1-12|Private

Bad
Good

Handles bullying effectively: Disagree

There is no clear and stated policy on bullying that is readily available to parents to understand how this is investigated or prevented.

Supports LD students: Neutral

If your child needs minimal differentiation and can function pretty independently, your child will be fine there in my opinion. Having a child who needs more structure and collaboration, I have had 50% of his teachers truly make an effort to work with us and our child to increase his academic outcomes. I would love to truly see the website's mantra scrolling at the bottom: K12 College Preparatory School Supporting Bright Students Individual Learning Styles. I don't see it and it borders on discriminative based on what you perceive as bright and your judgement of what individual learning styles are.

Effective school leaders: Disagree

I am still unclear about the actual policies and structures of enforcement for teachers and students. If the question are they effective, I would disagree at this point. There need to be more clear and transparent to the community structures around all areas of administration for the expectations of parents and students.

Develops character: Neutral

They need to practice and model what they preach. Its not enough to have a brochure or a website that says we are caring and supportive if in reality there are more often than not instances where their practice does not meet their preaching.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

I would say based on the teachers my child has had and does have now the percentage is 50/50. The ones who are effective are highly effective because the truly appear to understand and make an effort to work with the unique abilities of their students and it shows in their collaboration with parents and fair assessments in grading. While others inefficient planning, instructing and collaboration demonstrates a less effective way to determine if they even understand the school or students the school 'claims' they are sensitive to.

Amount of homework: Neutral

There is a lack of consistency on what the true expectations of homework are. All teachers are monitoring homework differently. Some teachers are highly efficient with working with students on homework and it is truly reflective of content taught prior to assigning while others are teaching very little in content and expecting homework to be an additional teacher vs. enforcing what was taught.

Being a parent for the second year of a student here, I would be remiss if I did not say my son loves the school as much as a 12 year old could but this would be based more on the social relationships he has formed with students who are very much like him and feeling a level of comfort in this. Being in the world of education myself, I am concerned that there is a disparity that exists at this school that I have experienced and in sharp contrast to the many reviews they give you at meetings and website that preaches differentiation and sensitivity. They need to re-visit their approaches to ensure that they are a staff that practices what they preach by ensuring ALL teachers have clearer expectations and their policies are more efficiently structured and enforced. The administration needs to also look at how they appear and interact with the school community to ensure they are living and modeling the expectations of students. Actually consider parent feedback and engage parents who have left this 'prestigious' school for what you could do better.

Amount of homework: Disagree

There was never enough home work and the homework was always to easy and it was always not enough because they would only give you 20 minutes worth of homework

I was bullied for two years straight and the principal and teachers did nothing until my parents threatened to sue. I never want to go back, thanks to one girl who bullied everyone in my grade. Thanks to that school, I had fear of going to school and talking to people. Also they never taught any other ways for kids with learning disabilities. It's a waste of money, public school better in my opinion.

This has been the best year of school for my children . I could not ask for more from a school . McLean has given my children a family environment where they learn . It's like a big family . When my children are sick they insist on going to school . It's a nurturing environment . They look at a child for who they are and nourish them and guide them and bring the best out of each of them . I could not ask for more ! McLean school of Maryland , I give you a ten out of ten . A perfect score !! Thank you !

Last modified McLean School of Maryland is a Private school that serves grades 1-12