No rating

Our Lady Of Mercy School

Private | K-8

Living in Potomac

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $805,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,550.

Posted today

You feel a great sense of community at Mercy. The children are taught to take care of each other and that service is just as important as academics. The teachers are truly vested in your child's education. Every 8th grader last year got into their first choice for high school. I know that my child will be well prepared for high school. I know they will make friends that will have long after they graduate. All the 7th and 8th grade students have a google chrome book to work with. The lower grades also have access to laptops and chrome books. This isn't like the old catholic schools you might think of from the past. They are very current in understanding what is best for each child and how to get them to understand the material. The children have recess twice a day, gym 2 times a week in the lower school and 3 times in Middle school. They understand the importance of getting the kids out and moving.

Posted February 27, 2014

Mercy has a great balance of technology and teacher base learning. Math and science books are online, students projects use simulations, research and creative problem solving websites. My 1st grade son video conferenced with a biologist as he took apart owl pelets. The 6th graders talked about their faith with students in India! Computer lab, interactive whiteboards, labtops, clickers....

Posted October 27, 2013

We were really excited to have our daughter join this school in first grade. By the second grade, we realized we had made a serious mistake. It turns out that Montgomery County schools are way ahead of this school from an academic standpoint. We have pulled her out and enrolled her in a Potomac elementary school which has been far more challenging for her with a much more engaging cirriculum. I also agree with other reviewers that this community is very clicky and is far from welcoming of new families. We were very disappointed with the experience.

Posted October 13, 2013

Mercy is a wonderful place to learn. I love the sense of community that was missing in our neighborhood public school. The students have "prayer partners", which builds a strong bond between the older and younger students. The school has great opportunities for service to the community. The teachers are extremely kind and supportive. My older child is learning wonderful organizational skills as she is being prepped for middle school. While the educational style is more on the traditional side, there is an emphasis on the basics; handwriting, written composition and grammar that are lacking in the public school curriculum. Mercy is the full package, community and strong academics.

Posted January 21, 2013

Mercy is a great school!! I am amazed at the dedication and talent of the teachers. They have big classes but divide into small groups for teaching every day. And they have an inclusion program and educational extension program, too, so they support and challenge all students. They motivate the children with a crazy and fun reading challenge every year and have many other activities the children love. My three children love their school!

Posted September 11, 2012

This school offers extremely traditional, worksheet-based teaching of decades ago with a very large homework load (also worksheet-based). It offers a limited menu of after school activities with little emphasis on art. The classroom sizes are large and there is little to no attention paid to discovering individual differences, talents, or needs. There is a definitive difference in the way some children are treated based on parental involvement in school functions.

Posted April 6, 2012

The largely Catholic community at this school is extremely wealthy. My son had another student visit who told him our basketball hoop was a piece of crap. Most students' families belong to country clubs in the Bethesda/Potomac area. I will let you decide if you think this school is for you.

Posted May 23, 2011

I love this school! All four of my boys currently attend ranging from 3rd to eighth grade. My oldest is graduating this year. My children's teachers love their students! They build wonderful relationships with the kids. My children come home and talk about the teachers all the time. There is also an incredible priest who is very active in the daily life of the students. You can see him greeting the children in the mornings. He truly knows each student. I think that is so important in a Catholic school. Great families! The parents really support one another. The academics are challenging. Many parents probably cannot imagine what it takes to run a school There are great leadership qualities and moral values being taught. I am proud to say Mercy is our school!

Posted April 3, 2011

Bullying is tolerated in this school. My son had to leave this school because of the intense level of bullying and the lack of action taken by teachers and administrators. If the bully's parent is a large donor, you can be assured no action will be taken against the bully. Hard to believe this is a Christian community.

Posted October 9, 2010

I am the parent of 3 children who all attend Mercy. They differ in their social and academic needs yet all of their needs are being met due to the dedication of Mercy's teachers and Principal. Each of my children feels supported and encouraged and are building not only the academic skills they will need, but also a sense of confidence and self esteem that will enable them to be happy and productive. I really can't express my gratitude to the teachers who constantly go beyond what is expected of them in order to give our kids such an exceptional school.

Posted September 9, 2010

We have just entered our 8th year at Mercy and couldn't be happier. My children have thrived both academically and socially. The teachers are great and while the classes may be large at @32 they break down the important subjects such as reading and math into smaller teaching groups. Very effective!

Posted September 9, 2010

I'm a student at Our Lady of Mercy and I LOVE it! Mercy really helps me express myself in my academics and with my friends and teachers. The Mercy teachers have a good way of teaching and explaining everything to us, on a level that we will understand. I attended a public school beforehand and I can tell you that Mercy is every bit as challenging but a much more loving and nurturing environment where every student is embraced. I am always excited to go to school when I wake up in the morning. At this school everyone knows everyones name, and the teachers are true proffesionals. I also love Mercy because all of the teachers, in every subject, make school fun!

Posted September 9, 2010

I am a student at Mercy and I am very happy at this school. I have been going to Our Lady of Mercy since Kindergarten and just started my 8th year. I really like all my teachers, enjoy my classes, and have made a lot of good friends. I can't imagine myself going to any other school because Mercy is just a ton of fun. The academics and teachers are preparing me for high school very well.

Posted February 15, 2009

Although this school had a staff of wonderful administrators and teachers, the community of parents is a hard one to break into. It tends to be clickey and materialistic.

Posted December 11, 2008

This school is wonderful. As a student, I've learned so much information and have grown to become a mature teenager. I know as a student, you probably expect me to hate school. Well, I dislike it extremely, but I wouldn't want to go to another school around the ares. Its the best one for me.
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 11, 2006

My child has been at this Blue Ribbon award winning school for 4 years. It is an outstanding private Catholic School. Graduates have been accepted by top private high schools in the area.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 6%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • CEC
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Washington

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

9222 Kentsdale Drive