2-12|Private

Bad
Good

An outstanding diverse school that values art, academics, and athletics. My three children have THRIVED in this caring and challenging community for 7 years. The new building (with STEM, entrepreneurship,and theatre focus) will place Bullis School well ahead of other comparable institutions in this area. We love this school!!!

Bullis is a terrific and under-rated school with a socioeconomically, ethnically and racially diverse student body with diverse interests. Although I would prefer less emphasis on sports and more on academics, the school boasts a cadre of very strong and motivated students. My 9th grader had some strong teachers in middle school, with the occasional weak instructor. The school could use stronger math teachers, for example. There is also a contingent of the student body and parents with a strong sense of entitlement, but that is true at local public schools as well. I have seen greater socioeconomic diversity at Bullis than at our local public school cluster, which is a plus. The school is in an expansionary phase--in terms of the student body size, programs, and quality of instruction--but class sizes remain small, and balance is still the school motto.

My son is returning for his second year at Bullis, 8th grade. We recently completed the school search and found Bullis to have one of the best well- rounded, balanced programs. It is academically challenging, has small classes, the ability to chose electives or clubs, along with a strong varied sports program. We have found that the teachers are real caring and their communications have been wonderful. Bullis is also prepping students for the future with the STEM and Entrepreneur programs throughout the grades. Bullis has been a wonderful choice and community!

My experience at Bullis has been incredible and I would happily recommend the school to any parent or student. Their new Entrepreneurship and Capstone programs are unrivaled and I am confident that they will continue to grow, especially with the new building that will contain state of the art technology for both STEM and Entrepreneurship. I personally have learned to build a business and been provided all the tools to persist through hard times and learn to get answers for problems I don't know. I've been introduced to incredible business connections and been provided with a very well established board of advisers for my growing company. Since the Entrepreneurship program wants students to be successful, all legal documents and work done is put in the name of the students, so we can continue the business after school and build a company. My team and I have decided to carry on and have even secured a deal with a minor league baseball team! I have also played football and ice hockey at bullis and sung in the choir. Bullis allows students to pursue any interest and all teachers are available afterschool and during study halls.

I love Bullis! I have two children who love their school and are being challenged and stretched academically. And they know their teachers care. The teachers stay on top of their progress and communicate any concerns immediately. Couldn't ask for a better group of teachers!

This is the third year our children have attended Bullis. We are so pleased with the academic environment and a focus on learning, not just memorization and fact regurgitation. They are extremely well prepared for college not just because of the academics, but also because the Bullis community recognizes how important it is to help children grow as people. The faculty and staff understand the importance of building character and developing well-rounded individuals who are eager to be a part of and contribute to their community AND the world beyond. It really does take a village to raise caring, intelligent, responsible citizens and we are grateful to have the Bullis "village" for our children.

I love teaching at Bullis! My colleagues and I stop at nothing to make sure our students are engaged, happy, and learning at the highest levels. Our Head of School knows exactly what good instruction should look and feel like. He sets the bar very high, but provides terrific professional development opportunities. The respect, camaraderie and generosity among the teachers is transferred directly to the student experiences. Students give us their best because they know we respect and care for them. I've taught in several places and know that no school is perfect, but Bullis is pretty close to it!

Bullis is becoming way to big and everything is about football and sports. THere is no homework and learning

I am a parent of a rising 10th grader who started at Bullis as a 9th grader. Our child started middle school at another 'top' VA private school. Our child has learning differences (dyslexia) and we were not happy with our treatment at the other private school. Bullis has been wonderful! The teachers and administration have been top notch. The school as a whole works together so that every child can reach their potential. Bullis does a wonderful job meeting each child's level of education as well as encouraging the arts and sports. For our child it has been the perfect blend of what high school should be. We are also driving from Virginia to have our child attend school at Bullis. While I wish it was down the street, it is worth the extra effort. After the poor experience that we had at our prior school and the amazing treatment we have had at Bullis I would give Bullis 10 stars if I could.

I am a parent of a current Bullis student and we hope that our younger child will join the community next year. Bullis seems to be "on a roll." Enrollment numbers are up, the campus looks beautiful, the quality of the teachers has increased, and all of the extracurriculars are excellent. My son is currently plays on two sports teams and is a musician. He loves his coaches and his band instructor is incredible. The teachers really care about each and every student and are very communicative with the parents. The head of school, now in his second year, is enthusiastic, forward thinking, and knows every child by name. The new academic center is lovely and provides support to a range of students. I think that the English and Social Studies departments are particularly strong. The school is very diverse, with students coming from DC, Virginia, Prince Georges, Frederick, and of course Potomac. There is a sizeable international student body as well. I think this school deserves a close look by any families considering private education.

Last modified The Bullis School is a Private school that serves grades 2-12