Deer Park Middle Magnet School

Public | 6-8 | 1235 students

Posted August 17, 2014

Dpmms is fun but has many flaws . For instance some people are very rude to the teachers ,staff ect . When you walk around the hallways they only thing you hear form student are mainly cuss words . 6th 7th 8th grades are all cussing and fights happen almost everyday . Dpmms has a uniform policy but not many fallow it , u will see people we're ing jeans , hoddies ect and the administrators do nothing about it . I do have to give them credit , the dance team is great the Dance magnet kids are all so great ( thanks to mrs. Collins ) . Some teacher curse thinking us student didn't hear them . Other teacher don't know how handle students . But I also noticed at Dpmms their happens to be dating , boys touching girls at inappropriate places . The princal has got to do something about 8th and 7th graders taking down on the new 6th graders . In my 6th grade year I was Being bullied my 8 and 7th grader I even know this friend the got jumped by 3 ,7th graders . I have to admit Dpmms has some good qualities , out track team is one of the best our dance team is also good and out math 24 team is wonderful , masa is terrific , ect. .

Posted June 6, 2014

I am an 8th grader being promoted to high school.My experience at deer park wasn't the best but wasn't the worst.Some of the teachers are very disrespectful.Also At least 800 of the student are not disciplined at all.Im going to miss only a handful of teachers and students.The teachers and administrative team are bluffs.They say their going to be consequences for someone but it doesn't happen.And the rare time it does happen,it doesn't work.

Posted October 29, 2013

this school is terrible, I am an 8th grader at deer park and the principal (Mrs. butler ) is NOT a good principal at all. My mother works at a city school and I would rather go there. I recommend Sudbrook or Franklin. The teachers are amazing, and so are the assistant principals but mrs. Butler takes all the fun away from us and it very rude to her staff. I take place in some clubs and she was very disrespectful to us and our club teacher. everyone including a lot of teachers want a different nicer, but still strict principal. deer park was amazing before she came and she's ruined my middle school experience. If you love your child DONT let them come here!

Posted September 29, 2013

When I look at the recent accomplishments, I find it extremely encouraging! The Administration, Faculty, Staff and Families are working together to get the best results from the Students. The school, however, is still not completely wired for technology and that's the reason I give it 4 out of 5 stars. But with the continued support of all stakeholders at DPMMS, the school will get the wireless infrastructure our children deserve.

Posted July 6, 2013

This was my daughter's first year. The school plays are outstanding, students are very talented. The teachers promote excellence in students, and my daughter enjoyed the North Bay trip. I am happy with everything so far. I wish that all public schools would consider educating all boys together and all girls in classes together. However, I am happy with the school.

Posted June 19, 2013

I was very nervous to send my son in the beginning. There has been situations where the cops were there as I dropped him off and that went unexplained by administration. There weren't any letters or phone calls that went home. I would learn about the bomb threats and violent assaults from students on other students (sometimes using weapons) from my 6 grader when he came home from school. I do think that they are trying to turn the school around, but it will be a slow process. The teachers were well equipped to manage 20-30 kids per classroom and my son has managed to stay on honor roll. My concern for the teachers is that they don't always email/respond to me in a timely matter. But I would say 70% of the time I would get a response. My son would also complain about the horrible lunch and the filthy bathrooms, which I witnessed myself and also complained about. The best thing about the school is the magnet programs. My son loves his Mass Comm class. It has brought him out of his shell and he isn't as shy as he once was. He's excited to learn everyday and that's all I can ask for. I'm not sure that were going to continue at Deer park but on a scale of 1-10 I would give it a 7....

Posted September 14, 2012

I do not agree with the older posts. This school has been turning around and is amazing. I was very nervous to send my child there but I am very glad I did.

Posted September 15, 2011

This school has taken a turn for the worse. Once a top notch magnet school, has now become a disappointing school. The bullying issues are not well addressed and there is a great lack of communication from the staff to parents.

Posted August 2, 2011

Ms. Martin is DEFINITELY missed. The new assistant principal who thinks that silent lunches are effective needs to go back to remedial training. I'm not sure she's ever worked with children if she thinks that 12 & 13-yr olds can go all day without having some outlet to talk to friends. This places undue stress on the instructors who teach the late classes. Those teachers have 30 students who haven't been able to release any energy all day. Utterly ridiculous! This results in an escalation in the number of frustrated kids.

