Parkdale High School

Public | 9-12

Posted June 26, 2014

I feel as though Parkdale needs to clean the school more, especially the bathrooms and hallways because it doesn't look representable to me, but however, it is a good school

Posted October 9, 2013

This school is honestly not that bad. You have to make the best out of it. For a parent to say it is horrible,then they may not be pushing their child to take the extra step & make it a great experience.Our new principal has had former experience as a vice principal and is doing an amazing job.The IB program offers students in depth knowledge as well as the AP program. We also have Global Studies & a new Homeland Security Program.Parkdale is doing GREAT things.We've met with children from a boarding school in Kenya and are working to even sponsor them to study here.Many are finding out what they would like to do in higher level learning and are improving their grades.We have OUTSTANDING clubs such as Student Government Association and Robotics Club.If your child is having a hard time adapting to the school,try enrolling them in after school clubs or meet up with their teachers. The school can not help to make your child feel more comfortable unless you call and see. There is always room for improvement,but the school needs your input not only in what can be done better but that the parents and child are also taking steps to a comfortable environment. And this goes for ANY school.

Posted October 8, 2013

Really bad from all points of view. Do your "homework" and you will find out why.....

Posted February 24, 2011

Many things have changed at PHS with a new principal and administration staff, they have insured our safety and reciving the best education that PG county has to offer. With outstanding AP and IB programs you are almost garanteed the best results. Though, even the best schools have"riff raff" These students have a lack of home training and are only a few compared to the rest of the school. I believe the parents are the blame and you cannot expect teachers to do what should have already been done in the home. I love attending PHS!! And couldnt imagine going anywhere else. So NO Parkdale isnt a bad school, maybe a bit overcrowded but a great place to learn. And about the temperature in the building... Bring a sweater for cold days. The building a bit old thats all. No you wont get abused by gangs, beat up because your a freshman, or forced to use any type of drug. No there arent metal dectors, but yes there is security. Your safe!! Dont worry! If you come to school for the right reasons then you should have a wonderful experience. Congrats Class of 2011!!

Posted February 26, 2010

I don't know why people are always complaining about this school. It's not great, but it's not bad. The IB Program and the AP classes offered are excellent. This school has the best IB Program in the state. Some of the teachers are savvy, I agree with that. I think that a few of the teachers need to be more considerate and learn to how to show respect to their students. Overall, this school has not disappointed me. There are many studious and intelligent students in this school!

Posted November 28, 2009

My son is a freshman at Parkdale. We had not heard any good things about the school and were quite concerned. We are delighted with my son's progress. The school is safe, the 9th grade academy is state of the art, he loves his teachers and feels challenged. He has a good group of friends. The only rough spot is in the administration of the school, but it seems that savvy teachers have found ways around that to communicate directly with students. I'm thrilled with the school!

Posted September 20, 2008

My daughter is always coming home complaining about this school, it's always too cold or too loud or the teacher's attitude are more devil-may-care than anything else. This school needs a definitely needs serious disciplinary readjustments, and obviously the dress code isn't working as it should.

Posted September 9, 2008

I luv parkdale this scholl changed my attutude towards learning and the ajrotc team there is like a big family

Posted July 18, 2008

parkdale is home, it can't get better than that. we start from dirt and build our school to the mountian that is it. out sports team, especially soccer and softball try thier best. thanks MR. Ovatin and Mr. Watkins. Go parkdale panthers wooooo!!!!!

Posted January 3, 2008

The students who are not in the IB program are not being challenged enough. There is not enough emphasis on reading and critically analyzing literary classics. And there are too few indepth projects and compositions required.

Posted November 14, 2007

I love the school but some classrooms are colder than others and sometimes its way to hot. Its my first year here and were eating in the main gym while thay fix up our cafeterira. The good thing is there making a building for all freshmens. the school is way over crowed.

