Potomac, MD
Students enrolled: 2,085

Winston Churchill High School 4

Posted November 09, 2014
I am currently a junior at Churchill and im not very satisfied with it. Obviously it is technically the best academic public school in the state, but there are many downsides to it as well. The school is very inconsistent. You either have a great teacher who is very open to helping students, or you have a stubborn, ignorant and untalented teacher. But one of the largest problems at Churchill is the amount of homework give. I know I may be whining, but as 2 sport varsity athlete (Football and track) and an active member in many clubs, the homework given is just too much. On a good day, I might go to sleep at 10:30 pm, doing hw from the time I arrive home. Thats during the spring, when I have no sports. But during fall and winter where many people participate in sports, teachers dont even consider your well being and assign alot of hw. With all the homework and extra cirriculars, many students are caused to sleep late, (12 pm - 2pm) and be really stressed out. The school also has a poor athletic base, with very little athletes and people dedicated to their sports.

Winston Churchill High School 1

Posted July 21, 2014
I am a student at WCHS. This school is absolutely terrible. The teachers are mean, the students are self-centered, and the attendance lady is extremely moody. Your child has to wake up at 6AM every morning, and do hours of homework every night. This school organisms every test, for every class, on the same day to make it stressful for your child. If you want your child to have no childhood, this is the perfect school for him/her. I would rate this school a 0 out of 10

Posted February 22, 2014
The goal is to achieve mastery. Churchill succeeds. Offers Spanish and Chinese Offers instrumental music Offers drama Top test scores Lots of honors courses and AP

Winston Churchill High School 2

Posted October 26, 2013
I am just going to be brutally honest here. I went to this school, as did my brother, 3 cousins, and several people I know/have met over the past 15 years. My parent's house is just down the street as a matter of fact. From a learning perspective - the school prepares you for a top tier college, and I, myself, went onto GWU, my brother at Georgetown. This is similar to others I know that end up in colleges of the same level or better. No issues here - its great. The main problem -- which is very likely not be change anytime soon is the people. I am positive of this, as it hasn't changed in 15 years --- don't expect it to now. The surrounding area is relatively affluent, and thus the kids generally are stuck-up or feel the world owes them something. Fast cars and money at a young age generally lead to bad things. And in some cases -- parents aren't around due to travel/work etc. There is a HUGE designer drug problem. Promiscuity is also extremely high. Don't expect your kid not to have tried and/or been approached for either before graduation. As I said, parents are not around - so house parties where anything goes is a frequent occurrence. 90210 syndrome.

Posted October 06, 2013
I am a parent of a WCHS graduate, and I graduated from Churchill in 1973. I can't say enough good things about Churchill -- the teachers, the parents and the administration is deeply committed to students and their families. The school not only cares about the top students as is the case of many high schools, but they care about all of the students. I found the teachers to be accessible, and the lines of communication were always open. The parents are also very involved in every aspect of the school. It is not surprising that Churchill is a blue ribbon school and one of the very best across the nation. If someone is moving to the DC area, I highly recommend that they move into WCHS district for an education that is second to none. High quality education, in a warm and welcoming atmosphere.

Posted August 17, 2013
Stellar education in a great neighborhood. Very pleased with academics and administration as well as extracurricular offerings.

Posted March 26, 2013
Top notch school in every respect. Many Churchill graduates go on to top tier coleges. The wealth of the surrounding neighborhoods is certainly reflected in the student body, but I have found the kids here to be generally respectful and intelligent. In addition to outstanding academics, the school offers many opportunities for enrichment (a phenomenal orchestra, drama, sports--even a great crew team). Truly one of the best high schools in the area (if not the nation). Also, I disagree aout the helpfulness of the administration, since our experience has been very positive.

Winston Churchill High School 1

Posted January 03, 2013
Everything about this school is terrible. Most teachers are rude, the kids are stuck up, and the administration and office people are idiots. The one star is for a few teachers who actually care about the kids and truly want to help them with their education. If you're a parent considering sending their child to Churchill, I strongly recommend that you reconsider.

Posted June 27, 2012
Located in one of Maryland's safest neighborhoods, Winston Churchill High School proves to be of the top tier in educational institutions. Each department makes sure that parents are in the loop when it comes to their children's progress by keeping an electronic record that is easily accessible with a password or sending progress reports midway each quarter. Moreover, the staff is open to new ideas of possible interests and extracurricular activities that the school may provide. This enables students to be comfortable in pursuing their interests by creating new after-school clubs or addressing them to their teachers for more resources. Athletics are highly recommended and the celebration of games are a school-wide effort. Music and performance arts are equally praised and recognized. This is a school that cares about providing all opportunities to its students.

Posted October 27, 2011
As a parent of two kids in Churchill I couldn't be happier. Academically this school is amazing. The teachers work hard to make sure the kids understand what is being tought. The Churchill Spirit is fantastic. My kids have never been this involved before and they feel a great pride in their school. They have outstanding friends that I'm sure will last a lifetime.

Winston Churchill High School
11300 Gainsborough Rd, Potomac, MD  20854
Last modified Winston Churchill High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Winston Churchill High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top