Hereford High School

Public | 9-12

Posted June 24, 2013

As a current student, I can testify to the strength and quality of the education I have received over the past three years. I have been challenged in many of my classes, and in instances where my classmates were falling behind and I had a desire to go beyond the curricula, my teachers gave me that opportunity. Both the faculty and the administration truly care about students here, and I couldn't have been happier in that regard. My education, however, is not without its flaws. Hereford has a remarkable lack of diversity, and the vast majority of my classmates seem blithely unaware of the social and economic problems that exist in our society. Students don't see the value of diversity and different perspectives. I don't think students are "globally competitive" if they can't look at someone who is different than they and truly view them with equal standing. Moreover, many of the teachers disregard this problem, and that discourages minority students. Other high-achieving BCPS schools are far better in this regard. Overall, it's a great school and I received a wonderful education, but there are serious cultural problems here.

Posted January 8, 2012

If you are planning to move to the Baltimore area, try to find a location in the Hereford Zone in Northern Baltimore County so your students can attend Hereford High School. They will receive a top notch education in a beautiful rural location with lots of opportunities available locally and in the very nearby Baltimore metro area. My husband and all three sons attended Hereford, so I can personally attest to all of the above!

Posted May 31, 2010

Hereford is one of the best I absolutely love my students there. They are so kind, polite, and especially smart. I have seen so many of my students go on to top colleges and succeed so well in whatever they chose to do.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 18, 2010

I have been to schools all over the county and without a doubt, this is the best high school in the county and possibly even the state. Even as a sub teacher, I have never had a single problem student. School building is old and needs some work but the spirit within is THE model for every other school in the country.

Posted June 17, 2009

I am not only a parent of a HHS graduate but I myself graduated from there in 1978. My daughter graduated in 2006 and will be starting her senior year of college in the fall. I feel too that HHS is a great school because it has constantly had students that scored high on the SAT's. It is a unique school and has always excelled in sports too. Tracy

Posted June 9, 2009

I taught at HHS most of my career. You just can't beat the students, community and staff.

Posted March 6, 2009

I went to Hereford High School and I graduated in 2005. I love the teachers and staff because they really prepared me for college. I was more prepaired than most of the private school students.

Posted December 28, 2008

I went to Hereford High and now my 2 sons go there. It truly is a Private public school. After I graduated I moved away for college and once I got married and had children I had to move back, I would'nt have my kids going anywhere else. They are doing awesome in school and are prepared for college with out a doubt! In the next 2 years they will both be out of HS and on there own in college. The parents are nice and classy as well as the students. If you ever want a great school with amazing teachers students and SPORTS get your kids to Hereford. Another perk it's a very pretty school beautiful location and beautiful people!

Posted December 5, 2007

My husband went to HHS and so do my two boys. My oldest just started at Stanford, and commented how well his teachers at HHS prepared him for college. He took many AP courses at HHS, and enjoyed them all, especially his classmates. My son went from HHS to upperclass courses at Stanford with no problems at all. He also fits in well with the Calif culture and the diverse kids on campus. My younger son is loving the athletic program and the commitment of the teaching staff to the kids at school. I only wish he was taking advantage of the great music program as well. We feel very fortunate to live in the 'Hereford Zone'.

Posted October 26, 2007

im a student at hereford hiqh, it's pretty fun and all just too much drama. and the principals and assiant principals are really on your tail. see ima freshman, class of 2011 and they follow me 24/7. it's crazyyy. there really strict, and they don't give me many second chances. but they give us a qreat educationn.

Posted August 22, 2007

I am a current student at Hereford High, and I love every second I'm there! The teachers are amazing; they really listen to what you say and assist you if you have a problem or need help reviewing some of the material. All together it's an outstanding school!

Posted November 19, 2006

I am a student at Hereford High School. I am in my senior year and couldn't be happier. The opportunities that I have received have been amazing. We were one of the first schools to offer AP World History in the tenth grade. Because of all the opportunities for AP courses in school I already have a semester worth of college credits without ever having been to college. It's set me up for success including scholarships and an overall lead. The teachers are excellent and the 4 period day allows us to get 4 extra credits in addition to an hour during the day devoted to clubs. The enrichment hour is valuable especially since colleges look at extra curricular activities.

Posted September 26, 2006

Hereford is a great High School in a great Area. My oldest child graduated from Hereford in 2006. She got into a great College in North Carolina and told me thanks to Hereford, 'I feel really prepared for College.' She said many students were struggling with the long college classes which many are 1 hr 15 minutes (75 minutes), but she was just fine because she had 90 minute classes at Hereford! She really had a chance to explore career paths at Hereford too. Great High School, along with a great Middle School! Go Bulls!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted January 4, 2006

Wonderful school! Our kids got a rigorous course of study in math and science. Music is also a standout program. We encountered many outstanding teachers, a small handful of mediocre teachers and zero bad teachers there over the years. Most of the kids there are polite and high achieving. We love HHS!

Posted April 6, 2005

Hereford high school is concidered the private public school in maryland.They offer AP classes so your child gets a head start in college.It has an almost zero drop out rate. They have all kinds of scollarship programs and help your child get into college A++++ high school.

Grade level

Algebra

The state average for Algebra was 84% in 2013.

332 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2013.

347 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 83% in 2013.

352 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Maryland used the Maryland High School Assessments (HSA) to test students in English 2, Algebra, and Biology upon completion of each course. The HSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. Students are required to pass the tests in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Source: Maryland State Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 6%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Robotics/Technology specialist(s)

• Band
Performing arts
  • Dance
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

17301 York Rd