Potomac, MD

Posted October 23, 2014
Excellent school. My daughter has a 504 plan and every accommodation has been accomplished so far (she has been there from K to 4th so far). The Principal is compassionate and very Professional. Cold Spring staff make a great team, everyone is efficient, professional and friendly. Kids work hard. It is a positive and nourishing environment with high level of academic performance. My daughter is not part of the GT and we love the regular program. Her 4th grade teacher is exceptional as every other teacher that she has had at CSES. Our little daughter has had the same teachers as the oldest and her experience has been extraordinary as well.

Posted September 28, 2014
We have a middle-schooler who went K-5 at Cold Spring ES, and now have two siblings currently attending. We bought into the area specifically for this school and have no regrets. The Gifted and Talented Program kids do tend to stick to themselves, although the students in regular classes who score high enough in reading or math will share some curricula. Principal is great, of course some of the teachers were much more effective than others, but overall we are very pleased with CSES. Understand that this could be the only ES in the district (I'm frankly not sure) that has only single-family homes in the immediate area that feed into the school. (The exception is the GT folks.) I know parents who go to somewhat extreme measures get their kid to go here. We love the tight-knit community, great parental involvement, active PTA and volunteers, and caring environment.

Cold Spring Elementary School 2

Posted May 30, 2014
We moved into the neighborhood based on the school ratings and were disappointed. My children had bad experiences with a couple of teachers. The culture of the school seems to focus primarily on the "gifted" program. If you have a child with any learning differences or special needs, stay far, far away! The best decision we ever made was to remove our children from this toxic environment because they are now thriving in their new elementary school.

Posted June 22, 2013
I attended Cold Spring Elementary School for 4th and 5th Grade to take part in the Gifted and Talented Program. I have now graduated from one of the top high schools in the nation and I attribute a lot of my success to the great teachers I had at Cold Spring. They made learning interactive and fun. We dissected pig's eyes, put on a science-based Model United Nations, learned Latin and put on a only slightly abridged (it was in the original language and still almost 2 hours long) Shakespeare play. You cannot go wrong with Cold Spring, whether you take part in the Gifted and Talented program or not.

Posted March 10, 2011
Best school I have seen so far (having 5 kids I have seen MANY schools). And it's best school becasue it has BEST (by far) principal. The principal DOES love kids (compare to many principals who likes to be high ranked ADMINISTRATOR). The principal participates in daily school life (read below about DAILY meeting kids outside in carpool lane rain or shine). The principal DOES not sit around in his office - he works there - and he shares what he does with kids: every kid has a chance to be a "assistance principal" for a day - go through entire school day with principal (including lunch out!). The stuff is excelent. From time-to-time the school gets a teacher who has issues, but such teacher does not last more than a year. (I don't know how the principal makes such teachers to go, but he does it well). Get to this school! *if you can afford housing in the area :)

Posted October 19, 2010
Absolutely excellent school. I have 3 kids in elementary school at Cold Spring. It's an experience you would be willing to pay for. The facilities are old. The classrooms are open (who ever thought that was a good idea?!) but you simply cannot beat the exellence of the teaching staff. There are a few that are just OK but the large majority are phenomenal teachers that have been teaching for decades are still enthusiastic and LOVE teaching, LOVE being at CS, are entirely engaged and incredibly good at what they do. It's enough to make a parent incredibly thankful. No gym stinks (but wea gettin one). Yes, we paid for the small playground. Large K class stinks but still I would never trade.

Posted April 26, 2010

Posted October 02, 2009
It's small and everyone knows each other--very 'neighborhoody'

Posted October 01, 2009
Cold Spring is a school with a warm and friendly atmosphere, wonderful teachers, and a high rate of parent involvement.

Posted September 30, 2009
Cold Spring Elementary School is the best school! It is by MD assessments and how wonderful staff is. How about principal helping kids out from cars in car pool during sun, rain and snow! We came from private school - I never saw director outside, in car pool line!

Cold Spring Elementary School
9201 Falls Chapel Way, Potomac, MD  20854
Last modified Cold Spring Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cold Spring Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top