Chesapeake High School

Public | 9-12 | 1774 students

Sweep tile

Posted February 8, 2014

Chesapeake is a great school. I'm in my junior year as of right now. I really only a few complaints. Most of the bathrooms are horrible because people smoke in them and they usually aren't caught in the act, and I know this isn't the schools fault but it is absolutely horrible. I only use the bathroom in the FACS department because of this. Honors and AP classes are pushed way too harshly on students. Honors classes have basically become standard; I'll look around and wonder why some of these people are in my class. Also AP classes are pushed and pushed on us to take, and if you drop back down to honors you're told that it will look bad. Even though I am not truly AP material I've been put in and signed up for more APs. Even though I complain about this, most of my teachers have given me a great education, and I've also been able to connect with so many of my teachers. Drazan is a wonderful principal! He cares so much about the student body. I couldn't ask for a better principal.

Posted December 8, 2013

This school is AA County's best kept secret. CHS is among Anne Arundel's top 4 high schools and is ranked by US News among The Nation's Best Schools. However, by comparison to the other top schools in the county, CHS not as political and clique oriented and because family values are important in the area, CHS has far fewer problems with drinking, drugs, and other disciplinary issues. With grace and a calm demeanor, Principal Drazen sets the overall tone. He's always friendly, respectful, and willing to listen to and consider input from parents and students. This school is a "well oiled machine" that offers the best of all worlds for an excellent education in Anne Arundel County.

Posted October 3, 2013

C.H.S. has an outstanding Music Program and Dance Program. Talented performing arts students that attend C.H.S. have access to extremely talented and engaging teachers. Students are given many opportunities both inside and outside of school to further master their art form. Talented students from this school have performed in county, state, regional, and even National/ Worldwide competitions and conferences. If you're looking for a public school with a fantastic performing arts program, C.H.S. is the school for you.

Posted November 19, 2012

I graduated from this school years ago and our son just graduted from CHS this past year. The teachers at this school are top-notch; they challenge the students to do their best and foster a learning environment where the students who want to succeed will succeed. I read a review where the commenter stated if you want your child to go on to a 4 year college, don't send them here. Not sure if this is because the teachings at CHS were not reinforced at home or what. I am went on to a 4 year, then received a graduate degree and our son is attending UMBC. Ultimately, the success of the student at this level lies in that student's hands, however, they are given a great foundation at CHS and are encouraged to make the most of their education..

Posted August 17, 2012

this is the worst school i have ever been too becaeuse... IT WAS SOOOOOO AWESOMEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or was it???
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 2, 2011

The school offers alot of oppurtunity. If you want your child to go to a four year university do not send them here. Send them to Broadneck, South River, or Severna Park. Chesapeake is infamous for sending too many students to Anne Arundel Community College, alot of students don't even shoot for four year programs becasue community college is so accepted in the area. Alot of the students that go away to four year leave after a year or a semester since Pasadena gives them the cushion to not be judged and it be okay. Their is No diversity at all, if you want a well rounded student send them to Arundel High School. The only sport you should send your child to school for is Cheerleading, Softball, or Golf. The principal is new, and has new rules where some are positive and some are not. The graduation is at the school, it has always been and every year it is miserable. You sit in a gym and burn up because every year it happens to rain. I don't know when they learn. The graduation is also really tacky where people wear gym clothes to the ceremony. The administration staff is great and they'll look out for you if you give them respect. Hard work pays off in this school.

Posted April 8, 2011

I am currently a student at CHS. You make many relationships with friends and teachers that will last. Anyone can complain about a certain teacher but overall I have no complaints. Lunches are alright (could be better) but that's my own personal opinion. I now bring my own lunch based upon what I prefer to eat. I'm going to be a sophomore next year and you are greatly encouraged by teachers and administrators to take AP and honors classes. They want you to work to your full potential. Mr. Drazen (principal) is a fair guy and wants what we all want, a school to run smoothly. Yes, there are some negatives such as some of the troublemakers that attend there. I don't like the i5 program... Those students get away with almost everything in terms of what they can say and when they can leave class. This is just a statewide program though and we can only alter it so much. Overall, Chesapeake is a great school.

