Bad
Good

We have been at this school for 3 years and both of my children have excelled. I feel like they are safe as the school is tucked away in the woods and off of the main roads.

This is my daughters 2nd full year and she is in the 4th grade. I have been very pleased with the school. They make me feel safe by always making sure to have everyone identify themselves prior to entering the building. They plan fun events and everyone I have come into contact with has been very personable and I LOVE the principal!

We had our son in Gibson Island last year. While Gibson Island was a great school and provided for the needs of my son, we are more impressed by the staffing, resources and outcome Fort Smallwood has made in our son. Our son is in Kindergarten. Only 16 children in his class. His teachers, the aids and assistants are wonderful. The principal, Mr. Johnson is the best with both parents and students. All of the faculty and staff are responsive to the questions and suggestions my husband and I have brought to them. Even down to the bus driver. Until this year, I was a die hard private school mom all the way. I have nothing but great things to say when it comes to Fort Smallwood. The leadership, communication and level of genuine compassion for the students far surpass any private school in the area.

I am extremely pleased with Fort Smallwood Elementary. My son had previously attended a private school for the two years prior to enrolling at FSE and we are happy with his progress. We were fearful that he would be bored since he had attended a private school and we were told by the private school that he would stagnate in a public school. Well to our delight, he is in the Gifted and Talented program and is also given extra projects, essays, and reports to embelish on what he is already learning in class. His teacher recognized his aptitude immediately and made an effort to not only help him to feel comfortable in a new school but also encouraged him to be a part of extracurricular activities such as the Chessie program (60 books read & counting) . Our son loves his school and that makes us content as his parents.

This school as above average if your child is well behaved. I have two children in this school. I have never had any problems with my daughter. My son is a very intelligent boy but is a boy. He is very active and likes to be involved in everything. The teachers at this school are very good but if they find a child that does not fit the mold they want they just give up and label him instead of assisting. They do not try to channel a child in ways that will assist them rather just label them. I hope this was just my experience last year and it will be different this year. And yes they need to let more parents into classrooms. Last year we were shut out of the classes, their class parties and field trips.

The teachers are great but their is no parent support nor do they act like they want us to be involved.... My other children attend another school and parents are welcomed whenever they want. Parents should and do have the right to go into their child's classroom at anytime as long as they check in with the office first.

This is a very small school. Teachers are very caring and there is a gifted and talented program. School lacks a lot of parental involvement.

Last modified Fort Smallwood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.