Potomac, MD

Our Lady Of Mercy School 1

Posted November 04, 2014
The education here is substandard compared to even our pubic schools in Potomac. I pulled my son out of this school because he was being mistreated (nice word for bullied). The teachers and administration were completely useless in dealing with the issue. There is no diversity whatsoever and little opportunity for a child to fit in. My son continued his education at Wayside/Hoover and has flourished mainly because the the fact the schools are more inclusive and the academics challenging enough so he wouldn't be bored and overworked with tedious busywork. Another thing to keep in mind is that this school advertises their "inclusive program," and I can tell you they are far from inclusive. Their approach to dealing with kids with learning disabilities or ADHD is "make sure they take their meds," direct quote from the principal. After one year in the public school, my son was off his ADHD meds and has excelled beyond my expectations. He was at a huge disadvantage in this school and still talks about the bullying experience he had here. On a positive note, it built his compassion for kids who don't fit in, but it breaks my heart that he had to go through that for two years.

Posted September 19, 2014
You feel a great sense of community at Mercy. The children are taught to take care of each other and that service is just as important as academics. The teachers are truly vested in your child's education. Every 8th grader last year got into their first choice for high school. I know that my child will be well prepared for high school. I know they will make friends that will have long after they graduate. All the 7th and 8th grade students have a google chrome book to work with. The lower grades also have access to laptops and chrome books. This isn't like the old catholic schools you might think of from the past. They are very current in understanding what is best for each child and how to get them to understand the material. The children have recess twice a day, gym 2 times a week in the lower school and 3 times in Middle school. They understand the importance of getting the kids out and moving.

Posted February 27, 2014
Mercy has a great balance of technology and teacher base learning. Math and science books are online, students projects use simulations, research and creative problem solving websites. My 1st grade son video conferenced with a biologist as he took apart owl pelets. The 6th graders talked about their faith with students in India! Computer lab, interactive whiteboards, labtops, clickers....

Posted October 13, 2013
Mercy is a wonderful place to learn. I love the sense of community that was missing in our neighborhood public school. The students have "prayer partners", which builds a strong bond between the older and younger students. The school has great opportunities for service to the community. The teachers are extremely kind and supportive. My older child is learning wonderful organizational skills as she is being prepped for middle school. While the educational style is more on the traditional side, there is an emphasis on the basics; handwriting, written composition and grammar that are lacking in the public school curriculum. Mercy is the full package, community and strong academics.

Posted January 21, 2013
Mercy is a great school!! I am amazed at the dedication and talent of the teachers. They have big classes but divide into small groups for teaching every day. And they have an inclusion program and educational extension program, too, so they support and challenge all students. They motivate the children with a crazy and fun reading challenge every year and have many other activities the children love. My three children love their school!

Our Lady Of Mercy School 2

Posted September 11, 2012
This school offers extremely traditional, worksheet-based teaching of decades ago with a very large homework load (also worksheet-based). It offers a limited menu of after school activities with little emphasis on art. The classroom sizes are large and there is little to no attention paid to discovering individual differences, talents, or needs. There is a definitive difference in the way some children are treated based on parental involvement in school functions.

Posted May 23, 2011
I love this school! All four of my boys currently attend ranging from 3rd to eighth grade. My oldest is graduating this year. My children's teachers love their students! They build wonderful relationships with the kids. My children come home and talk about the teachers all the time. There is also an incredible priest who is very active in the daily life of the students. You can see him greeting the children in the mornings. He truly knows each student. I think that is so important in a Catholic school. Great families! The parents really support one another. The academics are challenging. Many parents probably cannot imagine what it takes to run a school There are great leadership qualities and moral values being taught. I am proud to say Mercy is our school!

Posted October 09, 2010
I am the parent of 3 children who all attend Mercy. They differ in their social and academic needs yet all of their needs are being met due to the dedication of Mercy's teachers and Principal. Each of my children feels supported and encouraged and are building not only the academic skills they will need, but also a sense of confidence and self esteem that will enable them to be happy and productive. I really can't express my gratitude to the teachers who constantly go beyond what is expected of them in order to give our kids such an exceptional school.

Posted September 09, 2010
We have just entered our 8th year at Mercy and couldn't be happier. My children have thrived both academically and socially. The teachers are great and while the classes may be large at @32 they break down the important subjects such as reading and math into smaller teaching groups. Very effective!

Posted September 09, 2010
I'm a student at Our Lady of Mercy and I LOVE it! Mercy really helps me express myself in my academics and with my friends and teachers. The Mercy teachers have a good way of teaching and explaining everything to us, on a level that we will understand. I attended a public school beforehand and I can tell you that Mercy is every bit as challenging but a much more loving and nurturing environment where every student is embraced. I am always excited to go to school when I wake up in the morning. At this school everyone knows everyones name, and the teachers are true proffesionals. I also love Mercy because all of the teachers, in every subject, make school fun!

Our Lady Of Mercy School
9222 Kentsdale Drive, Potomac, MD  20854
Last modified Our Lady Of Mercy School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Our Lady Of Mercy School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top