measure of a good school), but I was looking for a school that delivered excellent academics and a close knit caring family atmosphere. I got it at St. Columba bar none. It takes a while to get used to all the procedures and rules/regulations, but the staff and faculty all love the children and think of their best interest in all situations (despite their limited budget). It promotes high acadamics, discipline, and structure. Don't expect to just drop off your kid and let the school do the rest. They expect parents to be very active. Expect to be very active on a daily basis (esp. homework). My child loves it here and has threatened to never talk to me again if I ever think about switching her so I'm hoping we don't have to relocate. To address the A/C situation, they are fundraising like crazy for this. It's an expensive venture. And regarding the technology, call me old fashioned, but I can provide all that at home. My child is advanced in all areas and happily goes to school everyday. Consider St. Columba and decide for yourself.

Posted July 8, 2013

A school that has no programs for kids who are falling behind in reading, No programs for kids who are advanced either. You get the same generic education no matter what, but wait they have a resource teacher who does what ??? No one knows or knows who she is. This school took 50 years to get on facebook, 49 years to get a web page that works, 49 years to start using email. The principal said in the home and school meeting about the email "baby steps". It is not that difficult send an email. Not the school for me anymore. I suggest you do your own research and find out the truth.

Posted June 11, 2013

No school is perfect, and they can't please everyone. St. Columba is a good school. It offers children a quality education, safe and loving environment. Sure it doesn't have air conditioning, but it has survived without it for 50 years, but they are working on getting that done in the next 2 years. Some people don't realize the channels schools have to go through to get some things done. Money doesn't grow on trees and fundraising that amount of money takes time and planning. Our principal is all for technology, she got our lab updated , added Smart boards and put all the reg. info and forms on line. Teachers teach all day, if they can send a response faster to a parent by writing a note, that doesn't mean they don't use technology. All teachers have their own web pages, post homework, and do reportcards online. Classrooms are well run and 98% of the teachers are certified and the 2% that are not are in the process of becoming certified. I have 2 children in this school and they are happy and doing well. No, its not perfect, but instead of complaining ,I try to be part of the solution to help things become better.

Posted April 29, 2013

There are a lot of things going wrong with this school, no air conditioning, no control in the classrooms, Principal who is afraid of technology and teachers who are not certified. If you send a teacher a email, they respond by writing in the planner because they are so far back technology wise. The parents fight against the school to try and make it better, but it is excuse after excuse and no way forward.

Posted June 24, 2011

I believe this school is acceptable, but the students are arrogant, self-important, and just PLAIN RUDE. Very good education, but with the students, laughing at the teachers, spreading gossip around, and talking during class, it was very hard to concentrate. I was even harassed for being "smart" I don't recommend you enrolling your child here, I think it was a BIG mistake to go there. -A student

Posted May 20, 2011

Schools are like jeans or shoes. Sometimes you put them on and you never want to take them off, and sometimes you realize they aren't a good fit. For us, St. Columba has been a very good fit. Overall our experience over the past 15 years has been a very good one. There have been some bumps and the occasional not-great experiences (since no place is perfect), but we have found that the teachers are genuinely interested in the children and in helping them grow academically, socially, and in faith. The principal works hard to be fair and evenhanded with discipline issues and we have found the students to be well-behaved and organized (mostly - they are kids!) The preparation for high school is very good indeed. If you don't attend the church or if the children don't play on the sports teams, it can be difficult to get to know the other families very well (our only real negative).

Posted September 20, 2010

I love St. Columba School because of the excellent education that it provides to all its students. I know this first hand since I am a former volunteer at this school and observed the teachers and staff in action.

Posted April 8, 2010

Sadly, our experience at this school has been the exact opposite of the previous reviewers. Our child has hated her time at St Columba, as have we. Upon visiting we were led to think that the experince would be well-rounded, warm & nurturing...it has NOT been that at all! The principal is not approachable, and when we appraoched her about a certain subject that was a concern for us, she was very curt and stand-offish. And it was no small issue for us or our child. The curriculum is rigourous, which would not be an issue except that my child is terrified of messing up. Not what one wants in someone so young with a long school career ahead. We believe that these early years are what shapes the way ahead. The parents also tend to be very cliquey. We will not be returning for a 2nd year!!

Posted October 24, 2009

It's a pleasure to hear my son tell me how much he loves his school and kindergarten teacher!

Posted October 23, 2009

My children (Godchildren) love that school and they are getting a great education.

Posted October 23, 2009

St. Columba School helps me mold my child into a fully integrated individual.

Posted October 23, 2009

St. Columba School has a family spirit and good teachers.

Posted October 23, 2009

We are new to St. Columba and impressed by the teachers and community every day.

Posted October 22, 2009

The children get along wonderful they act as if they are family.

Posted October 22, 2009

This school is great right out side of WDC and so accessible. The staff fully prepares children to succeed in high school

Posted October 22, 2009

St. Columba School is a fantastic, supportive, learning environment where each child is treated as a special individual with great potential. We've been here for 8 wonderful years and would recommend it highly to anyone.

Posted October 22, 2009

St. Columba has shown my daughter a wonderful education and experience as a christian and values.

Posted October 22, 2009

St. Columba is a diverse community that is steeped in academics and a healthy spiritual foundation. Our children leave with a strong sense of self and morality. They are able to compete at any Independent or Catholic High School. St. Columba ready your kids for the culturally diverse world.

Posted October 22, 2009

It's the best school this side of heaven! I have been a parent for 11 years and never seen anything like the love, leadership,commitment,integrity,and nuturing provided by the faculty to the students. I am not catholic but the values and morals taught daily are fantastic. There is nothing in my humbleopinion like a St. Columba Catholic education. The young women and men that are produced from our school go on to do be outstanding individuals, well grounded in christian roots, and love of God and self.

Asian 28% N/A
Two or more races 20% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Washington

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

7800 Livingston Rd