Posted June 15, 2007

I went to parkdale from 1997 - 2001. I am glad uniforms are now the attire and parkdale is on the 8 period system. There are serious issues with students disrespecting adults and peers, an attitude that is brought from home. One of the reasons talented teachers stay is to make a difference. Test scores are low. My PSAT was 850 in 10th grade but my SAT was 1320 in 12th. What makes the difference is a serious reading program as-early-as-possible/more rigorous math. I was fortunated to have teachers like Hearle who taught AP Chemistry, Siglar who taugh AP Biology, Knupp who taught AP Calculus, Hart-Nibre who taught Advance French. Also an excellent football/track/wrestling teams. Nevertheless, there are also unmotivated teachers. Students/parents must capitalize on parkdales' strengths; students could take AP courses from 11th grade onwards and eliminate a semester or more from college. For serious parents who want students to excel these strengths
—Submitted by a former student

Posted January 19, 2007

This is my 1st year as a parent at Parkdale and I believe that there should be more involvementfrom the parents, community, and our leaders. I have not had any major problems in the school as far, but I've notice that the children has a lack of school spirit. What our school system needs is more teaches who really cares and doesn't wonder if 'that's included in my paycheck'. There's disrespect that goes on at Parkdale between the teachers, coaches, students, and parents.

Posted August 29, 2006

As a mother of a student attending Parkdale and one that graduated from Parkdale I feel that it is a good school. I know that there is always room for improvement and that is why I encourage parents to take an active part in their child's education. Become involved! Visit the principal and have a chat with him/her. Visit the teachers when there is a problem or just go there to observe. My son was honor roll at Parkdale. He did four years at Howard University and will continue so that he can become a dentist. I am proud of Parksdale, but like everything else they make mistakes. I would like to see them get buses for our children walking to school from the 62nd-70th Street or Place areas. Let us know who we can talk to to get this serious matter addressed. When my son attended there were buses.

Posted May 8, 2006

The principal seems to be uninvolved and quite unaffected by the troubles in the school. Kids are falling through the cracks left and right.

Posted February 24, 2006

I am a parent that has children in this school, there is no type of secure enviorment. And for the teachers who ignore what they see. YOU are responsible for everything that goes on. Especially when you don't notify responsible parents.

Posted October 15, 2005

I am writing here though I am not a parent. I am the School Testing Coordinator. Some friends have rated our principal in a way that does not do him justice. He is one of the most enlightened educator with whom I have worked, exhibiting a vision for improvement evidenced in the offering of opportunities to both students and staff to raise their performance level. I know very few leaders who will respect their wards or staff in their pathway choices as our principal. In addition our principal is compassionate, caring for more than 50 CRI and Ortho students. He has set in motion a school-wide Improvement Plan that is well in place and starting to kick in. Test based, we are suffering, but growth based, we are improving. Our school is slowly but surely becoming a great school! We shall overcome!
—Submitted by an administrator

Posted September 22, 2005

I went to parkdale, and there is MUCH room for improvement. Some teachers are good, but overall, they're pretty shabby. Supervision is a joke. You wouldn't believe all the things students get away with there. There are over-crowded classes, and not enough attention. It seemed as though no one cared.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 26, 2005

My son is now in the 11th grade at this school. I must say the teachers he had in the 9th grade were unspeakably dynamic. He had a difficult time turning into a teen and taking that step from middle to high but they were on target with him and offer help to him and me. The 10th was also a good year with good teachers. I hate to see some of the teachers retiring. I do think that parents who have problems with teachers need to go the extra mile for their child in an adult manner. I only had one problem and one teacher involved. The principle and the counselor did listen and followed up. I appreciate that. With the demographics rapidly changing, I feel the school is atleast average. We as parents could make it better. Call your state leaders to give teachers what they need.

Posted February 24, 2005

I go to Parkdale currently and it is a decent school. It's not the best but it can get better especialy with the great teachers. You grow to love it.

Grade level

Algebra

The state average for Algebra was 84% in 2013.

415 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2013.

416 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 83% in 2013.

420 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Maryland used the Maryland High School Assessments (HSA) to test students in English 2, Algebra, and Biology upon completion of each course. The HSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. Students are required to pass the tests in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Source: Maryland State Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 66%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Latin
  • Russian
  • Spanish

Health & athletics

• Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Foreign languages taught

• Art teacher(s)
  • Assistant principal(s)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Sports

• Drama

School culture

• Join PTO/PTA
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6001 Good Luck Rd