Posted October 11, 2010

It is the 4th best public high school in AA. Severna Park South River Broadneck Chesapeake

Posted February 10, 2009

Both of my sons are recent graduates of Chesapeake 2005 & 2008, this is the best school that Anne Arundel County has to offer. My fought me about choosing this school but are both glad I did.

Posted January 13, 2009

I go here and I love it! It's an amazing school!

Posted October 8, 2008

Let us remember the apple does not fall from the tree. The teachers are there to teach not to raise your children. The education is wonderful and the staff is a great team.

Posted October 5, 2008

The Principal and teachers are great! They are very involved in the future of our children. Mr. Gimon is a excellent Special Ed. Teacher.

Posted June 17, 2008

Becuase the bathrooms are really dirty so dirty I wouldent even wash my hands in there...

Posted March 13, 2008

The AP teachers are fabulous at CHS - I've had great experiences in every department. The teachers of advanced courses are by and large very available, understanding, and passionate about what they do. Over the past few years, there have been issues with the new principal, who tends to make decisions without consulting the teachers and students first. But I'm going to graduate this year, and I feel that I've gotten a great, well-rounded education at this school.

Posted July 25, 2007

I Believe the leadership is the best in this county. As a paerent I see just what the teachers and administration has to deal with. Maybe some parents need to come and see for themselves how their children act during the day.

Posted June 13, 2007

Mr. Harry Calender was a much better principal, and we didnt need a slogan to summarize what we stood for at our school. Also the CHS music program doesnt receive any funding at all. Also the Stage in our auditorium is in horrible shape, the piano The chorus teacher uses is 30 years old, the Band needs new snare and bass drums, and thats note to mention the curtain in the auditorium which is from the 70's.

Posted November 28, 2006

Although this school gets a bad rap, my son has made honor roll for 2 years, he did worse in private school, it was a shock for him at first, but then he just took off, he is very active now, lost weight, has made some wonderful drug free friends, not to mention his depression has lifted from when he was in private. Despite the fact that there are some trouble makers in this school, it has been a great experience for my child. Even the 'best' private schools also have their share of incidents.If your child wants to learn, they will learn wherever they are.

Posted June 3, 2005

Personally, I am an alumni of CHS. My daughter now goes there. I had a good experience attending this school, and she has had a tremendous one. She has learned more in her one year of attending than my husband learned in all 4 years of high school. The classes are very work-oriented, almost all the teachers are willing to take as long as they have to in order to help even just one student, and the classes are in blocks which greatly improve how much can be taken in during a period. I would recommend this school to anyone, and will continue to allow all my children to go there.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 1, 2005

I heavily disagree with the parent from January 2005. Being a 'Special Ed' student I know for a fact that the children have greater and heavy consiquences for our actions; further more the same problem with your child flows both ways. I found myself being picked on because of my hair and personal choice of looks by the 'Regular Ed' kids, just because I was in 'Special Ed' the other teachers seemed to just shrug it off. I also found the way any and all of the administrative handled situations in the school appauling; even when a teacher did step fourth to help with a student the administraitors would also shrug that off, I heavily recomend you get your facts straight before accusing 'Special Ed' kids getting 'Special Treatment'. I rate the administrative staff very low in their ability to do thier jobs. The teachers do a splendid job.

Posted February 12, 2005

I teach at CHS. Students who do well are in honors and AP classes or have continual parent backing and support. We have many dedicated teachers who love teaching, but we need parent support and involvement also. Teachers want parents involved in their child's education, to see what they do right and wrong. Specific: I have a student who is failing, I have tried every number I can locate to reach the parent; calls are never returned. I have several parents I exchange e-mails with on a regular basis, their children do well, are fun to teach, and do their work; they are learning. In our county teacher complaints go nowhere, parents are heard immediately. Parents do make a difference.
—Submitted by a teacher

Grade level

Algebra

The state average for Algebra was 84% in 2013.

374 students were tested at this school in 2013.

>=95%

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2013.

379 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 83% in 2013.

383 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Maryland used the Maryland High School Assessments (HSA) to test students in English 2, Algebra, and Biology upon completion of each course. The HSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. Students are required to pass the tests in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Source: Maryland State Department of Education

Asian 1% 6%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 14%N/A40%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Security personnel
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4798 Mountain Rd