Posted July 23, 2011

I agree with some of the other posts in that the transition that the school is in is horrible. The administration is unorganized and VERY hard to work with. They have no control of the students and I agree they do NOT address bullying as they should. Instead of controling the kids and working with them they toss them to the side. One teacher actually told me she has too many kids to give any attention to just one. Then you need a new career cause this one isnt for you. I wish they would get it together before its too late for my child. The school is not what it used to be at all.

Posted June 15, 2011

Overall the 2010-2011 school has year has been in transition from one administration to another in which I give the transition a 2 even out to a 3.5.

Posted June 4, 2011

This was a decent school last year, but this year it is absolutely horrible. The principal and some of the faculty are not in control of this school. They don't address the bullying issues appropriately, AT ALL!!! They don't address many issues appropriately. I feel the school board needs to step in and investigate!!!

Posted July 8, 2010

Deer Park was the absolute BEST. I got promoted from this school this year and i know what it is worth. If you send you your child to that school you know they WILL get the education that they deserve no matter what Principal is there. The school, the teachers, the parents, staff and administration ALL have a great part in our school family. We thank Ms. Penelope Martin for everything she gave us and taught throughout our years of being at Dpmms. She was the Best and we will miss you. The school is overall GREAT.

Posted July 2, 2010

Deer Park Middle was the best school ever. I know the school may not stay that way because it will be under new leadership starting this year. There is no one in the world like ms. penelope Martin and she will truly be missed 2 deer park. No one can run it like she can.

Posted March 2, 2010

I Love This School !...This Is My Second Year At This School And Even Though Some Of The Teachers Are Very Annoying And Consided And Should Retire Or Be Fired ! It Is A Great School ! Ms.Martin Is The Absolute Best !!
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 18, 2010

In response to the february 3 post, we have the best administrators there are. We may have inexperienced teachers but each teacher was inexperienced before they became experienced. The principal is the best. She has an inexorable faith in her students and teachers. I know from personal experience that she will push you to do your best and wont stop until you do. If deer park was under any other leadership it would not be such a great school. Also we wouldn't have the many oppourtunities that we have because our wonderful principal Ms.Martin makes them happen with the help of the teachers. Our administration is the most approachable people I have ever met. The people in the front office do a great job. They treat each adult and student with great respect. I am a student at Deer Park and dont find any of these complaints to be true. Gps
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 3, 2010

I am not pleased with this school at all. I graduated from Deer Park 25 yrs ago and have seen and experienced significant changes within the school. i currently have a child that attends the school and have found the administration to be very condesending and demeaning both toward students and parents. Although the school has far too many inexperiend teachers I find that these teachers are willing to develop academic relationships between the child, teachers and parents. These teachers would benefit under new leadership. The adminsitration is not approachable and this does not foster a good relationship in the community. Visit... and watch the looks that you are given when you enter into the main office. Parental input clearly not wanted here!!!!

Posted December 12, 2009

This is absolutely hands down the beest school i have ever sent my child to. The principal ms.martin is wonderful andshe is very strict with the students. Most of the students are well articulated and overallthe environment is great

Posted November 19, 2009

This is my child's first year attending Deer Park. At frist, I felt a very welcoming atmosphere and got a good vibe from the administrators. However, it was long that I experienced the rudeness of staff and administrators. I would call concerning important issues to speak directly with the Prinicipal and would get the run around with no returned call. It was interesting to me how other staff members were able to call and go back and ask questions of the principal but I could not get a actual call from the principal myself! I noticed that they can look down upon certain individuals (parents) at times and be so rude and nasty towards you.

Posted June 17, 2009

This is the absolute worst school year that my child has ever experiienced in his whole life. He begged me to not send him to this school next. Those children at that school are crazy, rude and ghetto. Those children need the Mr. Clark (Principal from the movie Lean On Me). That's probably the only way they will understand. Sad...

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2014.

416 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2014.

418 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Maryland used the Maryland School Assessment (MSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The MSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

349 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2014.

396 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2014.

424 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2014.

423 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2014.

423 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 54%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Performing arts
  • Dance
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

9830 Winands Rd